Spey Pages banner

Swinging flies for trout?

9K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  fyshhead 
#1 ·
What is everyone swinging for trout? I am in the first stages of building up my fly box for swinging and am in need of inspiration. So far I have a ton of different wooly buggers, egg sucking leaches, soft hackles and a few micro intruders.

#13 ·
Streamers...

Traditional wets...

Also, check out the thread I started a few days ago. Lots of great ideas there!

Working on some bunny and marabou sculpin kind of flies lately. You can't go wrong with bunny and 'bou!! I'll post some up shortly.

Tallpine, that mini intruder is great, by the way!

Everyone, keep them coming!!

-Bill

#14 ·
I was up at Lee's Ferry in AZ last weekend. It was night and day with the Simi Seal Leech in green with a bead head. Tried dries and soft hackles, but the simi saved the day. The year prior a black bunny leech with cone head was the ticket.

Though I've mostly been partial to streamers, I am eager to find some spots where a traditional wet or soft hackle will produce.

#16 ·
In Alaska, when fly fishing for resident rainbows with either DH or SH rod, one needs to match the hatch ( imitation of small salmon, salmon flesh or alaskan laming/mouse).

I like to use cork in front of the mouse pattern. After fish devour the mouse, the cork can slides on the line. Such pattern also allows for enchanted disturbance on the water surface and soaked with water body stays just under surface ( perfect) . Such fly is heavy enough to cut through a wind. I hate foam only mouse because during even moderates winds it is not easy to cast it.

As for the rods, a Kerry Burkheimer short spey 5115-4 or 695-4 rods are perfect and so seet to fish and cast.

#18 · (Edited)
Been playing around with wet flies rather than the typical sculpzilla, ganja style marabou bomber.

After a few designs I've settled with this to imitate a baby brown trout. Seems to be working stripped off the banks now in winter conditions.

edit: Heres another one, bought soft beads on accident from ebay which I had no interest in. So I've been trying to add them in random places. There squishy so if you swing them they don't break like the hard beads. Not as bummed on them anymore. Heres an egg eating baby brown imitation wet fly.

#24 ·
I didn't even know what I hooked when I first pulled it in! I've only ever caught rainbows and brownies so when I saw that beauty is was a bit of a surprise! I recognized the white slashes on the leading edge of the fin but was like whaaaaa? Had to confirm with a friend at a local fly shop haha

Anyone tried out the Winston 10'6" 3wt? Saw Olddoc had used the 4wt. What sort of reel are you guys mounting on the ACR 3wts?

#27 ·
What sort of reel are you guys mounting on the ACR 3wts?
I have an ACR 1174 and like a Hardy Zenith on it. I also have a Hardy St Aiden which is fine. And I have a Hardy Bougle 3 3/4", but use that mostly on my ACR 1255. Any of them would be fine, but I seem to like the Zenith the best. I don't know, but would imagine you could use any of those on the ACR 1173 too. Give Gary a call and ask what he recommends for it. Great guy!! He will set you up and set you straight for sure :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.