Spey Pages banner

Hook conversions?

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  coastrider 
#1 ·
So the patterns im tying call for Gamakatsu ss15 or sc15 and they are not located locally. The question is what would be the Mustad or Tiemco equivalent? I couldnt find much on these hooks. I was thinking maybe O'shaunesy hooks but want to be sure as one is similar to a scud hook but tin plated

#2 ·
Hi I believe the equiv of the SS15 Gamakatsu is as follows
Mustad 3407 Daiichi 2546 Tiemco 811S and Partridge CS52. I would point out that these are Salt Water Hooks acording to my info.
Hope this helps. Can't help with the SC15 other to say it is STD Wide Gape
Good luck with your tying.
Shaun

#3 ·
Gamakatsu SC15: Saltwater, Wide Gap, Tin Finish
- Similar to Daiichi 3111 except for finish and bend
- No cross-reference for Mustad
- No cross-reference for Tiemco

Gamakatsu SS15: Saltwater, Perfect Bend, Tin Finish
- Similar to Daiichi 2546 except for bend and finish
- Similar to Mustad 31014, 34007, 3407, 3366, 34009, 3406, 3406B except for bend and finish
- Similar to TMC 811s except for bend

Information taken from Hooks for the Fly by William E. Schmidt

#7 ·
SW Hook Equivalencies

An excellent source of SW hook equivalencies between the various hook makers as well as the hooks is saltwaterflies dot com. For example, the Mustad C47SD is the nearest equivalent to the Gamakatsu SC-15 and the Mustad 34007 is the nearest equivalent to the Gamakatsu SS-15. But IMO you are restricting yourself unnecessarily if you only look locally for your hook needs. Why not just order on the internet exactly what you need, like from Chris at the above mentioned site?

#8 ·
An excellent source of SW hook equivalencies between the various hook makers as well as the hooks is saltwaterflies dot com. For example, the Mustad C47SD is the nearest equivalent to the Gamakatsu SC-15. But IMO you are restricting yourself unnecessarily if you only look locally for your hook needs. Why not just order on the internet exactly what you need, like from Chris at the above mentioned site?
Not that I dont like shopping online, I like supporting our local economy as well. Times like this lately require people to do a bit of at home shopping to employ people as the internet shops do not generaly employ too many people or atleast not local people. Thanks for the tip though. Cheers, Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.