New Englander here - Spey Pages
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rank Stranger
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
New Englander here

Hello all,

New guy from the north east, looking to bomb some long casts in the surf and swing some flies in the current for stripers, SH fly fished since I was 12 and after 20 years looking to use my other hand. I picked up a CND rod and can’t wait to (try) to cast it!
2handsplease is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 AM
Rank Stranger
 
Rank Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Branch of Delaware River (New York), White River (Arkansas), Tweed (Scotland)
Posts: 20
Welcome, 2hands! Hope you find the spey pages as helpful as this newbie has. But I warn youthe Classified section has been dangerous for my bank account.

RS
GHalliday likes this.

Happily harassing the salmonid population of North America for five decades.
Rank Stranger is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Penobscot River, Grand Lake Stream, West Branch, East Outlet, Intercoastal Florida
Posts: 79
Hi 2handsplease,

Another NE spey guy here. I live in Maine. I have T&T rods. Where did you get the CND. Not well known.

Jack
Mecast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecast View Post
Hi 2handsplease,

Another NE spey guy here. I live in Maine. I have T&T rods. Where did you get the CND. Not well known.

Jack
Lots of internet searching for a surf rod. I planned to buy the g loomis crosscurrent but when I place my order found out they were discontinued. My next plan was a Beulah and while looking at used rods on EBay I found a CND and then thru more searching found a new one and ordered it.
2handsplease is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:50 PM
JD
 
JDJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rogue River State of Jefferson
Posts: 3,566
Welcome to the SpeyPages & congratulations on the CND. Which rod did you get?

I fish because the voices inside my head tell me to.
JDJones is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM
Registered User
 
speyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 805
Hey hows it going....and Welcome.
I started spey fishing and swinging a while back
I've learned to change things up & make adapations to the striper game.
I started chasing stripers in the last few years and have learned a few things.
Maybe they will help?, maybe not, just unsoliticited advice???? lol......but this is what I came to discover after going through a few iterations/rigs/gear/$$$$. Your mileage may vary:

Huge long spey rods--- became a pain in the rear to me.
A true speycast was only needed if i had a jetty behind me or a berm/bluff (think of the cape cod canal there in town with the bike paths by the bourne bridge)
On backcasts, line dips (that would strafe the sand/rocks) became more common.
Landing and taking control of fish was a little dicier, without as much mule-power as a shorter rod.
I didn't need to cast huge distances like the plug guys. In fact, I have found that many of my fish werre coming on either side of the inntermost breaks, with was often under 60 ft out.
Often, the process of stripping flies was more cumbersome with longer rods; esp. if I were using a basket, which I often did to avoid barnacles and rock abrasion.

I have found that overhead casting a 2 handed fast action rod of 11 feet is ideal for me; using intermediate lines like the rio outbound or airlow 40+ beach line

These short headed lines let me get in a fishing rythm of :
strip fly into base of head.......swirl rod left and right very slowlyy to swirl fly around near my feet to attract the 'chasers' in close.
if no takers......
roll cast out
backcast
come forward and ZING.

no false casting required ---extremely efficient movement with very little flailing around. and if I wanted huge distance, I could get the entire flyline out most of the time if I wanted.
But like I said, a lot of my fish came in ridiculouslyy close, so I have worked on enhancing my 'short game' so the fly is effectivelyy fishing its best in the 50 feet leading up to my waders.


Again.. Welcome! Theres a good handful of stripe, blue, and albie guys here. SOL is a pretty good site, too.
.

What I lack in skill --- I make up for with enthusiasm.

Last edited by speyday; 03-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.
speyday is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
Welcome to the SpeyPages & congratulations on the CND. Which rod did you get?
oceana 1111
2handsplease is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speyday View Post
Hey hows it going....and Welcome.
I started spey fishing and swinging a while back
I've learned to change things up & make adapations to the striper game.
I started chasing stripers in the last few years and have learned a few things.
Maybe they will help?, maybe not, just unsoliticited advice???? lol......but this is what I came to discover after going through a few iterations/rigs/gear/$$$$. Your mileage may vary:

Huge long spey rods--- became a pain in the rear to me.
A true speycast was only needed if i had a jetty behind me or a berm/bluff (think of the cape cod canal there in town with the bike paths by the bourne bridge)
On backcasts, line dips (that would strafe the sand/rocks) became more common.
Landing and taking control of fish was a little dicier, without as much mule-power as a shorter rod.
I didn't need to cast huge distances like the plug guys. In fact, I have found that many of my fish werre coming on either side of the inntermost breaks, with was often under 60 ft out.
Often, the process of stripping flies was more cumbersome with longer rods; esp. if I were using a basket, which I often did to avoid barnacles and rock abrasion.

I have found that overhead casting a 2 handed fast action rod of 11 feet is ideal for me; using intermediate lines like the rio outbound or airlow 40+ beach line

These short headed lines let me get in a fishing rythm of :
strip fly into base of head.......swirl rod left and right very slowlyy to swirl fly around near my feet to attract the 'chasers' in close.
if no takers......
roll cast out
backcast
come forward and ZING.

no false casting required ---extremely efficient movement with very little flailing around. and if I wanted huge distance, I could get the entire flyline out most of the time if I wanted.
But like I said, a lot of my fish came in ridiculouslyy close, so I have worked on enhancing my 'short game' so the fly is effectivelyy fishing its best in the 50 feet leading up to my waders.


Again.. Welcome! Theres a good handful of stripe, blue, and albie guys here. SOL is a pretty good site, too.
.
I appreciate the info!! I’m in CT so maybe I’ll see you up at the ditch some time!
2handsplease is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome