Spey Pages - View Single Post - Favorite trout reels?
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Botsari

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
Trout reels are first and foremost a place to store line. Most trout outside of Labrador, Chile, Argentina, and New Zealand are played by stripping line in and thus the heavyweight features of the more expensive reels are not essential to the aim of the game. If you want to get the top dollar reel, I say go for it. But, I have stable of older Hardys from the Featherweight up through Hardy Marquis 7 hanging below my trout rods from 3 up to 7 weight. I have splurged on a couple of the small Bougle' reels because I like the look. I wouldn't say no to a smaller Perfect in LHW, but the extra weight may throw my lighter weight graphite rods out of balance. We have to remember a lot of the older classic reels were designed and made for use on much heavier bamboo rods.

Buy what you can afford and appreciate, but don't kid yourself into thinking it will be a necessity for 95% of your trout fishing.
Agreed. We have a lot of folks on here with classy (and expensive) tastes, so the collection of Saras, Bogdans and Perfects is no surprise, but I was still hoping to see at least one along the lines of “I love grandpa’s old reel that he got from his father and has been in the family for 4 generations.

I like my Marquis 6, LRH and Princess ... as my line holders. While it works perfectly the LRH in particular has an especially lovely, honestly-earned decrepitude to its outer finish - very wabi sabi! Of course this reel is not what many would call a truly an “old” one, as it is not even older than I am, nor a true “classic”. And unfortunately it was not my grandpa’s reel, though I’m sure it was someone’s grandpa’s reel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F955F5CF-16CE-41D6-9671-98E1EF1E23E6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	750.3 KB
ID:	342098  

“Gravity is a harsh mistress!”, The Tick

Last edited by Botsari; 04-22-2019 at 12:03 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome