Spey Pages banner

Video request: left handed single spey

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Botsari 
#1 ·
There is shortage of demonstration of left handed single spey on youtube.
Either clips are very short, or caster is too far and his hand work is not visible

Can someone with good technique record this?

for me it's real pain to learn left handed spey cast

#2 · (Edited)
Hum, perhaps viewing a right handed SS video with the aid of a mirror. I’m not joking! Sounds funny but should work perfectly. That way you can use the best examples you can find, regardless of their handedness. I get that for a lot of people this feels like a big step, but I honestly dont really understand why it is hard to absorb the basic details from a right hand cast. Still, the mirror will actually work perfectly if you don’t find more left-hand videos.

If you already can do a right handed SS you can also try alternating back forth doing SS left and right handed. You may need to look for a good location to try this, such as a lake, but it is a good way to quickly map the motions from right to left hand side. You have to pay close attention, but your inherent sense of symmetry should help you make it work.

Spey casting is rather hard to film really well, being a combination of close in and far out details, and it isn’t done that well a lot of times. So I agree with you it can sometimes be difficult, whatever the hand, to find good videos that help.

Good luck.

#7 ·
If you think that the tailing loop you see might actually be caused by the camera lens abberation I would suggest that that may be some grounds for asserting an excessive focus on the issue. Either way if you ever need freeze-frame and scientific instruments to detect the curvature I’m going to go out on a limb to call that “negligible”. :)

#8 ·
Here is a good example of underhand technique left handed. Go to 1:32 and watch this. If you like it you could take it to Tubechop and make a short clip of it and loop it and watch it in slow motion. etc. Also, the music is good.

Reactions: foreach71
#10 ·
The orange line there helps a lot. A friend/mentor teaches spey casting with a white rod, and that also helps a bit, especially in videos where you don’t have the 3rd dimension to distinguish things. Turns out that rod is the same exact white rod Simon Gawesworth used in his Modern Spey Casting videos - he bought the rod from Simon apparently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.