Spey Pages banner

My give -a-dam is busted

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  MJC 
#1 ·
Ever have one of those days when every thing you did is right and your cast is still going south.
The more you work on it the more frustrated you become.
Case in point on a recent casting session I started throwing tailing loops.
Not big one just the lazy tip and leader.
Adjusted my power worked on my stroke and nothing.
If followed me from cast to cast just like bad penny.
Then a light came on and I took a look at the line.
About six inches up from the leader was a brake in the coating to the core.

This was what was giving me that little trailing loop.
My casting was for once was fine.
:Eyecrazy:

Here is the question how many of you have had similar experiences?

Please share them with us.

:smokin:

See less See more
#3 ·
Boss
Since I just happen to still be awake at 11:55 and quite bored and quite awake I will answer. you really need to check your gear before you go casting, after all hundreds of people have probably been casting that same line as you.And yes, sometimes its those little things that make a big difference :hihi: Just today I took the big rod out for some practice with the 10/11 carron long belly and only to find out it had been almost bit in half by I would guess one of the dogs, my fault of course. I hope you have a spare line around the shop one could use.

#4 ·
Brian,

I wasn't aware that your Newf had learned how to spey cast! :chuckle: Why not cut it where it was damaged and splice it back together using Brian S.'s technique?

Aaron,

Three years ago I was winter fishing on the Skagit in early February and after about an hour my casting just went south. It seemed no matter what I did, I had either a tailing loop or the line would collapse at the sink tip and just pile into the water. I ended up getting a bird's nest in the leader so I brought the line in to take it out. Yep, just like you, I found a break in the line's coating just behind the loop splice and realizeda the line was badly hinging at the spot, which caused the casting problem.

#6 ·
Uh-huh.

Oh yeah. Just last Friday, using the SA line I've had about 4 years. I found the line coating cracked all the way around in 3 places and was thinking I'm gonna' have to chuck it. But maybe I can do a Brian wonder splice at those breaks and salvage some more life out of the line.

Now I just have to overcome Monday's casting karma. I was out on the coast, and the afternoon upstream wind was making my single Speys look positively foolish with the Spey Tracker. Aimed the cast, and the point of my line kept landing 15 to 20' upstream of where I aimed. I almost thought I was back on the Carribean flats casting in an upcomming hurricane.

Maybe next time.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#7 ·
Hmmm... all these posts about cracked lines makes Airflo's 5 yr "no crack" warranty look pretty good.

I have had a couple of the Airflos crack also but Rajeff's cheerfully hustled some replacements right out. :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.