Spey Pages banner

The River Why

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Moonlight 
#1 ·
Just started reading The River Why, what a great book so far!!

#3 ·
All of his books are great
The Brothers K is an epic
hey Jack , I got those feather samples, those feathers are awsome!! Thank You, I will be ordering some as soon as my paychecks permit. I will look for his other books, just the opening chapter where his dad and mom meet is pretty damn funny!! I read that a movie has been made of the river why with some big name actors in it but there are some leagal issues with its release?
Mike Bell

#9 ·
Saw "The River Why" as a thread title and had to check it out. What a great read.

As a native Northwesterner, I really appreciated his use of Northwest vernacular. It made a great read even better for me.

Well worth reading anyone.

While I'm here commenting on some great Northwest angling literature, I'd be remiss to not mention "Dark Waters" or "The Angler's Coast" by Russell Chatham or anything by Haig Brown.

#10 ·
Got to read a little last night after the kids went to sleep, I am now to where he sets up the aquarium in his little cabin with all his newly aquired pets. Great read. I think I am even learning something about myself. There seems to be a hidden message in this chapter.Im allways in a hurry trying to work as much water as I can as quick as I can, while it is rewarding ,I think Im missing something with this approach.

#12 ·
Guys,

Thanks for this thread, I'll be reading Brothers K ...

I have been really enjoying Waldie, "Travers Corners" and Rick Bass the last few years, on top of all the fly fishing (Haig Brown, Chatham, Lyons, etc.,).

I like to read titles appropriate to time of year and my fishing interests. One of the best books I read this winter was "One Man Sangrila" by Ralph Wahl, loved that book! Didnt like the part of him catching all kinds of steelies in the winter, being that was a very different time than today.

Bruce Harang (halycon), I recall, has a lot of really excellent reviews on his site, although I dont agree with his assessment all the time, they are still excellently written.

#15 ·
I can count on the fingers of one hand the fiction books I have read since I graduated college 19 years ago...The River Why is one of those. It has probably the greatest cast of characters I have ever met in one place - a real treasure, one of those books you genuinely are sad to finish. If you suffer from withdrawals as I did when you finish, try "The Earth is Enough" by Harry Middleton.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.