Spey Pages banner

Lining a Sage 9140-4

13K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Ricinus 
#1 ·
Good day to all, my first post. I have purchased a Sage 9140-4 "Brownie". I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to Spey and could use a little help chosing a line. Rio site has a bunch of recommendations regarding lines, but I'm not sure which would be better for learning- Skagit, Scandi or ???. I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks for any help.

Mike

#2 ·
A 550 gr Skagit head is a good choice if you want to go that route. When I got my 9140-4 Brownie long ago I used a DT10F line on it. I think a DT9F would have been a better choice within those ancient constraints. The Skagit head casts so much better. I think a similar weight Spey line, or Scandi line would also be fine.

Sg

#3 · (Edited)
Easy

Scandi 580gr, Skagit 650
Nextcast FF45 would be great for you, 8/9
The WA if you want tips, still in the 8/9

A Midbelly length in 650 grains is excepional on that rod. That would be the FF70 or WA70 in 7/8

We have them all

#4 ·
I built this exact rod a couple years ago except not the brownie it is a older model. Mine loves a 650 skagit. This rod never fails to amaze me I ask it to cast some big heavy junk and it does it with no effort. Or you can put on a floating tip and it will preform equally as well. It loves a slow movement and loads deep and heavy when that is done.

#5 ·
I have this rod and a few other brownies and Poppy at The Red Shed has put me in a Delta 8/9 for the 9140...a 7/8 will quicken it up a bit. I have Delta's for each rod...7136, 8150, 9140...and am very pleased. Search 9140 brownie or 9140 traditional on here and you'll find a ton of info. Watch out...you're gonna own another 3 or 4 rods before you know it!

#13 ·
Hello.. Gentlemen,note here please that the "Brownie" and the Traditional are VEERY much different rods.. Albeit both are 9140-4. As someone here recommended,550 Skagit is nice for the "Brownie",but my Traditional 9140 has no problems with a 625 Skagit.. A 650 Skagit will certainly bend the "Brownie" deeep down. Try for yourself. Yours borano20

#7 ·
Congrats to your purchase! Its quite an old school rod in this scandi fashion time. I still use her myself a lot and you will surely get into this psychedlic casting rythm with a Snowbee 2D Floater #9-10 and with a LeeWulff Triangle Intermediate #9 you will have a perfect set up for Atlantics in old Europe.

#9 ·
You're gonna love that rod. Coming from primarily trout fishing with single hand rods myself...the initial learning curve was HUGE for me. Don't allow yourself to get frustrated. Just trying to get a mental grasp on the whole set up was tough enough for me that until after fishing with my rod a few times and talking to lots of folks and searching out info on here and trying a couple different rods and lines...it's finally just barely beginning to come together to the point where I can begin to understand the relationship all of the components have to one another. Quite honestly...that's been part of the fun...trying to figure this very new style out. Do yourself a favor and attend a spey clave whenever you can. TONS of info. Good luck with your rod...you will love it and this style of casting. As I said in my previous post...just beware of the "bug"...you're gonna get bit! Pair that rod with a Hardy Salmon 2...classic old school set up. I have a 570 skagit for mine in addition to the Delta. The 570 was a recommendation I picked up on here and from a few folks. Cast it last night and it seemed to feel ok . Will know in a week as I will be on the river with it.

#10 ·
Thanks for the encouragement and the heads up on the learning curve. I'll definitely be looking for lessons, probably not till spring as we are close to hard water season here. I figure if I get lessons in spring, I'll have all summer to practice.

I'd love to find an old Hardy to pair up with the rod, I have a few, but none big enough.

Regards

Mike

#14 ·
The Salmon 2 fits the rod aesthetically very well and I ended up just putting enough lead core line on the spool before backing, etc. Balances perfectly. I use a salmon 2 on my 9140-4, 9140-3 and 7136-4 brownies. As for the last poster. What are the specs of the rod you are referring to as traditional...which graphite, color and weight? I ask as I have tried my best to figure out the progression of the brownies and the 9140-4 graphite III brownie is what I am familiar with as the traditional action, followed by the euro 9140-3 graphite III...very fast...more of a 10 wt rod...followed by the graphite IIIe (a bit faster) greenie for a couple years...then the tigers eye (caramel...same as the greenie is my understanding with a color change) graphite iiie brownie. I own each of the above rods and thought I had that series figured out finally.

#15 ·
Hello.. I´m sorry for being unspecified on this. Better to refer to blank colour. You have,it seems,the series picked out all right. I´m comparing the old "Brownie" 9140-4 to the later "tiger eye" version. Would you use the same lines on these rods?? For the nerds here,the euro GFL 9140-3 was introduced before the GFL 9140-4 (1991). Looking in the 2004 Anglers Workshop catalogue,the "tiger eye" blanks are called "Traditional" there. Also a series of "European style",the faster ones,in "XP" green. Yours borano20

#20 ·
Hello there Gentlemen. I had the GIII 9140-4 in my collection of Sage "Brownies" a few years back. As I recall, it was either a Rio Midspey or Delta Long 8/9 that I lined the rod with. I beleive it was a 570 Skagit Comp that I tried just before selling the rod and though it was a good fit. The rod came with an up-locking seat (as did the 8150 and 7136) that made finding the right Hardy reel a bit problematic. The Salmon No.2 was too light and the No. 3 was way too much reel. The seat was also prone to coming loose so I replaced all of them. By reversing the seats to down-locking I was able to mount lighter reels to each rod. For the 9140 it was an early Marquis Salmon No. 2. I just weighed the reel at 14.1 ounces. Sorry I didn't feel like peeling the line and backing so the weight is with a full spool, but this should give you a ball-park figure.

The 7136 with Marquis Salmon No.1, and the 8150 with the "Salmon" Bougle are good match-ups in weight and line capacities.

As for which series carry the "Brownie" designation: There is only one and that is the GIII series. There are "Traditional" or "European" styles within the series: The 8150, 9140, and 7136 all 4-piece are the "Traditional" style while the rest are "European." I don't know about time-line and differences in the other Graphite editions, but keep in mind that THE "brownie" 8150-4 was only offered in the Graphite III series.

#23 ·
Hello.. The oddball in this neverending series of Sage products,must be the very early
16´rod. The butt section is an extended 14´,by adding 2 more feet,it makes sixteen. So the top and middle section are shared with the contemporary 9140-3 rod. Have one here,made from blank,B9160-3GFL. It is not the later 10160-3 rod,which I found in my 1990 Anglers Workshop. It´s not very much of a "Euro" style,especially if compared to my GIV 10151-4. I haven´t so far,but must try it with a full Spey line. It´s pretty sweet,lotsa lift and control comes for free.. And I don´t think it is a GIII blank.. Yours borano20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.