Rivers of a lost coast - Spey Pages
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exploits River
Posts: 80
Rivers of a lost coast

Best fly fishing documentary I've ever seen, hands down.

A real take-home message that every angler should be required to watch before being granted a fly fishing license. I see the same problems playing out up in this neck of the woods.

If you haven't seen it, go buy it and watch it. A truly amazing piece of work.
switchswing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Registered User
 
sixheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest of Normal Where The Real Wild Things Are
Posts: 766
Yep, the rivers of The Lost Coast were irreparably damaged and Bill Schaadt was a fly fishing Gandhi.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
John Wooden

WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT

FlyWerks
sixheads is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 113
The "Lost Coast".....................

WHAT a piece. Makes me so sad to even think WHAT it was like.

I salute you conservation-minded souls out there.
YOU.....................ROCK!
bigtroutchaser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM
JD
 
JDJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rogue River State of Jefferson
Posts: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchswing View Post
Best fly fishing documentary I've ever seen, hands down.

A real take-home message that every angler should be required to watch before being granted a fly fishing license.
I've been trying to get the Rogue Fly Fishers to show that movie ever since it first came out. Preferably, with some of the notables in the movie as speakers.

I fish because the voices inside my head tell me to.
JDJones is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered User
 
Bignap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Salmon River NY, Atlantic Ocean N.J.
Posts: 574
What an amazing documentary...
Bignap is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 AM
fly fisher 'til it's over
 
Bob Budesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rogue River, State of Jefferson
Posts: 1,009
JDJones just loaned this video to me the other day, and everyone's right - this is an amazing piece of work.

It's imperative that we treat the natural resources respectfully, and with as much knowledge and science available to us.

I'm sure there are resources that if pushed too far, will never return. Unfortunately, we may not realize this until it happens.

I spent 4 years growing up in Germany in the late 50's, and can remember going hunting with my father. As I remember, a person couldn't go hunting without being invited to a preserve, and a game keeper had to accompany you, telling you which animals you could shoot, and which ones to leave. It was very regulated and controlled, but also very beautiful and well-managed.

Without proper regard for our natural resources, we could end up in the same place!

Thanks JD!

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river, and he is not the same man".--Heraclitus
Bob Budesa is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM
The Dude abides
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rogue
Posts: 2,081
If anyone has this for loan, trade, or sale, I'd love to get my hands on a copy.
MZilliox is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: OR
Posts: 2,887
It's a heart breaker.

And should offer a path for the future, but I'm afraid we are a species of habit- development at all costs.
SLSS is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:17 PM
JD
 
JDJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rogue River State of Jefferson
Posts: 3,568
Develpment, at all costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSS View Post
I'm afraid we are a species of habit- development at all costs.
At the risk of being reprimanded by the moderators, I feel this needs to be said.

Every now & then, you'll see a blurb in the paper, or hear a member of your local city council proclaim that some study has estimated 100% growth in population in our area within the next five or ten years. And by golly, we had better start updating & expanding our infrastructure system and building more houses so that we will be ready for this coming influx of people! And all of this is supposed to create new jobs, and be better for the community. Yada, yada, yada. Smoke & mirrors.

BUUUULLL SH**T!!! Has anyone gone to the trouble of calculating how many gallons of water all these extra people are going to consume per year? And just where is that water going to come from? The river? The water table? One & the same. And do we really want all the problems associated with this cockamamie plan?

Rather than build it & they will come, I say don't build it and they can not come!

I fish because the voices inside my head tell me to.
JDJones is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: OR
Posts: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
At the risk of being reprimanded by the moderators, I feel this needs to be said.

Every now & then, you'll see a blurb in the paper, or hear a member of your local city council proclaim that some study has estimated 100% growth in population in our area within the next five or ten years. And by golly, we had better start updating & expanding our infrastructure system and building more houses so that we will be ready for this coming influx of people! And all of this is supposed to create new jobs, and be better for the community. Yada, yada, yada. Smoke & mirrors.

BUUUULLL SH**T!!! Has anyone gone to the trouble of calculating how many gallons of water all these extra people are going to consume per year? And just where is that water going to come from? The river? The water table? One & the same. And do we really want all the problems associated with this cockamamie plan?

Rather than build it & they will come, I say don't build it and they can not come!
Completely agree, JD. The Portland area was for years an outlier, putting responsible development ahead of individual demand, turning away some businesses as a result. I'm pretty sure that was voted out in a referendum a few years ago.
SLSS is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Registered User
 
fyshhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: american river
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZilliox View Post
If anyone has this for loan, trade, or sale, I'd love to get my hands on a copy.
MZilliox, if I can burn a copy ...that's if it allows me to ,I will let you know and pm you for your address.
fyshhead is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 61
find it here

I think you can see the full movie online here http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title...andard_edition
knothead is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
JD
 
JDJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rogue River State of Jefferson
Posts: 3,568
those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSS View Post
Completely agree, JD. The Portland area was for years an outlier, putting responsible development ahead of individual demand, turning away some businesses as a result. I'm pretty sure that was voted out in a referendum a few years ago.
Great floods & slides of 1964 No, Ca, present day slide Oso, North Fork Stilly. Need I say more?

I fish because the voices inside my head tell me to.
JDJones is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: OR
Posts: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
Great floods & slides of 1964 No, Ca, present day slide Oso, North Fork Stilly. Need I say more?
Tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid.
SLSS is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered User
 
DWFII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 748
The thing I took away from the video...which was very good...was not so much that hatchery fish (barely mentioned and not as a culprit) are causing/have caused the decline of runs as much as human produced environmental degradation. The logging in particular. And of course the dams and the floods and the drought. The last two surely not unique in the long term natural history of the area...although the remedies were drastic enough.

But the one thing that struck me was the statement that most Californians (and this surely applies throughout the west coast states) don't care about fish. Baldly stated in the film...not originating with me. They want power from the dams and flood control and to exploit the resources of the forest. To the extent that the Eel, for instance, is even minimally recovering it is due to habitat restoration.

I appreciate the link above from knothead. Thanks.

Tight Lines & Dry Waders--DWFII
http://www.bootmaker.com/bespoke.htm
DWFII is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIB Rivers of a Lost Coast DVD Henning S Spey Classifieds 2 03-02-2014 01:09 AM
WTB: Rivers of a Lost Coast DVD sva01 Spey Classifieds 0 03-29-2011 11:24 AM
Rivers Of A Lost Coast silverchip General 1 02-17-2009 12:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome