Additional costs of buying tackle from Canada - Spey Pages
 12Likes
  • 6 Post By jdcross
  • 1 Post By eriefisher
  • 1 Post By Aldo
  • 3 Post By herkileez
  • 1 Post By jdcross
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Captcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 290
Additional costs of buying tackle from Canada

Theres an item I'm interested in on the big auction site. The item in question is located in Canada, but I live in the US. Anybody know what taxes/fees I would be subject to for making the purchase and having it shipped across the border?

Thanks in advance!

-Sean
Captcaveman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Registered User
 
Steelheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 393
Ha! Not much if anything. Plus your money is worth 1/3 more!
Steelheadfreak is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Registered User
 
Back Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Back East Home at Last
Posts: 2,445
Get it for a steal....... Unlike Us poor Canucks

I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach

Mercury
Back Eddy is online now  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Captcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 290
Thanks for the input guys. I believe I'll bid!

-Sean
Captcaveman is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 07:03 PM
The Skeena in the fall
 
jdcross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcaveman View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I believe I'll bid!
A few things to check.
Which currency is the item offered in?
If it is in $CDN you may find the exchange rate used by PayPal is not the same as shown on eBay.
Make sure the seller offers shipment by Canada Post.
If not specified send a note to the seller and confirm they will mail the item by Canada Post.
FedEx and UPS may charge you a custom clearance fee and in some cases collect sales taxes if your state has one.
USPS will not likely do that.
Nooksack Mac, Snagly, SLSS and 3 others like this.
jdcross is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Captcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 290
Thanks for the tips! My finance manager will appreciate it!

-Sean
Captcaveman is online now  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:09 PM
Registered User
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,291
I bought something from a Candian seller on this board for $225 CDN. BY the time I paid for shipping, etc. to the US, it came to about $235 USD if I recall correctly. Hope this helps.

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"
- Duke Ellington
Aldo is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:40 AM
The Skeena in the fall
 
jdcross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
I bought something from a Candian seller on this board for $225 CDN. BY the time I paid for shipping, etc. to the US, it came to about $235 USD if I recall correctly. Hope this helps.
Are you sure about that?
You're talking about over 70 USD in mailing costs?
jdcross is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Broken Down Spey Freak
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 1,232
$225can is currently about $165usd. Shipping, of course would depend on the size and weight of the item. However, as a Canadian, I'm quite familiar with getting dry screwed by Canada Post. The cost of mailing an item and the time to deliver is completely unacceptable here. I recently received 2 items from fellow board members. One is in B.C. and the other Sweden, The item from Sweden arrived in a shorter time than the item from B.C. Neither were large items but the handling time of Canada Post is crazy.

Currently you can purchase insured and expedited deliver but they will not guarantee the time you pay for but will still take the money. If you mail anything in this country, regardless of where in the country it's going, your looking at 4 days to 2 weeks. I'm sure shipping cross border will add to that but maybe not. Courier companies here aren't much better. You will get it faster but you also pay huge fees. Besides, Purolator, I believe, is part of Canada Post.
ClaudeH likes this.


Low Sodium Chrome-Fly Fishing Great Lakes Tribs!
eriefisher is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 07:51 PM
Registered User
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcross View Post
Are you sure about that?
You're talking about over 70 USD in mailing costs?
You know, looks like I did not remember that correctly. Went back to check my Paypal....Sale price was $200 US, paid about $35 to have it sent to me from Canada.
jdcross likes this.

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"
- Duke Ellington
Aldo is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Registered User
 
herkileez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcaveman View Post
Theres an item I'm interested in on the big auction site. The item in question is located in Canada, but I live in the US. Anybody know what taxes/fees I would be subject to for making the purchase and having it shipped across the border? Thanks in advance!
I often ship items from Canada to the US, using Canada Post. I get a flat rate of $22 to ship anywhere in the US, for small tracked package up to 1 kg (2.2 lbs). I've never heard of anyone having to pay duty on it.
Stay away from Fedex/UPS/Purolator, as they make it cost as much as they can, charging a "customs handling fee", and making sure you get nailed with duty charges as well.
herkileez is online now  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:35 PM
Registered User
 
sevilla315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
I bought something from a Candian seller on this board for $225 CDN. BY the time I paid for shipping, etc. to the US, it came to about $235 USD if I recall correctly. Hope this helps.
I checked on duty calculator and for 225cad there is no duty into the US from Canada. So this can't be correct.
In fact there is none up to $10,000CAD - so for all practical purposes there is no duty/vat into the US from Canada, unfortunately not the other way round.
One thing to note is that the admin charges by a courier are only charged if there is a query about duty/tax so since there are none, then it should just be sent straight through without duty calculation and therefore admin fees.

In the UK I've often gotten a bill for VAT/duty when all the documentation is correct (ie a warranty repair) for no duty/VAT liability. The onus is then on me to provide documentation of sending the item out, emails, bills etc which then gets my money refunded, about 2 months later, less admin fee. I've always argued the case that this should also be refunded but always declined. To me this is income generation.

Last edited by sevilla315; 06-30-2020 at 05:01 PM.
sevilla315 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 08:05 PM
DLD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bc interior, kootenay
Posts: 229
Maybe I,m just lucky but today received a line sent from PEI to BC in 5 days, thats pretty much all way across country and cost for stamps was under 2.00 Canadian. I cant,t drive to town for 2 bucks. I,m a supporter of Canada Post, USpostal Service and UK small packets, Stuff arrives nearly always safe and cost wise its really pretty reasonable, what would it cost to drive same distance.Good luck on your auction bid Capt. Daryl



Quote:
Originally Posted by eriefisher View Post
$225can is currently about $165usd. Shipping, of course would depend on the size and weight of the item. However, as a Canadian, I'm quite familiar with getting dry screwed by Canada Post. The cost of mailing an item and the time to deliver is completely unacceptable here. I recently received 2 items from fellow board members. One is in B.C. and the other Sweden, The item from Sweden arrived in a shorter time than the item from B.C. Neither were large items but the handling time of Canada Post is crazy.

Currently you can purchase insured and expedited deliver but they will not guarantee the time you pay for but will still take the money. If you mail anything in this country, regardless of where in the country it's going, your looking at 4 days to 2 weeks. I'm sure shipping cross border will add to that but maybe not. Courier companies here aren't much better. You will get it faster but you also pay huge fees. Besides, Purolator, I believe, is part of Canada Post.
DLD is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:52 PM
The Skeena in the fall
 
jdcross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLD View Post
Maybe I,m just lucky but today received a line sent from PEI to BC in 5 days, thats pretty much all way across country and cost for stamps was under 2.00 Canadian. I cant,t drive to town for 2 bucks. I,m a supporter of Canada Post, USpostal Service and UK small packets, Stuff arrives nearly always safe and cost wise its really pretty reasonable, what would it cost to drive same distance.Good luck on your auction bid Capt. Daryl
Daryl
I’m with you
I find Canada Post provides decent service at reasonable cost.
In Canada we have a very large geographical area to service and a small population to spread the costs over.
Some people expect lower costs and faster delivery like the US but we don’t have the infrastructure or tax base to pay for it.
klickrolf likes this.
jdcross is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome