Spey Pages banner

A few recent efforts...

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  failtospey 
#1 ·
Hey All.

Just thought I would post up some new bugs. I got really stoked on Allen S. post "I haven't quit" full of stunning married wing flies this morning. One in particular I was really into, a black and shades of orange number.... wow! Since I have not the skills to even come close to reproducing a fly like that... I tyed this humble 3/0 dee by poaching his lovely pattern, Thank-you Allen S.

And 4 others that I tied as part of a group I am working on as a thank-you to a friend. A Glentanar, Brown Wing Killer, Rintoul and a Doc Spratley.

And one more, another Glentanar that I tied as a gift to our own Bwana Bill who organized the Gift for Marty's retirement by having us pagers here in HFF tie up patterns that Marty has graciously shared SBS's with us in the past. I tied a fly for Marty's retirement gift.... but it felt strange to send only one fly to Bill.... that will not be for him.... Kinda like giving a wallet as a gift with no money in it. Just not right.

Just more of the reciprocating goodness and inspiration that stems from the community here on Speypages in the Hooks, Feathers and Floss forum. Thanks Guys!

Cheers and tight lines.
James

See less See more
#4 ·
Stunner D Sir James. That orange and black Allen-fly caught my attention as well (actually pretty much all of them did), it would be or yours would be the first fly I tied on this fall on the Grande Ronde.

#7 ·
Cheers fellas, this one just had me from the minute I saw it! Thanks again Allen S.

Bill. My pleasure brother! there are a few other goodies in there for you as well.... I hope they are not too big for you to fish ;)

fishOn4ever. Spratleys are good bugs, I have been meaning to tie a few variations of the pattern color-wise, but the standard black is just too good!

Here is the recipe for that black/orange dee above.

Hook- Partridge HE2 or other long shank dee hook,
Tag - Silver oval and golden yellow silk
Tail- Black GP crest and lady Amherst rump
Butt - black ostrich hurl
Body- 1/2 turn orange silk, 1 turn orange seal, 1 1/2 turns orange/red seal, 2 turns black seal, picked out, tapering.
Rib - large flat gold tinsel followed by silver twist
Hackle- Black, stripped one side, from 2nd rib
Throat- Black Heron followed by Guinea
Wing- Orange turkey set flat and apart
Cheeks- Jungle cock, long and slightly dropping
Head/thread- Black 6/0 Danville waxed

I think when I tie this again, I will either marry some black turkey with the orange on the leading edge?

Cheers.
James

#15 ·
You guys rock! Cheers!

Flyfishin'jam. Damn right! Man I dig the super clean style of your bugs.

Todd. I would love to see that, and I bet I'm not the only one! If ya can't part ways with the foam..... tie up a big, split foam wing dee style skater...... now, that would really make a wake!

FishOn4ever. I use the Amherst rump as a sub for Indian Crow all the time. Its not great, but it's not too bad either. I purchased a headless skin just for these feathers which are variable in size and color, and the skins are very cost effective with some other cool smaller feathers on them.

Sammich maker,
James :razz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.