Spey Pages - View Single Post - Sage One 3110 vs IMX Pro vs Echo TR2/New Trout Spey vs ???
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 AM
Heli911

I'm in the same situation as you on the South Fork of the Snake in Idaho. I use 4-6 wt switch rods. My setup and fly selection is a little different. But i'm like you in the fly area. Most of my flies are no more than 2"-2.5" long, sparse, and unweighted or slightly weighted with a bead. Don't get hung up on the weight of the rod. There isn't a good formula to figure out what you need. The right size rod is the one to handle the river conditions. In the late fall to early spring my DH 11'9" 4wt will handle the current and wind. In the Late spring, summer, and fall, my 5 wt 11' switch is my go to stick. If i'm really fighting wind or I know i'll be catching 16" + fish all day with heavier leech or streamer patters, than my 6wt 11' switch with a rage head and a weighted poly leader is what I throw. The other 2 set ups I either use a floating poly leader, or a furled spey leader from Moonlit fly fishing. I recently picked up a RIO trout spey line for my 4wt. It's got some punch. If I had to pick one rod, it would be the 5wt. I fish that more than the other 2. I'd line it with a RIO trout spey line. I hope this helps.

Swinging fly's on the Snake River.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome