deciding to give single hand skagit a go - Spey Pages
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By matuka mike
  • 2 Post By Tyson
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
deciding to give single hand skagit a go

im trying to find some rods for single hand skagit and am looking for some recommendations. Something cheaper. I'm looking at the Echo ion XL, a few TFO rods and a couple cabela's rods. Mostly a 6wt with a fighting butt. Any other suggestions would be nice!
carlosjr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 PM
registered text offender
 
matuka mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Orewashingontanaho
Posts: 1,304
why not post a wtb in the classifieds? get a us made rod for the same coin and be able to recoup your investment later on ?
LowWaterDouble likes this.

insta-release not Insta-gram !!

Dog is my co-pilot !
matuka mike is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Registered User
 
Peteo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 552
One of the nice things about SH spey casting is that the more moderate flexing blanks cast better and they're usually much less expensive. I like my TFO Professional, and it comes as a 10 foot 6 weight with a fighting butt, but I'm not a fan of the cork TFO uses. The Cabelas LSi is a nice rod and has a 9 foot 6 weight with a fighting butt. If you want a real deal and don't mind a much shorter, slightly lighter, and really full flexing rod the Cabelas CGR fiberglass rods are on sale for like $60 and they have a 7 1/2 foot 5/6 weight with a fighting butt.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers." - Roderick Haig-Brown
Peteo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 PM
Registered User
 
Tyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Provo River
Posts: 46
I have used a Cabelas CZN 10' 4wt for single hand skagit the past couple years and really like it.
It does not have a fighting butt however I recently ordered some removeable foam fighting butt caps made by TFO and they are easy to pop on.

It is light in the hand for a 10 footer, moderate fast action. The guides are small but I use integrated lines so not really an issue.
borealis and Dcote like this.

"It is not the fish that is hard to figure out, but we the fishers, why we do what we do. For a fish survival is enough."
Tyson is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM
DDB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Potomac/Shanendoah
Posts: 200
Tyson,

How did you find the removable foam fighting butt from TFO?

I called them and the young wman in sales had no idea what I was talking about? I also emailed them with no response.

Thanks for any help.

DDB
DDB is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,310
Got for the Echo OHS - you won't be disappointed.
JonT is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Registered User
 
Tyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Provo River
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDB View Post
Tyson,

How did you find the removable foam fighting butt from TFO?

I called them and the young wman in sales had no idea what I was talking about? I also emailed them with no response.

Thanks for any help.

DDB
They are called 'tfo foam rod butt caps' or 'Removable Fighting Butt Caps' on the site I ordered them on. So they are not actually an extended fighting butt, just a foam cap. I think if you search either of those phrases they should come up.

"It is not the fish that is hard to figure out, but we the fishers, why we do what we do. For a fish survival is enough."
Tyson is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
After a while of debating, I'm deciding to get a glass rod. Probably the cabelas CGR in either the 5wt or 5/6. anyone have a rec on lines I should look at? Skagit trout max, OPST and scout heads all come to mind.

*will also post in classifieds if anyone has a glass rod for sale*
carlosjr is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Registered User
 
4sallypat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 280
Good choice on a slower action rod !
SH spey casting works much better with moderate to slow action rods.

Because the rod length is shorter on a SH rod, for spey casts I use a short head like the Airflo Scout or OPST Commando.
Depending on your casting ability - the tips are usually shorter than the normal 10' skagit tips.
I use the short OPST float and micro skagit - 5' and 7' tips.
If you need a deeper dredging sink tip, I use bulk RIO T8 and SGS Z10 w/ braided loops into custom lengths under 10'....
If you need some bulk Z10, I can send you some.
4sallypat is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Good choice on a slower action rod !
SH spey casting works much better with moderate to slow action rods.

Because the rod length is shorter on a SH rod, for spey casts I use a short head like the Airflo Scout or OPST Commando.
Depending on your casting ability - the tips are usually shorter than the normal 10' skagit tips.
I use the short OPST float and micro skagit - 5' and 7' tips.
If you need a deeper dredging sink tip, I use bulk RIO T8 and SGS Z10 w/ braided loops into custom lengths under 10'....
If you need some bulk Z10, I can send you some.
I ended up getting the CGR 7'6" 5/6wt and a 200gr OPST commando. I hopefully will be able to get out monday for a test run and hopefully swing up some local bows and cutts.
I cut down one of my 10' t10 tips to 7.5' so I'm hoping it works out well.
I appreciate the offer on the z10! How much was the bulk spool for the z-material?
carlosjr is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Registered User
 
4sallypat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosjr View Post
I ended up getting the CGR 7'6" 5/6wt and a 200gr OPST commando. I hopefully will be able to get out monday for a test run and hopefully swing up some local bows and cutts.
I cut down one of my 10' t10 tips to 7.5' so I'm hoping it works out well.
I appreciate the offer on the z10! How much was the bulk spool for the z-material?
I have a spool of the Z10 I got at a good price - let me know if you need some.

7.5' is a good length and should be good for waterborne casts including a Perry Poke on your SH.

For a 200gr Commando head, you should look at using a polyleader or versileader as well as lighter T8 or Z7 tips...

Do let us know how your casts went ?
4sallypat is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
I have a spool of the Z10 I got at a good price - let me know if you need some.

7.5' is a good length and should be good for waterborne casts including a Perry Poke on your SH.

For a 200gr Commando head, you should look at using a polyleader or versileader as well as lighter T8 or Z7 tips...

Do let us know how your casts went ?
I might have to just take you up on that offer then! I will give an update tomorrow when I am back from my outing
carlosjr is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
went out today to fish the CGR glass and it went ok. I felt the 200gr head was a little too much for the soft nature of the glass rod. I think that 150 would probably be a little more appropriate. However, I was able to fish the head and 4-7.5' of t10 and a little rabbit leech about 50'.

I am not used to the nature of glass and had to slow my stroke down a little too much for my liking, however, it was a nice change of pace
carlosjr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
single hand skagit domantas Tackle 1 03-28-2012 01:31 PM
Single hand skagit asgeir1717 Tackle 11 06-08-2009 10:52 AM
SA single hand skagit??? mpukas Tackle 6 05-10-2008 11:13 AM
single hand skagit anyone? SSPey General 21 10-14-2007 08:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome