Spey Pages banner

Spey O Rama 2008 casting video clips

22K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Begbie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Spey O Rama 2008 video clips

All,

Sorry for taking so long to this done. Spending too much time on finding a good video editing software. So, here I have the competitors who agree to release their video clips for public viewing purpose. There are a range of casting styles and skills in these clips. Hopefully, you can learn something from them. And also for who are interested in competing in the future SOR, these clips would hopefully give you a better idea what is could be happening out there at Golden Gate casting pond. If there is something not upto your standard, remember they were casting in the toughest 15' course.

The following is download processure and the release schedule of video clips:

DOWNLOAD PROCESSURE:

- For clarity purpose for your viewing, these clips are as large as 88Mb bytes. So, to avoid the server traffic, please DO NOT view video clips direct on the website. Please download it (them) to your computer by ONE right click on "VIDEO" and select "save target as", then you can save it (them) to where you like on your computer.
- Quicktime player required. The clips are formated in MP4 format. So we will need Quicktime player install on your computer. If you don't, you can download from APPLE.com and DOWNLOAD.com for free I think.

RELEASE SCHEDULE: due to huge file, I will release one clip a week.

Man Division:
6/7 - 6/14 Doug Duncan, USA
6/14 - 6/21 Brian Styskal, USA
6/21 - 6/28 Stener Skogmo, Norway
6/28 - 7/5 Tyler Kushnir, Canada
7/5 - 7/12 Simon Hsieh, USA

Woman Division:
7/12 - 7/19 Olga Koran, USA
7/19 - 7/26 Whitney Gould, USA

Please download at triple w dot nextcastflyfishing.com

For whom was competitor of SOR 2008, and wants to release your casting clip to promote this community. Please send me an email of your release agreement at nc-info@nextcastflyfishing.com. I will get yours on the release list.

Thanks for your patient.

Simon Hsieh
NEXTCAST flyfishing

See less See more
#3 ·
Quicktime?

Sorry I have not idea where went wrong. It works on serval PCs and an Apple computer. I thought it should work. Is anyone on broad can help on this one?

Maybe you can try to download itune + Quicktime one more time to see if it would solve the problem.

Simon Hsieh
NEXTCAST flyfishing

#4 ·
Thanks and questions

Thanks. I had no problems viewing it in Quicktime.

I have questions:
1. The distance called it- is it from a line the caster has to stand behind?
2. What is the general weight of the long belly lines used? Are they exceeding 800 grains, 80' head (Rio GrandSpey).
3. Are these distance casting lines available commercially?
4. Are most running line like Slickshooter to maximize distance?

#5 · (Edited)
1. The distances are from the line where the caster is standing

2. Grain weights varied the one I cast (and a number of others) was approx. 1000 gr, I think the range was from about 900-1200 gr.

3. It varied between casters - some of the lines are commercially available, some like the CND's were slightly modified (but anyone could do it) and others were essentially custom lines.

4. Again, running lines varied according to casters choice - there were no "standards".

#7 ·
Fly and depth

Are the contestants standing in 3 feet of water?

Also, what type of fly was given? What comes closest to it one can purchase/ self tie?

It appears to be gusty- did all contestant encounter this tough condition? Were the numbers greatly different than a windless condition?

#8 ·
Here are the rules for SOR http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=26708

Yes, the water was about 3' deep - which is pretty damn challenging! I am 6'2" and making 40 degree angle changes and then "going for the fence" was tough for me... and if you were shorter (and most were - often considerably) this becomes a serious disadvantage - I take my hat off to those competitors and their impressive results!

As for the swirling winds.... :Eyecrazy: - this is another of the challenges of Spey-O-Rama. With Golden Gate Park's proximity to the Pacific Ocean, the wind is omnipresent and the constant swirl in the ponds are a fact of life. On qualifying day the winds were particularly nasty - at times gusting to 30 MPH. Interestingly most of the top competitors cast better in these conditions than they did in the less nasty ones of the Finals. Dealing with the wind involved some thought as well as a dose of luck. You only have 6 minutes to complete your casts so you don't have time to wait around - but "timing" your cast helped (unless a rogue gust screwed you anyway). The element of accuracy involved in the competition also brought the wind into play - landing Out-of-Bounds - really sucked! If you didn't land a counting cast it was pretty much the end of your chances - this happened to Simon Gawesworth, MIke McCune and myself a couple of years ago.... it was dissappointing as we Members of the OB Club sat off by ourselves watching the finals :( .

The "fly"as set out by the rules was supplied by the GGACC and was a fairly bulky water-resistant piece of yarn.

#12 ·
ARE,

If the file is about 80 something mega bytes, you can delete the ".txt" at the end of file name and leave it as you indicated. Then, it should be ready to be played with quicktime.
if the file is only a few bytes, then, you have to down load one more time.

Simon Hsieh

#13 ·
More on the swirling winds... if you note on some of Brian's later casts, the wind is blowing from over his right shoulder quartering to the left - yet you can see the smoke from the BBQ further down the course blowing back toward him...

#14 ·
Smoke from BBQ?

What- the smoke was from the BBQ?

I thought it was the afterburners from the 150 foot cast (first cast). Or the competition decended down the path of Ms. Puerto Rico (her evening down was doused with pepper spray) practical jokes like leaning the rod against the BBQ started to showup, and the smoke was fly lines melting like cheese on burgers.

Did they BBQ using Mike Kinney's famous BBQ sauce? Poppy is carrying them now.

#16 ·
got the videos going, finally

had to change a quicktime setting....anyway...awesome videos and awesome casts.....it seems many of the casters use the spiral single rather than the standard single spey for the distance casts. Is there a reason for this? Is it perhaps because it's a more 'dynamic' cast or does it somehow help with the precise timing needed to power it out there? just curious....thanks...

#17 ·
Quicktime settings

Newbieflyfisher,

Do you mind to share the board how to adjust the setting on Quicktime to view videos? These may benefit to whom have Quicktime problem.

It is a snake roll not spiral single. 100% competitors of SOR 2008 used single spey for their left side on right shoulder and right side on left shoulder. Snake roll for right side on right shoulder and left side on left shoulder.

I have not seen anyone using spiral single at SOR yet. Maybe Single spey is simpler and easier control on the D.

Simon Hsieh
NEXTCAST flyfishing

#19 ·
Newbieflyfisher,

Do you mind to share the board how to adjust the setting on Quicktime to view videos? These may benefit to whom have Quicktime problem.
go to edit>>preferences>>quicktime preferences>>Advanced>>under Video setting, check the box 'Safe Mode (GDI only)

Therefore make sure the other boxes under Video are unchecked.

took me several google searches to figure it out...but now it finally works...hopefully this may help others too.

#18 ·
Simon, I used a spiral single on two of my three left shoulder "singles" (of course they were cack-handed as well :hihi:)

I found that with that particular cast (off the left shoulder) that the spiral gave me a better jump on turning the anchor/v-loop into the 180 degree position (with the 40 degree angle change) before the cast. I did not find the same issue off my right shoulder so I stuck with the straight single spey.

I think that in general you are right, the single is probably simpler and has a more positive feel than the spiral. I know that it always surprises me a little as the anchor come around off the spiral and somewhat miraculously lands in the perfect position, yet during the single spey I seem to "feel" the line better throughout the cast. However, at least for now, my left shoulder "singles" are more consistent if I start them with the spiral.

#20 ·
SOR 2008 Tyler Kush video clip

Sorry for the delay.

My web server traffic has over loaded in the past month. I hope that is not the case causing the problem posing Tyler Kush's clip. I have tried that the max upload is only 6 Mb on one signle file which means that I could not complete the posting Tyler's famuous spiral signle (cack-handed). Will try tonight or tomorrow.

Simon

#22 ·
Attack,

Are you talking about all videos or just Kush's video?

If Kush's video, the video was loaded incompletely. So it won't play right. I am trying to fix it.

If all videos, check the setting under top menu:

edit->reference->quicktime reference-> file type->MPEG (check MPEG 4).

I don't know why some can play and some can't.

Simon

#24 ·
Gary,

Tyler's video is fine on my computer, but I have problem posting it to the web server. Every time I tried. It only uploaded to about 6MB (the whole clip is about 42MB), and then the upload starts 0 byte again. It keeps doing the circle. So I can't upload the full clip to the sever.

Maybe someone knows what costs the problem.

Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.