Spey Pages - View Single Post - Anglers Roost 11' 3/4 Handle Conversion
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rickbjr

Anglers Roost 11' 3/4 Handle Conversion

Been lurking for a while. Great site. I've been at the Spey Game for about 1 year and have been bit hard. I have a Redington Dually 7 that I started for steelhead with then I got the Dually 5 weight for trout and have since added the Anglers Roost 13' 7/8 and this rod an Anglers Roost 11' 3/4. I took the Dually 5 weight out to the Bighorn in September and did quite well with it but felt it was a little too much rod. I was using a Rio Scandi Short Versa Tip 5 and an Airflo 360 grain Skagit Switch. When I got home I started research on lighter rods. I ended up ordering the Anglers Roost 11' 3/4 and a spey handle kit from Mudhole. I ordered the complete rod because I didn't feel like putting guides on and wrapping them, etc., etc. The rod underwent surgery and the grip and reel seat were removed. The Mudhole spey grip was modified and cut down a bit and sanded to a smaller diameter. Total cost was about $150.00, $100 and change for the rod and about $40 and change for the grip.

The rod is fantastic casting a 225 grain Rio Skagit Short with T-8 Mow tips and also the 5 weight Rio 10' scandi tips from the 5 weight line referenced above. The rod could easily handle 250 grains. Trout put quite a bend into the rod with fish 15 inches and larger bending the rod into the cork. I also swing for schoolie stripers in back channels/rivers of the lower Connecticut River. A 24 inch schoolie doubles the rod over. Its amazing the size flies you can chuck out 60-70 feet.

My son just got the 12' 2/3 from Anglers Roost and the action on that rod is sweet. He'll be doing the same type of handle conversion to that rod.

Here is a pic of the 11' 3/4 with a Tioga Magnum 6:

[IMG][/IMG]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome