Spey Pages banner

Jim Green

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  toothybugs 
#1 ·
I never met Jim Green and only know him through articles and posts. A while ago, I came across this video, put it on my 'watch later' list and promptly forgot about it. I know Mr. Green as an important figure; not only in the single handed world, but also in the introduction of the two handed rod in the PNW. For those of you; like me, who have never met Mr. Green, let me introduce you to an important figure in the world of fly fishing.

#4 ·
Very cool guy, a gentleman in every sense of the word... and passionate about rod design/tapers. He invited me up there after a phone conversation in the early 80's. maybe 1981 (before he left Fenwick for Sage). I wanted to cast and fish longer rods than were available then. He got interested in the idea, made then sent me two graphite blanks... a 10.5' 7/8 and a 12' 9/10 -- no charge! I built the rods and fished them happily (gratefully) and all he requested in return was a report on how they performed. Of course, this was well before two handed casting was shown to be a better way to fish long rods (which he was responsible for, as well).
Sadly, I broke the 12'er ten yrs later, but I still have the shorter one that sees occasional use on trout lakes.
Thanks for sharing the video, 9140gr.

#6 ·
I met him once through our local fly-fishing club in Eastern Washington. He held a casting clinic. After working with me a bit, he took my 8 ft Orvis 6 weight and cast the entire fly line. I was much younger then, perhaps in college, and was in awe. I still have that rod, although it mostly sits in the closet.

Mark

#8 ·
Years ago, when I was looking for a deal on a 4wt rod, a Sage RP 903-4 crossed the radar. Not an RPL but an RP, those rods were designed by Jim Green and they were absolute cannons! Maybe too fast for the average caster, & the reason they created the RPL's? I don't think anyone but Jimmy Green could cast a WF3 line on that rod. But it throws 6wt shooting heads a country mile, from a float tube even.

Thanks for posting that video

#11 ·
I've been looking for a few RPs. They're kinda hard to find but they do come up. (I'm on kind of a vintage/ near-vintage Sage kick lately...)

I put this in my Must Watch list for when I get home this evening. Looks excellent from what the other guys have said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.