Spey Pages banner

Gaspé Atlantic Salmon Trip Report

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Bhcarmichael 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just got back from my annual trip to the Gaspé and wanted to share a report and photos. We fished for two weeks on the Matapedia, Grand Cascapedia, and Bonaventure.

In short, conditions were very low and hot. Day-time temps were often in the 80s, with them creeping into the 90s on some days. Water temp in Mirin on the Bonnie was 70 one mid-morning. It rose to 72 on the Salmon Branch of the GC one day (we stopped fishing), and was otherwise often in the low to mid 60s, with some morning temps being in the 50s. Flows were also low, with the Cascapedia between 10-12 -- a level I had not seen before.

On the slip side, with low levels and clarity we saw lots of fish. Rose a ton, hooked a few, and landed even fewer, but had a great time.

On the striper front, I caught a striper at the covered bridge at Routhierville. Not good.

Here's some photos, and a full trip report on my site.
Gaspé Peninsula Atlantic Salmon Fly Fishing - New England On The FlyNew England On The Fly

Of course, as soon as we were packing up our bags the forecast started calling for lots of rain. Looks like the river flows are up. Hope some of are you are up there now or about to head up there!

Best,
Ben

See less See more
#2 ·
Ben,
Great story and pictures of your 2018 trip to the Gaspé. My friend Bob Richard and I were there during the last week of June and fished the Petite Cascapedia and the Bonaventure. We had decent water flow and temperatures. The fishing was decent as well, but it seemed as though we were a few weeks too early. The salmon finally started to come in during the last days of June.

Hope to see you on the river again.

Doug

#5 ·
Ben Hello and thanks for the great photos. The pic of you, I assume, looking up river on the Routhierville Bridge is a familiar one. The first house to the left is Harry Huff's and I and two prtners, have recently purchased Le Chappel two doors up. Next year LeChapple will be a self catering, No Kill, camp that can sleep four. we will be charging about $125.00 per person with WiFi and maid service. please pm for more details.

Please stop in this fall for an adult beverage or cup of joe.

Cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.