Spey Pages - View Single Post - What Boat do you use and why?
View Single Post
post #29 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 AM
Catcherman

Cool topic. From largest to smallest:

16 foot Skagit River Flatbottom Aluminum Jet Boat-Built by my dad in the mid 80s, I acquired this a few years ago and have been modifying it to how I fish. It has a 90 HP Mercury and I replaced the 8 HP kicker with a Yamaha (twice, first time got stolen). The design was originally used for side drifting steelhead on the Skagit, then the Cowlitz, and finally on the Clearwater. However, the interior is very open and provides a stable platform for fly fishing lakes or rivers. While I hear and appreciate the comments on jet boats, I have found that the places I use it do I rarely see other anglers and when I do, they are almost always fishing from a boat as well. It is not a good large-lake boat as the flat bottom does not do well with chop but works great on places like Rufus Woods, where there is some current but doesn't get real bumpy with the wind. Needless to say, I really enjoy fishing out of it, much of that due to the memories of still fishing "silvers" (kokanee) as a kid and later steelhead on the Skagit.

11 Foot Sotar Pontoons and a Catchercraft Frame-The 22 inch diameter pontoons makes this a beast of a boat, very stable and anchors extremely well but at over 6 feet wide, it takes a trailer to haul it around. Still, I'm confident in taking this boat just about in any river I have a mind to row.

10.5 Foot Aire Tributary with Catchercraft 2-Person Frame-Just got this recently, we put in some Honeycomb floors to avoid walking/standing on the factory floor system by Aire. It is a great two-person boat, stable enough to fish on the move but fits in the back of a truck inflated so no trailer needed. I'll probably sell this one and upgrade to a 13 foot raft so I can two two anglers plus the rower.

10 Foot Clackacraft Coastal Drifter-Fiberglass Pram. I believe the model was discontinued for awhile but they may have brought it back. I have owned this boat the longest and have caught more fish in it that all the rest of my boats combined...mostly because of the high catch rate of allowing you to effectively anchor bow and stern and fish midges till your arms fall off. I replaced the original galvanized trailer with a custom aluminum one and now, I can't see selling this boat for any reason or price. One of my favorites and the best tool for small lake stillwater fishing.

10 Foot Catchercraft 1-Salt Steelhead-Basic 10 foot pontoon boat with stand up floor, rear deck, and has a Leelock anchor system. Pontoons are a foot shorter and a few inches smaller in diameter; other than that, functions the same as the 11 foot Sotar boat.

9 Foot Jack's Plastic Welding Mosquito with Catchercraft Freestone Frame-This is a floorless raft that allows you to fish Fred Flintstone style...works great for single hand fly or gear fishing in rivers and works well in lakes for trout when in Skeena country and the rivers blow out. My go-to boat when exploring new areas because it is light enough (40 pounds) to use by myself and fits on the back of my truck tonneau cover with four straps. Allows for easy transport and incredibly efficient fishing.

9 Foot Sotar Custom Floorless raft with a Catchercraft Freestone Frame-same as the boat mentioned above except the boat was about three times as much as Jack's boat. The material is a bit heavier and stiffer but is bomb proof and I imagine it will last a lifetime. Generally doesn't see much use unless I take a friend and we pair it up. But performance is top notch.

8'8" Catchercraft Super Cub-This is a brand new model that we recently introduced-just a tad smaller than the Freestone, we designed a back pack that has separate carrying compartments for the frame and boat and allows a very nice, compact, fairly light boat to be stored into a single bag/backpack for easy transport. I plan on doing some ferry fishing later this summer with this boat.

Alpaca Packraft-Bought this from a fellow poster (Salmo G) a few years ago because I heard so many good things about them and the fact that it is so light and compact. I bought this for a few specific places in mind; no doubt it will fill a very specific niche when I have/make the time to make those ideas a reality.

Two 6 foot X-Stream Cutthroat pack boats-I bought one and liked it so much for alpine lake fishing that when another used one came on the market, I bought it too, since they had been discontinued. I'm guessing the whole thing weighs 15 or 20 pounds. You can use fins or the built-in aluminium oars. These boats get a lot of use for hiking into lakes a mile or so from your truck; they open so many opportunities. Great design by Sos, he still makes the soft goods for Catchercraft...great guy.

In looking at my boats, I see that I have three sets of two similar-styled boats. I suppose I acquired two of the same models for when going with friends so they can use the second. However, my kids never really got into fishing like I did and most of the time I fish alone, which just means I can fish as long as I want or leave when I want and don't have to share water. Maybe my wife will get into it more as the kids vacate the house. But then I need her to shuttle my vehicle. Guess I better keep the jet boat to take her along at times when a shuttle is not needed.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome