Sink tip question on trout rod - Spey Pages
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By eriefisher
  • 1 Post By GHalliday
  • 2 Post By bender
  • 2 Post By Rustybee
  • 1 Post By bender
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 580
Sink tip question on trout rod

How long sink tip on a 9 foot 4 or 5 weight trout rod you guys use? Something that is easy to cast. Due you guys use poly leaders or regular sink tip?
smsnyder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Registered User
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 854
This is a single hander? What line/head are you using?

Dan

Which way to the river?
eriefisher is online now  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 580
Yes single hand rod.
smsnyder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:56 PM
Registered User
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 854
I will assume you want to use an OPST or something similar for a head/line. In that case I would likely use a light mow with a mix sink/float. If it gets tough to pull out of the water then a trout poly leader. You may need to play with length. I am probably wrong but I don't think a 4/5wt will pull a full t-?? sink tip out of the water and cast it easily.

Just my thoughts.

Dan
Tyson likes this.

Which way to the river?
eriefisher is online now  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 PM
Registered User
 
GHalliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 561
seven and a half foot Commando tip should do the trick depending on which head you are using.
Tyson likes this.
GHalliday is online now  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:08 AM
Registered User
 
Jfk2lax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: BC
Posts: 12
I have no problems throwing sinktips on a 200 gr commando. Using a glass 5 weight.

Whatcha got on there?
Jfk2lax is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:38 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,932
You can Spey cast 15ft T11 (~165gr) using long mono leader when you don't use any line belly. Tapered 15ft tips Spey cast smoother. You can make smoother casting fast sinking shooting head using for example 10ft T11 belly and 10 to 15ft polyleader which weight 50gr and up.

Esa
bender is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 AM
Registered User
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfk2lax View Post
I have no problems throwing sinktips on a 200 gr commando. Using a glass 5 weight.
I stand Corrected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
You can Spey cast 15ft T11 (~165gr) using long mono leader when you don't use any line belly. Tapered 15ft tips Spey cast smoother. You can make smoother casting fast sinking shooting head using for example 10ft T11 belly and 10 to 15ft polyleader which weight 50gr and up.

Esa
Are you talking about using a tapered sink tip as a head? Something like a full sink scandi(very-short)?

Dan

Which way to the river?
eriefisher is online now  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriefisher View Post
I stand Corrected!


Are you talking about using a tapered sink tip as a head? Something like a full sink scandi(very-short)?

Dan
Yes! I have cast Guideline Powertaper and Loop Opti shooting head tips as a single hand shooting heads. Practically anything can be Spey cast when the leader is long but then the full length of cast line is not short anymore. I have cut few Skagit bellys which did not get any use anymore to short pieces from 1ft to 10ft and looped them and use them to tune tips and light shooting heads for longer and heavier rods.

Long leader and long front taper improves Spey cast efficiency when proportionally more line mass comes to top of the D-loop so cast approach an overhead cast. Also when leader is light the fly water drag comes proportionally higher and anchor does not blow too much and casting comes easier. However when it is windy anchoring light line tip can be challenging but Snap-T, Snake Roll and Snake Poke where we can use higher line speed and "slam" the fly to water can be useable casts and then the higher water noise they produce should not be a problem.

Esa
Rustybee and Tyson like this.
bender is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Registered User
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
Yes! I have cast Guideline Powertaper and Loop Opti shooting head tips as a single hand shooting heads. Practically anything can be Spey cast when the leader is long but then the full length of cast line is not short anymore. I have cut few Skagit bellys which did not get any use anymore to short pieces from 1ft to 10ft and looped them and use them to tune tips and light shooting heads for longer and heavier rods.

Long leader and long front taper improves Spey cast efficiency when proportionally more line mass comes to top of the D-loop so cast approach an overhead cast. Also when leader is light the fly water drag comes proportionally higher and anchor does not blow too much and casting comes easier. However when it is windy anchoring light line tip can be challenging but Snap-T, Snake Roll and Snake Poke where we can use higher line speed and "slam" the fly to water can be useable casts and then the higher water noise they produce should not be a problem.

Esa
This sounds like something to try out. I had not considered this sort of set up. Adding to your set up description, I have some skagit cheaters, add a tapered tip then leader. This might work well on shorter SH rods, sub 10ft. I think it would give you the length required as well as add some weight to the top of the d-loop. Thoughts?

Dan

Sorry, I'm straying from the question originally posted.

Which way to the river?

Last edited by eriefisher; 02-23-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: apology
eriefisher is online now  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 742
Better question would be... where do u intend to catch these trouts. Swinging in a river or stripping on a lake? Cannot think of many situations where I will used sink tips on 5/6wt SH rods on the river (if i do it is maybe 6ft of super light t material or sinking polyleader). Mostly floating tips or sometimes intermediate tips for sub surface presentation.

Almost exclusively use full sink lines on lakes. Using a short sink tip on a floating line in this situation would be an exercise in futility.
Tyson and eriefisher like this.

Last edited by Rustybee; 02-23-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Rustybee is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriefisher View Post
This sounds like something to try out. I had not considered this sort of set up. Adding to your set up description, I have some skagit cheaters, add a tapered tip then leader. This might work well on shorter SH rods, sub 10ft. I think it would give you the length required as well as add some weight to the top of the d-loop. Thoughts?

Dan

Sorry, I'm straying from the question originally posted.
Yes that'll do! When I have built Spey lines I have think "triangle" but now recently I have think "trumpet".

After testing I usually join the line sections permanently. I have used splicing but it is time consuming and welding but on PVC coatings it is not always 100% or pretty so now I use thread wrapping. I have built one piece shooting heads putting thin heat shring tubing over loop to loop connection which loops I have self made neat and thin and it is good for few trips but needs to be replaced eventually. When building loops usually I strip 2/3" coating away, fold the core and thread wrap. If core looks thin/weak or when it is mono I thread wrap folded 2" braid both side of the line.

Thick "line factory" made loops can be made thinner putting just the 1/16" of tip to acethone for a minute and scraping coating away using finger nail. Just the tip because acethone soaks to the coating further up and then it does not make the weld weaker.

Esa
eriefisher likes this.
bender is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sink tip weight vs sink tip length. pirate Technique 3 10-17-2012 12:01 PM
Sink tip fly line question tpcollins Tackle 1 10-26-2011 09:29 PM
Sink Tip Question steelslayer81 Tackle 21 01-11-2011 04:26 PM
Sink Tip Question obock Tackle 15 03-20-2009 09:49 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome