Spey Pages - View Single Post - Scandi heads
Thread: Scandi heads
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Tkhour

Quote:
Originally Posted by permit78 View Post
Just wondering if any body has some advice on scandi heads. I have bought scandi heads for my spey rods with the advice of my spey guru and in every occcurence he has gone lighter than the rod specs. he sold me a 375 grain for my Beulah platinum 13'2 while the webpage has it recommendation for over 400 grains. Same with my t&t 13'0 9 weight he's sold me a 550 grain head which is recommended for my burky 13'9 8 weight. Why would his preference be on the lighter weight? Don't want to insult the guy by asking him. I basically fish for atlantic salmon and haven't done any steelhead applications yet. Another question. When fishing with scandi heads I have heard that longer leaders are recommended. With a floating poly leader should I use a full leader size at the end or straight mono? Started out with long bellies and am trying the scandi because it seems like less effort, Just not fond of all the stripping.
I have the Beulah rod and a 450 gr airflo scandi compact or Beulah elixir will rock on this rod. With every poly in your bag. Good luck

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome