Spey Pages - View Single Post - Sage One 3110 vs IMX Pro vs Echo TR2/New Trout Spey vs ???
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Blix
Blix

It's not the TR2 12'6" 6 weight...but I have the Echo TR2 11'3" 4weight for sea-run brown trout in the spring and fall. It's a very powerful rod for a 4 weight and really lets you crank on it if you wish. No problem getting good distance with bigger flies, and it easily handles the MOW and FLO tips I put on it. Deep bend in the rod so lots of fun for all fish. Not a switch/nymphing rod at all. I have a 330 Scout on it for sustained anchor casting that matches nicely for me, and the rod firmly sits in that next step up from your friend's 250-270 grain rod you're casting now. The TR2 12'6" 6 weight is rated 400+ grains, so you're more or less heading towards a medium river steelhead/salmon rod at that point. Don't know if it helps what you're doing or not, but I look at my TR2 4 weight as a nice, smaller two-hander for casting tips and streamers at sea-run brown trout in windy and cold coastal conditions. For non-sea run trout, I scale down considerably and that rod stays at home.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome