Spey Pages banner

Meiser and ACR

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  SpeySpaz 
#1 ·
Not meaning to start anything, but looking for serious opinions from the community regarding both these companies. I've heard some awesome things about Bob. Really impressed with his integrity that I've heard and that I've seen here in the community. I tip my hat to Bob for this.

I guess my question is if you had to decide between Meiser and Anderson, who do you go with? Maybe one of each? :p I'm interested in a new 3-4 wt. Just from what I'm seeing online, Anderson's ACR is cheaper...but yeah, I wanna hear your opinions. Thanks.

#4 ·
I know the apprentice rod maker at ACR and I am sure he would be willing to talk to you if you wanted (I would have to check with him obviously). I'm sure if you called, Gary would be willing to chat, too. They are straight shooters and won't try to sell you just for the sale. Bob Meiser also has a great reputation, as is obvious from the forums. PM me if interested.

#5 ·
I don't think you could go wrong with either of those fine gentlemen :)
I have personal experience with Bob Meiser and can only give great comments about his knowledge and foresight. A true gentleman of our sport.
Gary Anderson has a great reputation for guiding customers and building what they want and like. Major kudos have been given to Gary here over the years !! I know quite a few members here that are extremely pleased with Gary's craftsmanship and product.

Mike

#8 ·
I have more Meiser rods than Anderson, but that is not a statement of quality or character. I like Meiser for the steelhead size fish and Anderson in the troutier sizes. Having said that, I have fallen for one of the Anderson rods with the latest material in an 8 weight and it is perfect. Something to consider, Meiser rods are rated slightly heavier, say a half weight up from Gary’s rods in my opinion at least in steelhead sizes. My lightest Meiser is a 5 weight and I couldn’t ask for a better Steelhead rod for small river Fall fish.

Regardless, you could order blind and come out a winner from either shop. Good luck!

DH

#9 ·
Both great rod builders, but when it comes to the micro speys as you say 3-4 wt. Gary’s has it nailed hands down! If you want a 3 or a 4 wt that’s exactly what you are getting! Some builders now days have such a large window grain +~ a hundred grains, so is it a 3 or is it a 5? That’s where Gary shines, you want a 3 you have a 3 that falls in that grain window, and when casting it paired up with a true 3 wt line.. it’s so dreamy! Plus you feel the fight of the size fish you were wanting to target wth that rod weight, no over powered feeling what so ever.

#10 ·
As has been said before in the thread, both very fine gentleman and both make very fine rods. I am fortunate enough to own multiple rods from each.

Gary has a little more of a niche in the super-light, trout spey area. Bob has more diversity of actions, and more stuff in the longer, heavier categories. My own quiver is disproportionately ACR in the lighter rods, Meiser in the mid-weights. B&W for the heavy artillery. That said, heaviest fish I've landed on a swung fly, a Chinook in an unlikely time and place, was on an ACR rod. Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.