Spey Pages banner

Riverstick Custom-machined Wading Staffs

73K views 305 replies 112 participants last post by  Nooksack Mac 
#1 · (Edited)
FS: Riverstick Custom-machined Wading Staffs

Common complaints with most folding wading staffs are that they get stuck, vibrate in the current, or wear out…Not this one…Customers often say that my Riverstick has proven to be the worlds’ strongest and most practical folding wading staff on the market.
The heart of the staff is the extremely durable, heavy-guage 6061 marine-grade aluminum tubing and machined inserts. A unique practical feature of the staff is that all other components: the grip, and bungee cord are easily found in most hardware stores, The tips are rubber tire valve stems..Yes, tire valve stems... They are very durable, don't get stuck between boulders, are found in any automotive store and. in fact, I could not have designed a better rubber tip. This allows the staff to be totally self-maintainable, and virtually able to withstand a lifetime of use. The hammer loop holster has proven to be the perfect holster, allowing the staff to be easily deployed, or replaced, with one hand.
The staff comes with a nylon wrist strap and stainless ring just below the grip for clipping onto a retractor to let it hang extended. At 1 lb 10 ozs, it is solid, and built to last.

I build each staff to your preferred length, or can recommend a length to suit your height.
Rule of thumb for height/length: 5’5” - 5’7” = 51”, 5'8" - 5'10" = 52", 5'11" - 6' 2" = 53", 6'3" - 6'5"= 54-56". A good measure is to top of waders with boots on.

Price is $110 + $20 (shipping in NA) = $130 usd total.

Please pm for further information.

Automotive parking light Bicycle part Office supplies Vehicle Bumper
Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Gas Road surface Electric blue

Attachments

See less See more
#34 · (Edited)
Got my "Hammer of Herkileez" wading staff. Show some unboxing below. Only done very limited field
trial so far but just packed it for an extended bit of scrutineering in AK.

1. It's heavy in a good way. It SINKS. For overhead casting I don't mind the floating stick, but with spey casting I like
it out of the way for peace of mind. And seeing the thickness of the aluminum tubes (added a pic on
that) I cannot imagine any amount of water will make it get the shimmy-shake that my Simms staff
does in a good current.

2. Holster: the Simms has an enclosed cover you slip the stick into and it keeps the pieces together
and prevents a bit of snagging. I wondered about the hammer holder. From my limited field trial
my concern has reduced. The bushwhacking in an out of the Deschutes is gonna snag anything, but
this stick is so brutish and it's more likely to be used to lever my arse over the lip anyway. I'll add the
point of the holster is to hold, and make easy to pull out. The Simms neoprene cover was ok in that
regard, the simple hammer Herkileez uses is just effortless.

3. Assembly: Some staffs claim to "automatically" come together and I've been dubious. This one makes
no such claim, but in reality I can drop the pieces, wiggle a bit one handed and it comes together...at least
while it's clean. But the tolerances are such I'd wager even with a fair degree of grit in the works it'll still
work.

4. Stuck piece risk: Related, I've had to retire my Simms pro-level staff because it gets stuck so fast
when dirty I cannot get the thing to break down without a hammer (or currently, not at all). Those little
pins you depress that are supposed to pop up inside a small hole to set things in place--aggravating beyond
measure when they get stuck--had to leave my last staff at the Deschutes Motel for this reason! I'm optimistic
this design isn't as fussy and will tolerate a fair amount of grit without that issue (I tested by rubbing a bit of
river mud on the joints, did fine, thus far).

5. The tip: I've previously used metal tips, whether treking pole/simms. Will take some time to find out how
this works amidst the stones and crevices. Herkileez sends you a spare plastic cap for abrasion. I attempted
to pull mine off to see if it'd be easy to lose amidst the stones....couldn't budge it with bare hands.

Only downside: Besides the tip (which I'll just have to see) there's the weight. When extended will be a positive.
When not, and it's on the belt on a long walk, might be a minor negative. Required that I tighten my belt a bit
as it was heavy enough to pull at a bit. I'm good with these tradeoffs, but word to the wise.

More after some mileage, but the first look is positive.

Attachments

#43 ·
Rick, wading staff received and thank you. First impressions, quality workmanship, well thought out design, sturdy materials. Heavy enough to cut through the toughest of flows getting down to business. I will feel confident to safely wade most waters I fish.
Joe

#54 ·
I know this has been asked but have you figured out anything for a pointed type tip??
and can you make a 59 or 60 inch staff?
Bill
Thus far, I've been keeping the staffs simple and self-maintainable, with off-the-shelf components, such as the rubber chair leg tip. If I can find a replaceable hard tip that would fit with the design, I could possibly offer it in the future.
Yes, I can do any length. So far, I have done them from 49" - 55", with 53" being most popular.