The Tiniest "Spey" rod in the world - Spey Pages
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
The Tiniest "Spey" rod in the world

Here are a couple of videos in a post about my smallest rod outfitted with the tiniest Scandinavian shooting head I could find. I included quite a bit of uncut video footage including some cool casts and some stinkers. The videos last several minutes including some super slow mow stuff. The lighting was nice and I used a Gopro 4 Silver edition in 1080/60 so if you can watch them in HD quality, it shows off the clarity or the water and even the line fairly well.

Here is a small sampling from some of the longer videos on the blog.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmpTreYMFhM

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com

Last edited by SkagitMiester; 05-22-2016 at 10:17 AM.
SkagitMiester is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 AM
Dom
 
domantas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WI, MI, IN
Posts: 2,999
Multi tip tips makes great miniature shooting lines for these things.
SkagitMiester likes this.

Flyfishing, Jeeps, tattoos, love, rock & roll and other religious matter.
domantas is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by domantas View Post
Multi tip tips makes great miniature shooting lines for these things.
I agree totally. They cast great, can handle polyleaders and don't weigh more than the little Trout and bass that are so fun on these rods.

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Umpqua and Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,238
I have that exact rod.....and have a floating tip that should work. Will give it a try. Looks cool.
SkagitMiester likes this.
moethedog is online now  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by moethedog View Post
I have that exact rod.....and have a floating tip that should work. Will give it a try. Looks cool.
I love this little stick. I don't know if the blank is still available, but I would definitely pick another one up if given the chance. Let me know how it goes!

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Dom
 
domantas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WI, MI, IN
Posts: 2,999
Floating MOW tips also make great 6-8' rod heads. Its killer way to fish streamers!
SkagitMiester and Rustybee like this.

Flyfishing, Jeeps, tattoos, love, rock & roll and other religious matter.
domantas is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 AM
AJS Reels
 
AJS Reels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Taranaki NZ
Posts: 373
Best fun this summer

Enjoyed viewing that clip SkagitMiester Imagine that on a pastoral stream 5-6 yards wide full of 12-20inch rainbows, played around with some cut heads on converted 5wt and had a blast this last summer, some heads where only 9 ft but worked perfectly for small water, hope to post some footage soon as well.
SkagitMiester likes this.
AJS Reels is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NE MICHIGAN
Posts: 249
I've been doing this for a long time with my 7'6" 4wt., I like just a regular floating wf 2 sizes up. If you want extra grip use a furled leader.
Great video and helpful.

Thank you.
SkagitMiester likes this.

John
krumpkoolidge is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Reels View Post
Enjoyed viewing that clip SkagitMiester Imagine that on a pastoral stream 5-6 yards wide full of 12-20inch rainbows, played around with some cut heads on converted 5wt and had a blast this last summer, some heads where only 9 ft but worked perfectly for small water, hope to post some footage soon as well.
Yup! Sounds like a perfect scenario for such a rod and outfit. I hope to post some clips soon of a mighty 10 incher or two bending the Tiger-Eye in half. I'm looking forward to seeing your videos as well! Thanks for viewing.
SM

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumpkoolidge View Post
I've been doing this for a long time with my 7'6" 4wt., I like just a regular floating wf 2 sizes up. If you want extra grip use a furled leader.
Great video and helpful.

Thank you.
Thanks for the tip on the furled leader. Sounds interesting. I'm glad you found the video helpful. I edited the second video way down to super slow motion and some of my casts have glaring faults in them. Its really interesting to watch. I know what I need to practice now. Thanks for watching.

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:31 AM
AJS Reels
 
AJS Reels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Taranaki NZ
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkagitMiester View Post
Thanks for the tip on the furled leader. Sounds interesting. I'm glad you found the video helpful. I edited the second video way down to super slow motion and some of my casts have glaring faults in them. Its really interesting to watch. I know what I need to practice now. Thanks for watching.
Hey I found the fish don't care if it was a bullet laying master piece or a big open looped flopper once that fly starts swinging watch for that line to straighten
SkagitMiester likes this.
AJS Reels is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by domantas View Post
Floating MOW tips also make great 6-8' rod heads. Its killer way to fish streamers!
That's a great idea.

Do you know the grain weights of the floating mows? Are they all 10' long?

What else have you tried? SPG made me a 15' floating tip for a Skagit head that is a sweet shooting head for short rods.

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 1,447
I just visited my local fly shop,,, the Echo Carbon rods are on closeout pricing, Carbon II or whatever has obsoleted the original rods.

Test cast a 6'6" 3wt with an Ambush 195gr spey line, a little heavy however,, what a blast,,,, easy casting to reasonable distances.
I will purchase the rod tomorrow and convert it to two hand.

RIO MOW floating tips,,, all are 10ft long and have a tapered front tip about 3ft.
Ed Ward cuts his in 1/2 and has two tips, one level and one tapered with slightly different weights.

Light 90gr
Medium 120gr
Heavy 150gr
Extra Heavy 180gr

Another choice is the 10ft floating tips for the RIO Scandi Versitip lines
#4 - 45gr
#5 - 55gr
#6 - 65gr
#7 - 75gr
#8 - 85gr
#9 - 95gr

15ft tips for the Scandi Versitip lines
#5 - 73gr
#6 - 84gr
#7 - 95gr
#8 - 109gr
#9 - 129gr
#10 - 150gr
#11 - 168gr
#12 - 190gr

Regards,
FK

Last edited by FKrow; 07-05-2016 at 08:25 AM.
FKrow is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 01:04 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 49
I have a little 7'10" Sage TXL 00wt that I cannot wait to try shooting a little floating tip with now that I've read this thread. Damn; so bummed it's back to work tomorrow. All I did this weekend was catch little 4" bass that would have been way more fun with that setup.
Hippy Speedball is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKrow View Post
I just visited my local fly shop,,, the Echo Carbon rods are on closeout pricing, Carbon II or whatever has obsoleted the original rods.

Test cast a 6'6" 3wt with an Ambush 195gr spey line, a little heavy however,, what a blast,,,, easy casting to reasonable distances.
I will purchase the rod tomorrow and convert it to two hand.

RIO MOW floating tips,,, all are 10ft long and have a tapered front tip about 3ft.
Ed Ward cuts his in 1/2 and has two tips, one level and one tapered with slightly different weights.

Light 90gr
Medium 120gr
Heavy 150gr
Extra Heavy 180gr

Another choice is the 10ft floating tips for the RIO Scandi Versitip lines
#4 - 45gr
#5 - 55gr
#6 - 65gr
#7 - 75gr
#8 - 85gr
#9 - 95gr

15ft tips for the Scandi Versitip lines]
#5 - 73gr
#6 - 84gr
#7 - 95gr
#8 - 109gr
#9 - 129gr
#10 - 150gr
#11 - 168gr
#12 - 190gr

Regards,
FK
Thanks Fred, good post, that's a keeper! There ya go guys. A full line up of mini shooting heads for those tiny one handers. A hoot for small flies and fish!

... the pseudo-science of running-lines and matching heads has now devolved into such a miasma of obfuscation that it is a wonder that people are even not more confused....Erik Helm

www.linespeedjedi.com
SkagitMiester is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Hardy 12'6" "Wye" Bamboo Spey Rod Lee B Spey Classifieds 6 09-20-2014 01:38 PM
"The Lost World of Mr. Hardy" Salesville Tackle 3 10-31-2012 01:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome