Spey Pages banner

Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  baldmountain 
#1 ·
Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers by David Klausmeyer

This is an easy read with some good information and step-by-step instruction on tying "'Carrie Stevens" type streamers. The instruction are very simple and the is a tendancy to skip over the words and just look at the pictures ... but there are some good hints in the words ... so read all of them.

The photography is beautifully done and the last third of the book is all patterns with large pictures so you can see a lot of the detail.

The only negitive was I kept looking for more on the history, lore and use of the flies, but since Klausmeyer states in the book his intention is to focus on the tying and not the history ... I guess he delivered what he said he would.

However, I will be looking into the bibliography for a little more depth reading.

Stephen

#2 ·
I agree that this book is one of the best for clear and easy to understand instruction on the techniques used in tying the classic "north country featherwing streamers" that Carrie Stevens flies epitomized. Even if it didn't have all the pattern recipes included, it would be a valuable book for anyone interested in tying the classic featherwing trolling streamers.

#3 ·
Actually, I had a look at Klausmeyer's other books on Amazon.com. I think I'd be more interested in his "Guide Flies" book. I'm too old and my eyes aren't good enought to tie fancy flies anymore. "Guide Flies" tend to be easy to tie, (becuase clients loose lots of them and fish tear them up), and work well, (Becasue the guide wants repeat customers.) :D

I have two of these kinds of books on my wish list. Klausmeyer's "Guide Flies" and "Go-To Flies" by Tony Lolli.

Actually, my eyes aren't that bad. I can still tie fancy streamers. I'm just too lazy. I'd rather tie easy flies. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.