Spey Pages banner

Looking for some user recom on echo 3

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Mango man 
#1 ·
Hello there,
I am an amateur spey caster.

I came across a Echo instructor 7130i 13feet white color rod.

Or if someone has a Winston 7wt.. I am in Vancouver BC.

Price offered is $400 CAD. Brand New.

Please let me know if that would be a good Rod for beginning spey Casting and practice.

All inputs much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dirty Harry

#3 ·
I got this white instructor rod but I feel it is very soft. Doesn't turn over my intruder fly that good in a Rio 525 grain. Can you please suggest what could be wrong?

Gear: 7wt 13'.

Rio:525 floating head, 10 ft thin poly tip + 5ft of Tippett and a 3.5 inch fly.

Thanks

#6 ·
I got this white instructor rod but I feel it is very soft. Doesn't turn over my intruder fly that good in a Rio 525 grain. Can you please suggest what could be wrong?

Gear: 7wt 13'.

Rio:525 floating head, 10 ft thin poly tip + 5ft of Tippett and a 3.5 inch fly.

Thanks
Should be easier with a sink tip than with a poly/versi-leader, due to mass of the tip. Could stand to use a lighter head also. 450grains compacted into a skagit head will turn over a large fly.

#9 ·
intruders

Well, depending on the size of your intruder flies (they can get quite large & heavy) I would start at the fly & work back. Nothing less than 12 lb mono tippet, looped to 20/25 lb butt section, total length about 4 ft, give or take. Quit farting around with those wimpy poly leaders! It takes mass to cast mass. Go with heavy (T-14) MOW tips. If the tip end of the Rio (assuming Skagit) head is less than .080 Ø, cut it back to where it is. Personally, I prefer the Airflo 540gr Skagit head. It can handle T-14 tips right out of the box.

That takes care of your set up. the rest is up to you. Intruders are not exactly the beginners forte. But since you asked, bone up on sustained anchor Skagit style casting. Limit your casts to double speys & perry pokes. Do not attempt a snap T or any of the touch & go type casts with a big heavy intruder fly!

A lot of people wrongly associate a deep loading rod as being a soft or slow, or noodle rod. Not necessarily so. They are purposely designed to load further down into the stronger section of the blank. That rod will work fine for what you are trying to do. Just slow down your stroke, be patient & let the rod do the work.

#14 ·
Well, depending on the size of your intruder flies (they can get quite large & heavy) I would start at the fly & work back. Nothing less than 12 lb mono tippet, looped to 20/25 lb butt section, total length about 4 ft, give or take. Quit farting around with those wimpy poly leaders! It takes mass to cast mass. Go with heavy (T-14) MOW tips. If the tip end of the Rio (assuming Skagit) head is less than .080 Ø, cut it back to where it is. Personally, I prefer the Airflo 540gr Skagit head. It can handle T-14 tips right out of the box.

That takes care of your set up. the rest is up to you. Intruders are not exactly the beginners forte. But since you asked, bone up on sustained anchor Skagit style casting. Limit your casts to double speys & perry pokes. Do not attempt a snap T or any of the touch & go type casts with a big heavy intruder fly!

A lot of people wrongly associate a deep loading rod as being a soft or slow, or noodle rod. Not necessarily so. They are purposely designed to load further down into the stronger section of the blank. That rod will work fine for what you are trying to do. Just slow down your stroke, be patient & let the rod do the work.
I went back to practice, used a t8 of 8 feet length. Was able to cast 50 ft with a slow and focussed cast. The fly was medium n size.

Like one of the other member described it is the extension of the head itself. Was happy with it.

Will keep playing around with different grain weights. Between 480 - 510 - 525 grains.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
It isn't the weight of the fly which causes collisions during a snap-t cast. Once you initiate the lift you must maintain tension clear through to the snap. This way the fly travels above rod tip and is perfectly clear of the rod path.

The slightest hesitation during the lift and the line will bow under gravity pulling the fly into the same low trajectory that the rod tip will be on during the snap movement. THAT you don't want to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.