Spey Pages - View Single Post - Skagit Casting Defined
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 AM
JDJones
JD

Here we go again. Ed, and his followers were on the receiving end of a lot of flack from the traditionalists back in the day. Comments like "that is not a real Spey cast" & "those are lures, not flies" It continues to this day. Not to mention "cack handed casts" "Back in the day" all you could get in the way of a line capable of being cast on a two hand rod was a double taper. The go to rod was the Sage 9140-4, and no one on this side of the pond had a clue how to cast them. Even the Rio the Windcutter line received a lot of flack from the traditionalists. "It promotes bad habits" "You could never get away with that with a double taper line." Anything not done exactly as Alexander Grant did it back in his day, on his river, was unacceptable. And fwiw, Grant's lines were more like the Wulff triangle taper lines! Graphite rods were somehow OK but weight forward lines were not? Regardless of the line used, a double spey cast is a sustained anchor cast. Only the terminology is new. Get over it.

Why is it somehow OK to put a bobber on a fly line and fish a two fly rig with a heavily weighted hook masquerading as a fly, but taboo the fish an intruder from a fly line designed specifically to cast & fish it? A rose by any other name smells as sweet, even if it is cast Skagit style, cackhanded.

Thanks for digging up that bit of history. There used to be more on a "slowsnap" page but I'm afraid that is no more.

I fish because the voices inside my head tell me to.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome