Spey Pages - View Single Post - Rio Single Hand Spey vs new Trout Spey
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Botsari

Quote:
Originally Posted by giltakemori View Post
I realize that this might be a long shot, but has anyone had a chance to compare these two lines with a two-handed rod? I'm looking for that "one" line that can do a wide range of duties, but mostly swing soft hackles and streamers as either one can capably perform, I'm sure. I'm just looking for that nuance that would provide one an edge over the other, maybe in the rare case I would use it for indicator fishing. Any feedback you'd have specifically with these two lines on a two-handed rod would be appreciated. For reference, it would be used on my Echo SR 3106 switch rod. I should note that I already had a SA Skagit Lite line for it so I have that whole sink tip end covered.
I’m a big fan of the Rio Single Hand Spey lines, but I haven’t tried the new trout spey lines/heads as I have a number of equivalent things I had built for me over the years by Steve Godshall back when he was not just the best option (still is IMHO) but virtually the only one. The single hand spey lines are very different, and fill a different nitche. Both the skagit and scandi flavor Rio trout spey lines are short heads - they are basically scandi and skagit style heads that are both short (to use on shorter < 12’ rod) and lighter for use on very light wt rods. Until the recent surge in popularity of trout spey it was very hard to reproduce the middle of the road spey experience on light, trout weight rods because there were very few spey head like that made, and these new heads fill the (already shrunken) gap.

The Single Hand Spey lines can be best described as SH trout taper lines, like the Rio Gold trout lines for example, but with a bit of added weight added to the butt to make it a bit easier to do single handed spey casts. As such they are a lot longer (around %50), and with say a 12’ tapered leader they are closer in line-to-rod-length ratio - when using a short switch rod - to a short belly line. The SH Spey line’s forte is when want a line to do both regular overhead style casts and Spey casts - for example if you want to switch seamlessly between overhead casting dry flies (spey style casts will dunk your flies) and swinging light soft hackles. But Rio makes a beautiful multi-density version of these that is just perfect in a lot of swinging situations. You could also do all of that on a short 2-hander rather than a SH rod, and when I do this I’m generally treating the line like a shorter short-belly style line and do mostly snake roll and single spey casts.

So apples and oranges. The trout spey lines are just regular spey lines/heads for shorter, lighter weight rods, and IMO there is a lot more in common between even the skagit and scandi flavored trout spey lines than either of those has with the SH Spey lines. The trout speys, it goes without saying, are easier to do spey casts with - but even a scandi head will be a bit clunky in comparison with the SH Spey lines. Hope this helps a little for getting oriented.

ďGravity is a harsh mistress!Ē, The Tick

Last edited by Botsari; 01-18-2019 at 08:52 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome