Skagit Casting: High, slow sweep - Spey Pages
 13Likes
  • 8 Post By SkagitMiester
  • 1 Post By Botsari
  • 1 Post By JB1963
  • 1 Post By SkagitMiester
  • 2 Post By Botsari
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Skagit Casting: High, slow sweep

Skagit casting woes? Try a high, slow sweep.
SL2, Read1t48, Pere and 5 others like this.

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Registered User
 
Botsari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,948
I'm glad someone posted a vid of this "classical style double". There is a continuous spectrum between starting the sweep with tip to water and starting high. You actually trade off the percentage of the load that is shared, and when it is shaired, between the friction and the momentum of the rotating head above the water. You can get just as much power this way, up to a point, once you develope the touch. This is exactly why too much, or too dogmatic discussion of the "right" or "best" way is silly. I do find myself almost subconsciously adjusting closer to this when I use especially fast sinking tips or sinking lines...or longer lines. My friend casts like this - very high start - and with exaggerated delicacy and refinement with almost any kind of line - a trait that he says he picked up learning from Andy Murray when he was in England. Why? Because he can! When I see him cast I always smile and imagine a butler standing beside him knee deep in water with a tea caddy at the ready. It seems even more funny in that he is an ex-marine Vietnam vet who ran ultra marathons for fun into his fifties.

Still, if you are learning or having any trouble better to stick with a consistent starting point above the water and get that style down first.
SkagitMiester likes this.
Botsari is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,310
Great video and advice!
JonT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Anglish spoken here
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Swedish Norwegian
Posts: 509
Hello.. A few days of seatrout fishing coming up this weekend. Iīll have this method in mind, the river is suitable for it. Just have to remind myself: .. Donīt dip.. Donīt dip.. Sweep and let go.. Could be beautiful?? Yours borano20
borano20 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 407
Great video. Helpful advice. Really digging this series. Thanks for putting them together.

Question: What is the song in the video? I recognize it, but can't place it...
Slint is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Registered User
 
JB1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Grand River
Posts: 209
High and slow

Another great tip and video from Tim. Pleasure to watch his video's.
SkagitMiester likes this.
JB1963 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
Great video. Helpful advice. Really digging this series. Thanks for putting them together.

Question: What is the song in the video? I recognize it, but can't place it...
Its called Low Seas by the 126ers. I like it too, its pretty relaxing. You may remember it from my
I lucked out with the timing on the first cast in that one. Thanks.
Slint likes this.

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botsari View Post
I'm glad someone posted a vid of this "classical style double". There is a continuous spectrum between starting the sweep with tip to water and starting high. You actually trade off the percentage of the load that is shared, and when it is shaired, between the friction and the momentum of the rotating head above the water. You can get just as much power this way, up to a point, once you develope the touch. This is exactly why too much, or too dogmatic discussion of the "right" or "best" way is silly. I do find myself almost subconsciously adjusting closer to this when I use especially fast sinking tips or sinking lines...or longer lines. My friend casts like this - very high start - and with exaggerated delicacy and refinement with almost any kind of line - a trait that he says he picked up learning from Andy Murray when he was in England. Why? Because he can! When I see him cast I always smile and imagine a butler standing beside him knee deep in water with a tea caddy at the ready. It seems even more funny in that he is an ex-marine Vietnam vet who ran ultra marathons for fun into his fifties.

Still, if you are learning or having any trouble better to stick with a consistent starting point above the water and get that style down first.
It's nice to hear from you friend. I'm happy your health allows you to comment on the video. I would love to meet your friend. Sounds like a fine caster and great guy.

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by borano20 View Post
Hello.. A few days of seatrout fishing coming up this weekend. Iīll have this method in mind, the river is suitable for it. Just have to remind myself: .. Donīt dip.. Donīt dip.. Sweep and let go.. Could be beautiful?? Yours borano20
I'm sure you will have no trouble. This is a true case of "less is more." A shallow dip will not hurt at all. I'm anxious to hear how it works for you.

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Registered User
 
Botsari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkagitMiester View Post
It's nice to hear from you friend. I'm happy your health allows you to comment on the video. I would love to meet your friend. Sounds like a fine caster and great guy.

I'm doing well, and feel fine, and no pain. This is actually the most annoying part - for the next month I'm supposed to not do anything while feeling like I should be able. They don't want me to slip or fall before the bones are healed completely. The screws they put in my neck were a lot longer than I had guessed they would be - 30 mm.

My friend Milo broke up with girlfriend and moved back east late last year, so he is a Great Lakes steelheader now. His casting definetly stands out in a crowd.
Slint and SkagitMiester like this.
Botsari is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botsari View Post
I'm doing well, and feel fine, and no pain. This is actually the most annoying part - for the next month I'm supposed to not do anything while feeling like I should be able. They don't want me to slip or fall before the bones are healed completely. The screws they put in my neck were a lot longer than I had guessed they would be - 30 mm.

My friend Milo broke up with girlfriend and moved back east late last year, so he is a Great Lakes steelheader now. His casting definetly stands out in a crowd.
Wow! That is some big screws to be in your neck. How long before you can cast and fish?

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Registered User
 
spencesbridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 272
Tim, your videos are very well done and you are casting beautifully. Lots of good tips. Great job!

Gene Oswald

Bruce and Walker North America
BOSS Fly Lines
spencesbridge is online now  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Registered User
 
Botsari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkagitMiester View Post
Wow! That is some big screws to be in your neck. How long before you can cast and fish?
July 1. Its marked on my calendar in red sharpie!
Botsari is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botsari View Post
July 1. Its marked on my calendar in red sharpie!
Great! That's just around the corner. Glad you are healing up! Looking forward to more of your posts as always!

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencesbridge View Post
Tim, your videos are very well done and you are casting beautifully. Lots of good tips. Great job!

Gene Oswald
Thank you Gene. That totally makes my day!

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very slow sinking skagit tips nick k General 12 07-18-2013 09:47 PM
Casting Slow Rods vs Casting Fast Rods skip_scratch Rods 34 11-25-2011 06:13 AM
Scandi Casting: How High Do You Lift? Randyflycaster Technique 21 10-03-2011 12:07 PM
Casting Practice in Slow Water SuperiorChrome Technique 6 03-30-2011 09:07 PM
Skagit Sweep Method bendow Technique 35 06-01-2009 01:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome