Spey Pages - View Single Post - Scandi heads
Thread: Scandi heads
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
willi

Quote:
Originally Posted by permit78 View Post
Just wondering if any body has some advice on scandi heads. I have bought scandi heads for my spey rods with the advice of my spey guru and in every occcurence he has gone lighter than the rod specs. he sold me a 375 grain for my Beulah platinum 13'2 while the webpage has it recommendation for over 400 grains. Same with my t&t 13'0 9 weight he's sold me a 550 grain head which is recommended for my burky 13'9 8 weight. Why would his preference be on the lighter weight? Don't want to insult the guy by asking him. I basically fish for atlantic salmon and haven't done any steelhead applications yet. Another question. When fishing with scandi heads I have heard that longer leaders are recommended. With a floating poly leader should I use a full leader size at the end or straight mono? Started out with long bellies and am trying the scandi because it seems like less effort, Just not fond of all the stripping.
Have you tried them yet? I don't see anything wrong. You have not added in the poly/versi spey leader weight yet, which with 10'-15' versi leaders put's into the zone. The geographic region of Canada I suspect you will be fishing Atlantic Salmon is noted for amongst the clearest rivers in the world. I could certainly see why one would ideally preferance touch & go cast's there with light anchors, finese Scandi as compared to power Scandi with more horsepower under the hood in that region. It's the birthplace, dial in grounds of finesse,long,olive camo tip'ed Scandi heads like the Rio AFS on rods exactly that size. A cup of coffee bet, say's that's very similar grains that Simon Gawesworth, Henrik Mortensen and other noted caster/fisherman would use there, why not you? Being "new" really does not need to change that any more than loading a 905 single hand Trouter for dry's with a 5 wf-f rather than a 6. The larger 9wt x 550grain + poly leader should handle any fly size you would use there, even in high water, with light Scandi it would seem to me.

IMO - Learning to touch and go (single and snake) spey cast does not get easier, increasing grains, to upper zones, unlike waterborn - sa casts may to some. Likely of more importance, to include his grain choice for you but, also for your overall ease of use while learning is your HEAD TO ROD LENGTH RATIO. If he has you on the short end of the stick (likely does for your ease) it should also be on the bottom end of the grain rate scale. A .2 cent wager bets, he has you short ratio and ideal grains for such, starting out. The short ratio will make it much easier for you starting out.

I give this un-known instructor the benefit of doubt personally on this one I take it he is working with you in person? If so, can't get any better than that and sure the heck beats mail order/web attempts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome