Line does not fit reel? - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM

Line does not fit reel?

I purchased an 7wt Airflo Speydicator line and started spooling it on my 9wt reel. There is approximately 190 yards of backing on the reel. The line will not fit leaving approximately 20 ft of the head not spooled. What would be better removing approximately 50 yards of backing or cutting approximately 30 - 50 feet from the running line? What is better more backing or less running line? Any help in this matter would be appreciated. If I cut the running line what is the proper way to replace the loop I just removed from the line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Junkyard Spey

Unless you can cast the whole line to the backing knot backing is more important than running line.

The above being said, to me it seems 150yds of backing is plenty except in some big water places.

How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM

190 yards or running line

The absolute best way to find of how much backing you can put on is wind the line on first (yep backwards) and then the backing, you now can adjust the running line if needed by cutting off some running line. Personally I use no more than 125-150 yds. of backing on my GL reels plus the running line & head.

The Speydicator line is 130 ft long, wow, thinking of making a dead drift of 120ft. ....................., not so much
Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Released to spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billt View Post
I purchased an 7wt Airflo Speydicator line and started spooling it on my 9wt reel. There is approximately 190 yards of backing on the reel. The line will not fit leaving approximately 20 ft of the head not spooled. What would be better removing approximately 50 yards of backing or cutting approximately 30 - 50 feet from the running line? What is better more backing or less running line? Any help in this matter would be appreciated. If I cut the running line what is the proper way to replace the loop I just removed from the line?
Firstly, consider how long is the maximum length cast you can make on a good day. Add 10 to 12 feet. That is the length of head/running line you 'need'.

Remove the fly line from the reel. Cut the excess (total length of head/running line minus the above 'maximum' cast distance +10-12') off the back of the running line.

You may find that this will be sufficient removed to get the whole of the adjusted head/running line over your current backing on your reel without over-filling the reel. If not, then remove the head/running line & the backing from the reel, and re-wind the head/running line on the reel first (as suggested above), and add backing over this to fill your reel.

Then you have the reel capacity determined to accommodate the head/running line, and as much backing as it will take.

Reverse the whole process again to wind on the backing followed by the head/running line, and you're in business!

Mike

Take only photographs, retain only memories, leave only a good impression of yourself, perhaps just footprints.

Your lines, your rivers, your way!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM

From the Caddis fly shop web site:

"Caution! These Speydicator lines are massive and will take up a lot more spool capacity than even a Skagit Compact with a thin floating running line. You may want to make sure that your Speydicator will fit your reel of choice or sometimes we cut 20 ft of running line off the rear of the line to make it fit."

With a 130' line that's no big deal.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM

I cut a decent portion of running line off the back of my speydicator. If you're using it for indicator fishing you'll never cast the entire line (if you can I'd love to see some video) and the only time I'd guess you'd see the backing is if you've got a hot fish. If you're not using it for indicator fishing, throw it away and get a better line
Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM
M.F. Steel Diamond

cut off more backing

i'd personally hold onto more running line, i really hate fighting fish with stretchy dacron. and if you're using the speydicator for its intended purpose of nymphing, you really do want all of that running line for better mendability (i.e. stack mends and such) that way when you do get a realistic drift of 60 feet or so you're not immediately into your backing. i would also assume if you're nymphing for steelhead its in a small river or from a boat where most of your line will be inside of your reel and chances of seeing your arbor knot are very slim. and i honestly think a delta or a windcutter type line would nymph better.. longer belly and thinner diameter than a gaydicator... still get the full line though, 120 feet or so... maybe a line weight or two under so you can make more over head casts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: