Spey Pages banner

4 or 5 wt trout switch?

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  montanafos 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I could use some input deciding on my next rod building project.
First let me tell you a bit of what I'm looking for. As far as goals;
I would like to build a switch rod 11' max, for trout 15"-20", whose first job would be to throw medium sized streamers, small sculpin heads, with as least poly tips or maybe even a light T or zinc material.
Secondary would be nymphing, indicator or not, and swinging wets.

I'd like to go with a 4 weight but I don't know if it would turn over the heavier stuff. Would I be better off with a 5? currently I'm looking at The ARE 1M-6 3/4 & 5/6 blanks and the ye old english Fly shop I-M8 4/5 & IM-12 3/4.

In my area, Eastern PA there is limited big water so these rods would be used to fish what is available, Upper Delaware & Lehigh rivers and a few others.

Another question would be lines. What could punch out a 50' cast and give me the line control I need to swing and strip those streamers. I've been looking at the commando heads but don't like most running lines I've used previously because they don't mend well.

Any input would be much appreciated

Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
I just finished building the ARE 12' 5/6 for trout. I built it for the same reasons u are looking to build a rod for. I have fished it a couple time and am using a rio switch chucker line on it and it has cast any fly I have put on the end and I am using t8 tips. I think u would be pleased with the rod. Has a nice slow action lots of power.

Good luck on the decision

#3 ·
I always lean towards the light side, preferring to feel the fight over being able to cast heavy junk so I'd build on a lighter blank. That's just me, though. That being said, my ARE 11 ft 3/4 throws some heavy stuff and has handled some pretty strong fish in that 15 to 20+ inch range. My rod is the UHM, though, and although it's a nice nymphing stick if I was to do it over again I would build on the IM6 or on the new 9 ft 10 inch 4 wt. I've heard really good things about that little sage green colored 4 weight and I know Steve G has been building some rods with that blank.

#4 ·
I recently switched to a 4wt Redington after using a TFO DC 5/6 for quite a while. I was concerned about how it would throw bigger flies and tips. With the Rio Skagit Trout Max head it sends tips and weighted flies insanely well. Easy turnover and similar distances as I was getting with the TFO.

I don't see myself using that bigger 5/6 to fish for trout much anymore. Not that it's a bad rod for that but the 4wt feels much more appropriate.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't have a lot of experience with the trout Speys but did have a Meiser built this past summer. I went back and forth on the 4 vs. 5 and settled on the 4. Glad I did. It's still fun with a 10" fish but has enough backbone to quickly land an 8# steelhead. Granted I was mostly fishing medium size flies on a full floater but the little bit I played around with the Skagit SGS line it came with leads me to believe it would handle decent sized road kill if that was your game. Just my $.02

#7 ·
I had a similar conversation with Bob Meiser this week as I was considering a rod for the Missouri. I asked about a 12 1/2' 6wt thinking that's what I needed and he quickly helped me understand that a 3/4 or a 4/5 were the better options and rods starting at 11' and up to 12' or 12 1/2' would be ideal. I currently own a Burkie 5115 and an ACR 4119 built on a Sage blank. I'm thinking these two rods should handle most anything I'll fish with or for. The 5115 is lined with the original Burkie line recommendation of a 390 skagit switch. I'm still trying to figure out this trout spey thing...just providing info from a respected builder (Meiz).

#8 ·
I currently own a Burkie 5115 and an ACR 4119 built on a Sage blank. I'm thinking these two rods should handle most anything I'll fish with or for.
That 5115 should handle in short order any trout that swims in the lower 48 and probably most in AK.
I have an ACR 1174 which is probably close to your 4119,,,,a nice combination to the Burkie.
I did add a 12'6" 6wt mid-belly for trout on those cold days with less stripping for keeping the pinkies warmer...

#9 ·
4 wt switch should be sufficient.

A while back I converted an older 6 wt 9 1/2 SAGE SP single-hand rod to a 4wt. switch rod and found it easy to punch large ungulate hair dry flies and petrochemical floaters into the wind. I mention this because a 6 wt single hander should be more than sufficient to cover those conditions, certainly with an appropriately matched shooting head (e.g., 8wt)

Just ordered a NextCast Fall Favourite 35 330 grain line for an Echo SR 10 1/2 ft. 4wt. (This FF 35 is rated 4/5.) Haven't fished it yet but it casts very well, much better than a 270 grain Rio light compact Scandi head I had been using. And that Scandi head was already much easier to cast while tossing large floating flies in nasty winds than a WF-6-F line on fast action 6 wt single hander.

I cannot comment on throwing 4-inch weighted streamers and bucktails for trout with a double-hand rod as I have essentially stopped fishing for trout with wet flies. A personal preference nothing more. But judging from lots of experience hucking big heavy stuff decades ago, including wind-swept Patagonia, I reckon that a 4 wt switch rod should be more than sufficient.

The trick is to load the switch rod in the mid-, bottom portion of the rod and let the rod do the work. Casting plane discipline always helps in tough winds.

If you have any Nordic blood and the resulting problems of tendinitis, and similar, you may never fish a single hander again.

#11 ·
Spate
I was actually thinking of just converting my old 9' 6" Dan Craft signature 5 into a two hand-er and may still but I need a project so a build from scratch is probably the way I'll go.
I think 11' is about my maximum length for my waters and about all I'll want hanging out there if I end up nymphing, as a last resort.

Do any of you have line recommendations?

Like I mentioned I've been looking at the Commando heads, the new Airflo Streamer Switch also looks interesting but not sure it's much different from Wulff's ambush

It's nice to be able to fish all the way back to the rod tip at times.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nextcast, Nextcast, Nextcast, ....

Spate
Do any of you have line recommendations?
What sinktip said and I already mentionned:

The web-site says the line is sold out but copies are available in retail outlets and the 'sold out' status could easily change by the time you finish wrapping and coating the rod.

Unfortunately I do not have experience with the other lines you mentioned.

sinktip: I use the same OPST SP Lazar Line running line in 50 lb. test on my TCX 7126. The 4 wt outfit is set up with 35 lb. test Guideline running line.

I keep wishing that Sweden would have a financial crisis so the Krona would sink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.