The Pulse of the current 2013/2014 PNW winter steelhead season - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Fishing Forums > Fishing with the Doublehanded Rod
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM

The Pulse of the current 2013/2014 PNW winter steelhead season

Guys/Gals:

I'm just trying to get a sense of how folks are doing with finding PNW chrome encounters this winter?? For me, it's been kinda slow. I got one early dry line steelhead on black friday (November 29) and nothing since, despite the fact that I am a persistent type who gets out regularly. My friends have gotten a few, but nothing approaching any kind of consistency. I fish coastal Oregon rivers. We've had drought conditions until this past week when we finally got some rain, but who knows, maybe I'm the only one having a tough time.

Just trying to get a cross section of how fellow Pacfic Northwesterners are doing this winter, so I'd be glad to hear how your winter fishing has been so far and which region you fish most often (just general areas, ie., North Coast-OR, Mid Coast-OR, South Coast-OR, Puget Sound-WA, OP-WA, Coastal-WA, Lower Mainland-BC, Skeena-BC, etc)

Thanks,
Todd

My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/

Last edited by 808steelheader; 01-19-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 AM
registered text offender

had a great fall once the sun went away. this last spike in moisture/flows has finally got me motivated for winter fish. now its dry again, but i'm ready to go when the forecast changes. 1000 miles and 10,000 casts is all that stands between me and my next winter steelhead. i'm glad the weather is getting the dry and sunny out of its system early. any idea of predictions by odfw for the late/wild run ? dont worry, i'll be swinging your favorite run either way
Old 01-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Health has kept me from fishing but the upper Rogue has fish from the Wild and Scenic all the way to the hatchery. With the low water flows this is (appears) to be forcing the fish to 'stack up' in the deeper runs.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM

coastals

Fish were caught on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Perfect water levels on the Oregon coastal river we fished.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Relapsed Speyaholic

As we used to say back in my research days, the size of the N matters. So given that I'm only an N of 1, don't read too much into this.

I'm still waiting for my first winter fish of the season. Fishing Puget Sound rivers, I started getting serious back before Christmas. Since then I have 2-3 mornings a week and nada. Just off the river this morning hoping last week's high water had brought in some fish but neither I nor my buddy touched anything. I have heard that the hatchery run this year has been dismal and if the latest high water period didn't bring them in, they weren't coming. Who knows?

I have never caught large numbers of winter brats so don't care too much. Back in the good old days I would start expecting to find the first wild fish about MLK day. It would continue to build through April. These days, I have to hope I find one before everything shuts down at the end of the month.

"Loud reels save lives"
Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 PM

I got my second winter fish yesterday (posted about it in the Dry Line thread), but even my fishiest friends have been having a slow season so far. Hopefully it's just a matter that the the dry weather is causing the steelhead to be running a bit late to the party. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the season unfolds.

Todd

My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
Old 01-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Worship the two-hander

I guess I've been kind of lucky this year. I got my first fish in the Sandy Dec 2, after the river dropped and cleared, and got a wild one 3 days ago. Got 1 on the Clackamas, and have hooked and lost some fish on the N. coast, and had a two hookup day on the Umpqua. That being said, I guess luck has been on my side. I have also gotten to fish a lot, too. I keep hearing that it's a little slow right now, but that's not going to stop me from fishing because you will never get a grab from the couch! Being a new guy up here has been fun, and very challenging, but I must say I have been a little put off by some of the crowds and ethics, especially on the Umpqua with gear guys. Thanks for posting, and I hope I can say hi to some of you up here. All the Spey guys I meet up here are really nice and fun to chat with.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM

Early winter (hatchery) steelhead reports have been dismal all around WA, in Puget Sound, the coast, and lower Columbia River tributaries. Some bright spots on the coast, but Puget Sound hatcheries have had to close the rivers in the vicinity of the hatcheries because of the risk of not meeting broodstock needs. I've been out twice fishing areas that are not stocked with hatchery fish and caught nothing but a late bright coho salmon for my efforts. Wild fish should begin entering the rivers any time now, but since all of the hatchery returns are so far below average, it does not bode well for wild steelhead abundance either. Even though steelhead, like all anadromous fish, are responsive to precipitation, it is almost rare for run timing to be off by more than two weeks, early or late, except in the smallest of streams that simply are not navigable at low water. In other words, it's not likely to be a record setting season in WA.

Sg
Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Pullin' Thread

In a word, it sucks so far this winter here in northern Puget Sound. I've had one and only one pull, but no hookups since the beginning of December. I've not even seen the gear and egg cluster guys hooking fish this winter.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Worship the two-hander

This is my first time Winter fishing, I'm not giving up! These fish are like having a bad Girlfriend. You tie them the most beautiful flies, spend thousands on nice gear, love and respect them, and sell your soul for them, only to be shunned! That being said, I can't wait to get out tomorrow and try some more!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 AM

Exclamation This gets my Vote for .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo django View Post
This is my first time Winter fishing, I'm not giving up! These fish are like having a bad Girlfriend. You tie them the most beautiful flies, spend thousands on nice gear, love and respect them, and sell your soul for them, only to be shunned! That being said, I can't wait to get out tomorrow and try some more!
"Post of the Day."

Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 AM
registered text offender

you can do everything right, and still find out even your best freind hooked up with her. and he has the nerve to brag about it !!

those in the loop know that django has a thing for ladies with peirced lips
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matuka mike View Post
you can do everything right, and still find out even your best freind hooked up with her. and he has the nerve to brag about it !!
Not just that, but he hooked up with her with a wooly bugger bought at the store!

In eastern WA, it seems that the weather and I are never in sync. I went out yesterday but quit after 30 minutes of dredging tumbleweeds out of the river. We had a wind storm last week and the river is still full of them. I would have to time my casts to try to cast between them but invariably one would hook on my floating line during the swing. But overall this year, the fishing has been just OK between and my buddies. Not stellar, but not awful.

Wayne
Old 01-19-2014, 11:36 AM

It's getting to the heart of winter steelhead season here and for some reason I'm dreaming about summer, Alaska, Montana... The list goes on and on. Works been keeping me busy and maybe that's a good thing.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 PM

my first chance to head out this season. Vedder river, Chilliwack BC.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: