Spey Pages - View Single Post - Emerald Princess - sbs
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
robmdq
Forever Learning

Part 3/3

11: Once you reach the butt, come back with the silk to the front, make sure all the wraps are even and there are no bumps. Secure and trim the waste. (Sorry for the loosy focus on this picture)

12: Make the ribbing, first one golden oval, then followed by the twisted silk (can do it untwisted, but i like it the other way) and finally the last golden oval tinsel. Try not to make much bump at the securing point. This can be a good time to change thread if you were using a working thread different than black. (or just paint it with black permanent marker)

13: Tie in a long fibered black saddle. Since i had saddles with just short sections of long fibers, i will use both sides of the feather, otherwise i would just strip one side of it.

14: When i do a fly without body hackle, I like this first collar to be a bit wide, usually around 4 or 5 milimeters wide.

15: Second collar, just two turns of guinea fowl with one side stripped.

16: Tie in four strands of holographic flashabou as underwing, they should be about the same lengh as the final wing, do not go past the tip of the pheasant crest.

17: Now tie in a bunch of previously stacked grey squirrel tail hair. Secure it firmly. i do not use any kind of glue for this, just several very tight and firm wraps with the tying thread. If i have trouble with it, i like to apply bee wax to the thread in that section, but nothing else.

17: Tie in the junglecock, for this fly i like it quite small and pointing in about the same direction as the wing.

19: Cut all excess, clean everything up, make the head and apply a gently clear varnish coating on it.

I hope you like this fly and you catch some nice ones with it

Cheers
Rob

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome