Spey Pages - View Single Post - tailing loop cackhanded snap C
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Yooper-Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSpey View Post
Just a thought... What cast finishes all of the casts two-handers make: it's a Roll Cast. Every cast uses this as a finish so practice a Roll Cast. Start with the rod low, lift the tip to eye level and slowly sweep the tip (cack-handed) to the firing position, hesitate/stop. Now, from that position make a Roll Cast.

So what keeps those evil tailing loops at bay--it's a slow and smooth acceleration to a stop. You hit early your tail. You hit it in the middle you tail. You hit it 6" (5cm) from the stop and slow down and you get a very, very late tail. It has to be slow and smooth stroke to a stop and nothing else will do. Think of it this way; if you can make the same cast over your dominant side without tailing you can do it cack-handed--it's the same effing stroke!

Practice my drill until it becomes normal and start by doing it slowly and stop--initially--at the top before the finish. As you get better flow through SLOWLY without a stop.

The last element to this is where the rod tip is in the firing position. Because you are cross handed your rod tip might, just might, be way too vertical. If your rod tip is at 12:30 (12:00 is straight up and down and 1:15 to 1:30 is ideal for an average cast) or even more upright, well, your screwed. Too short a casting stroke for the amount of line beyond the rod tip will cause a tailing loop everytime unless you are a casting God. Reason is, the you need more stroke length to achieve the smooth acceleration you need but, because you are cack-handed you're not reaching back far enough with the top hand. Your shoulder is blocking the way. Soooo, stop looking straight ahead and look at your dang hands and find out where they are when you start the cast. If it is really upright, your DEAD! You need to be a bit more flexible and trusting that a top hand that is reaching a bit farther back won't grab too much water and too much stick.

Good luck and hope this helps,

John Van Derhoof
FFI THCI, MCI, BOGE
I like what you are saying here. I fixed a tailing loop by realizing I was bringing the rod too vertical! As I watched it the anchor was out and when I would pull the rod to a more 12-12:30 position it was no longer in a straight line with the anchor. This was more predominant on a double Spey cack handed. So I just would stay more compact ......aka keep the right hand shoulder in, and it would naturally stay at that 1:30-2 o’clock position.

I wonder, because of the nature of your body position, if the cack handed casts should be a little more of an angle than the dominant side cast?

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

PSALM 16:11

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome