Spey Pages - View Single Post - Blue Butt Black Mahogan
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Marty
Grandpa Howard

Blue Butt Black Mahogan

I just got back from a very successful trip up north (way north for me). The B.B. Dee I posted prior to the trip was my go to fly at the start of the trip and produced a number of good fish but after hooking a few fish on the same fly it was time to change. You might be thinking if something is working why change, I guess itís because I enjoy giving the new patterns in my box a swim to see if they will produce. This blue spey fly was a last minute attempt to fill the last five spots in my wheatley (I fill a wheatley with new flies every year in anticipation on the new returns). My wife gave me the inspiration for the colors, she really likes the look of king fisher blue. The fly has not been named yet but in reality itís just a blue butt black Mahogan. The fly produced a fish in its first 10 swings and with each fish that followed I gained more confidence in the fly. The blue butt black ended up being my top fly for the trip. This pattern has found a permanent spot in the wheatley.

Blue Butt Black
Hook: Alec Jackson
Thread: 6/0 black
Body: ľ silver doctor blue ĺ black seal or sub
Rib: large pearl Mylar followed by med. silver oval
Body hackle: King fisher blue schlappen hackle
Collar: black schlappen followed by a few turns of blue guinea
Wing: 4 black hackle tips

Step 1, secure the oval tinsel on the back side on the hook shank, then secure the flat Mylar on top of the oval. The body hackle is secured on top of the hook butt first. I strip the right side of the feather.

Step 2, I spin dub both the blue and black dubbing at the same time, then take it to the eye of the fly leaving room for the collar.

Step 3, make one turn of the Mylar behind the body on the bare shank then make 5 turns and secure at the eye. The oval follows the Mylar.

The body hackle follows the oval. To make the fly more durable you could counter wrap the body with a fine wire or mono. I did not counter wrap my squad of blue butts and did have one come apart after being dined on. The fly was retired to a special spot on the brim of my hat.

The collar starts with a black schlappen hackle followed by a few turns of guinea.

For the wing tie in four black hackle tips. If you look close you can see that I have taken the stems through the eye of the fly prior to securing. I wasnít much on hackle tipped wings until I watched Dec demonstrate his wing securing technique for his Mahoney while we were filming our tying DVD. Now hackle winged flies make up 50 % of my box. I love the way they look in the water, they move and have the perfect profile.

I will be heading up to one of the Snake River tribs here shortly so I am off to work on an orange and black version in two sizes smaller. Thanks for looking.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome