Spey Pages banner

The 7th Sandy River Spey Clave

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  sixriversfly 
#1 ·
The 7th Sandy River Spey Clave is in the books. Record crowds, no rain, plenty of wares to cast and food top the biggest and best clave yet. NSSC served around 220 breakfasts on Saturday and around 50 on Sunday. Stonefly Maidens served around 350 dogs on Saturday. 40 to 50 people showed up for the potluck on Friday night for pork tenderloins and what aray of sidedishes and desserts. FREINDLY people everywhere. The only thing missing (Thank God) from this year's Woodstock of Spey Casting was the rain, mud and wild behaviour--I went to sleep to early and missed the wild event in the campground!

Se ya' next year.

Klem,...................................::::::::::::::::::> <0)))))))><

#2 ·
Sandy River Spey Clave

We just arrived back in Yakima from the event of the year. Thank's to all the food was great. They would not take my donation.
The teachers were wonderful Trying out the rods and lines was a real blast. Thank's for all the help with my casts. I will be back next year.:)

#4 ·
Hands down thanks again

Yes I just have to put out a HUGE THANKS also to the organizers, vendors, speakers who helped pull this event together one way or another again this year, their generosity was very well received.

This was my 2nd Sandy Spey, and my 7 1/2 year old daughter (whose pink shoes was left in a conspicious place near the foot bridge) came down with me to get her first informal two handed casting lesson from Olga. It was a precious moment to see her first set of casts!

Thanks again!!

#5 ·
Good Show

What can I say? Every year when I come home thinking it just doesn't get any better than this, it does. And this year was no exception. A hearty thanks to Mark, Patti & crew, the NSSC, (I may have to join that group) the Stonefly Maidens, the vendors, the Jedi's, the park crew who bent the rules a bit for us & anyone else I may have missed. A big thank you to one and all.

#6 ·
it's been 7 years since the first one??? i was guessing like 4 or 5... Even though they keep getting better each year i think the first one was the most fun..

big thanks to the North Santiam flycasters ans the stonefly maidens for their efforts ...

#7 ·
The 7th (My First) Sandy River Spey Clave

As a new participant to spey claves and a larval-stage two-handed rod user, I was impressed by the depth of talent and passion at the clave. Probably why the first one always seems to be the best.

I only attended the first day, knowing that if I stayed the second, I would have bought something fun and expensive. Next year...

I realized (now it's obvious) that effective two-handed casting, like a golf swing, can be taught and learned in numerous ways. I practiced as many as I could with a dozen different rods.

However, the most effective demonstrations for me were by Henrik, Al, and Dec:

Henrik - The cast gets the fly to the fish. That's all.

Al - Get the fly coming into the fish to ensure a solid take.

Dec - Get it out there and then start fishing.

I appreciated the casting demos. But I mostly need to learn to fish. Where...when...what...

As a newcomer, I would like to see the whole range of our addiction presented. There were only 15 or so given the microphone to speak, but there were 100+ experts on-shore that could share 20 minutes of their time to knots, flies, reading water, anadromous life-cycles, switch vs. two-handed, and one-handed spey. I'll even volunteer to talk about fluvial geomorphology, stream temperature, and groundwater seepage, and how they affect holding waters.

I went away with D-loops and tight loops whizzing in my mind. I'll return next year, with more passion and knowledge, and a checkbook. To those of you organizing the clave...thank you! Keep it up! Let us know how we can help you make each year as good as, or better, than the last.

#8 ·
Best Ever

Well, it was a great week. Camped out for a week prior to the Clave and had the whole campground to myself for three days. Lots of deer and other wildlife.

Saw lots of friends and the evenings around camp were great.

The Clave was best ever. Really liked the broad range of presenters and most oriented around fishing after the cast. Great!

Thanks to all those who made the evenings around the campfire a fun time.

A huge thanks to Mark and Patti for all the hard work it takes to put this event on for all of us. Patti especially for all the behind the scene work prior to the event and during the event that it takes to keep the show going.

Thanks to all the volunteers and the reps for bringing all the great gear for us to try.

Looking forward to next year.

RPhelps:)

#9 ·
spey clave suggestion

The Spey Clave was an awesome event. Alot of hard work went into this and everyone loved it. No wind, good weather, lovely spey caster ladies, nice folks.........way cool

If there was anything wrong with event it was that there was very limited room on the river to try out new gear, or dail in a line.

With all due respect most of the space was being used by people learning how to cast. Lots of instructors barking orders....Alot of inconsiderate people flogging in one spot for hours.

Due to the large amount of casters, maybe it would be best to limit the use of the river area to testing out new gear or dailing in a line for your rod? That's the main point of the event isn't it?

What do you think...?

#12 ·
The Spey Clave was an awesome event. Alot of hard work went into this and everyone loved it. No wind, good weather, lovely spey caster ladies, nice folks.........way cool

If there was anything wrong with event it was that there was very limited room on the river to try out new gear, or dail in a line.

With all due respect most of the space was being used by people learning how to cast. Lots of instructors barking orders....Alot of inconsiderate people flogging in one spot for hours.

Due to the large amount of casters, maybe it would be best to limit the use of the river area to testing out new gear or dailing in a line for your rod? That's the main point of the event isn't it?

What do you think...?
Like it or not, newbies learning to cast are as much a part of the Sandy Clave as us old guys wanting to try a new rod or line.

I am still grateful for the help I got years ago from some of the PNW legends who showed up at the Sandy Clave. Yeah there was more room on the beach in the old days. There were also less speakers, no sound system, and you brought your own lunch, and dinner.

Rather than ***** about it, why not go over and offer some of those struggling newbies some help. By speeding up their learning curve, they will be satisfied and leave you their spot. They may even thank you. :Eyecrazy:

#10 ·
What do you think...?
Six, I am a little surprised that you think that one group of river users should take precedence over another group of river users. There is a great deal of unused river bank there although it requires a short walk to use it.

As I said in the other thread where you posted on this subject, the Sandy river is public water and while common courtesy is something we should all be practicing I don't think there is any way to make someone there ahead of you move so you can do your thing.

#11 ·
Already Looking Forward To Next Year

I think, and I saw it reflected in Mark's thoughtful description of the event, that the opportunity of the weekend is to participate in the fellowship of the angle. Folks come from far and wide to spend a few days in the company of others who share a passion for the outdoors, the rivers, and two handed rods. I spent more than 12 hours each day talking to folks about fishing, casting, and the quality of life we share participating in a sport we all love.

Every day I send lines all over the world from the shop for people to dial in on their home waters. I know of other great shops who do the same. That job is much easier to perfect in the privacy of your home water and by fishing a few of your favourite runs with the setup. To use the time at the Sandy Clave for that purpose is not what I have in mind when I turn the bike South.

Oxbow is a great facility. It has lots of room on grass and water to get folks started on their Speycasting journeys. I am fortunate to live in a place where I have lots of access to good practice water and great mentors to help me on my way. At an event like the Sandy I limit my time to make sure those less fortunate have maximum opportunity to get the help they need to fire their passion. This also gives me more time to visit with my Spey fellowes

3 Cheers to Mark and The Fly Fishing Shop for another fantastic event!

#13 ·
I moved my post from the other thread, since it seems VERY pertinent to this discussion:

IMO, this is a BIG part of what the Sandy clave (and other claves) are all about, teaching and sharing:

I feel this is important, even though my personal goal at this year's Sandy clave was to test lines for my new rod. Though many great shops will send me lines to try, and can try more in a short period, with consistent casting and location, at the clave.

Keith, if you are out there, send me a note so I can send a few pictures for you and Caroline.

#14 ·
Spey Clave

Some very altruistic viewpoints, but let us be realistic, logical and stay on point. River etiquette should not only apply to fishing situations. The bank was lined with people this year. Which is a good thing....However, some of these people were very inconsiderate. They just budged in without asking. Very unfriendly indeed. These were mostly the people that were learning. They block off people who want to try out new equipment.

I saw alot of guys that were whipping it around very carelessly.....a kid got hit in the face because new casters don't watch what they are doing....a guy trying out a new rod took a snapping leader in the ear from another guy learning to cast. IT IS NOT SAFE TO LEARN IN THESE CONDITIONS. Maybe you can stand your kid behind some of these guys?

The point of the show is to try out new equipment and hear the guest speakers, not to stand in one spot for hours learning to cast. There is nothing wrong with learning or getting jazzed about double handed casting. But that is not the point here. There is a time and place to learn. As mentioned, the river is public (which is also not the point). But in any event, a caster who wishes to learn or an instructor who wishes to instruct, can go anywhere else on the river and do so.

For safety and etiquette sake, I propose two areas on the bank. A learning area and an equipment demo area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.