Spey Pages - View Single Post - Derek Brown speyrod
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
ISC Archives

Originator: highlanderDate: 9/21/2001 5:56 AM
Bruce

I picked up the first D/B winston rod I could find, the 8/9 was the first rod ready in a series of four line weights. I have been very impressed with this rod, thier is nothing on the market that can compare as far as total power and distance. The weight of the rod took me a little getting used to but now feels comfortable. I would say that its very hard to overline this rod, it will cast a 10/ll mastery spey quite well but the 9/10 accelerator is just dead on for a floating line. I recently took Dereks course and when he cast my 8/9 with the 9/10 accelerator he really liked the way it loaded the rod through the mid section which got us to thinking that its really a 9/10 in disguise. The same thing went for the 9/10 winston it would cast the 10/11 mastery spey beautifully as far as you could cast it. So as far as the 10wt rod is concerned it will cast the heaviest lines available on the market, 11/12 wt lines. They are going to have a 7/8 out sometime in the near future I believe there are a few finished rods out thiert now but I think this rod will be more of an 8/9. I did try a 9/10 midspey with tips on my rod and it casted very sweet, not bogging the rod down at all. So here is my two cents worth on the new rods.

Brian

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome