Choosing a Vintage Hardy Reel - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 PM

Choosing a Vintage Hardy Reel

I just sold a spey rod to justify buying a vintage hardy reel I've always wanted I'm looking for a reel to fish with. I love the sound of those old reels and basically I just think they're cool. I don't even know really where to start. I'm not to sure about ebay; its kinda a crap shoot sometimes. I'm thinking about something in the 3 3/4' to 4 1/4", as it will be going on a z-axis 8126. I love the Perfect, but I'm thinking they're just a little too expensive, I know there are others which ones a decent to fish with? I don't know though, some Perfects are $1200+ and some are around $500. I don't mind cosmetic wear I think it adds character, but it does need to be mechanically sound and fish well. Basically I looking for any sort of direction here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Dedicated Fisherman

Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Hi Dewey,

From what I have seen there are plenty of reels that come for sale here. On the auction be very sure to ask any question you may have before getting serious. Beware of getting caught up in a bidding war, wait it out and then (after asking all questions early) place your highest amount that you are comfortable with on the reel. Are you considering either a St. Aidan or St. Andrew? They are not palming reels but then neither is a Perfect.

Just be careful and ask questions whether you buy here or the auction site.

Ard

Ard Stetts' Life On The Line Alaskan Fly Fishing

Semper bene piscandi - Salmonum Pisces Venerabilis Rex
Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 PM

Cool

I love Hardy clickers and have 9 of them. If you want the older ones you need to be aware it's sometimes a little disconcerting to pay hundreds for a reel and when it arrives at your door it's not only dinged and dirty but the springs/pawls are weak etc. The Korean built Marquis reels would be a great choice I think unless you're especially intent on a vintage England made Hardy. The Marquis Salmon II would probably compliment your rod nicely and give forth lots of throaty sound with a fish on!

Edit: Ah the true Hardy guy posted whilst I was typing; he won't steer you wrong!

Last edited by wannafish1; 10-30-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Ard's post
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM

If you are after a Perfect, seems the 3 3/4" or 4" wide Salmon models would work on your rod. I've watched for those reels as well and it seems like about $500 is a realistic price to expect to find one in good "user" condition. I notice it is common to come across listings for old Perfects that have cracks on the frame or cross members so be sure to watch for that. Those reels will be cheaper if you don't mind the cracks. I don't think minor cracks on the frame (opposite the winding plate) compromises the structural integrity of the reel in most cases. Archuleta told me he repairs such cracks with an industrial epoxy. When I have some spare dough I'll be looking for a 3 3/4 myself. I currently own a 3 7/8 trout model that I love on my single hand rods.

The Marquis Salmon 2 as mentioned above would also be a good choice. The Marquis reels are definitely cheaper and have the palming rim. I own a modern Korean made version and it works great, but I found the springs to be a bit soft so I engage both pawls. I paid $250 for mine when it went on sale at my local shop.

Have fun with your search,

Todd

My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 PM

have you looked at the new 2014 Hardy Bougle reels. they are now being built back at the England shop so you will indeed still get an English made reel

I have 3 hardy's so far and my Bougle is actually my favourite even if it is a sourced out Bougle VII

I have a 4' Bougle
Marquis salmon #1
Perfect Taupo

next on the list is either another Bougle or a Cascapedia I think

also considering a Loop classic or a Speyco

Too many choices !!!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Quality wise, I haven't noticed any difference between the English made and Korean made Hardys. I have several older Perfects, and two newer Bougles, one English, the other Korean. They are all fine reels, I would say of equal quality, and it would seem the 4 inch Bougle would fit the bill for you. I think the Taupo is too small for your 8.

I prefer the exposed, clean side plates of the Perfect/Bougle design for playing fish to the exposed rim of the other Hardy designs. But I like them all.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 PM

St Aidan

I have four reels and three extra spools. They are the stable for my 1085 and 1196 Scott T2H and ARC respectively. They come up occasionally and all that I have seen have been in very good shape.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
I would not put any thing more than a 3 3/4 on a 8126. I have a ONE 8116 and had Dingley 3 3/4 on it this weekend. I prefer Dingley to Hardy...not as heavy and prefer everything else..including the look...but thats just me!!..and I have 2-3 Hardy reels..seems like I always put a Dingley on my rods. And a Dingley is less expensive..go figure!

If you go to photoshelter below my name you can see my Hardy next to a very large chinook ..3rd photo on top line...That reel is on a Dec Hogan 1409 and again on page two ..3rd up from bottom of first verticle line of images.

Any ?'s..just send them to me
Attached Images

Last edited by beau purvis; 10-31-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau purvis View Post
I would not put any thing more than a 3 3/4 on a 8126. I have a ONE 8116 and had Dingley 3 3/4 on it this weekend. I prefer Dingley to Hardy...not as heavy and prefer everything else..including the look...and I have 2-3 Hardy reels..seems like I always put a Dingley on my rods. And a Dingley is less expensive..go figure!

If you go to photoshelter below my name you can see my Hardy next to a very large chinook ..3rd photo on top line...That reel is on a Dec Hogan 1409 and again on page two ..3rd up from bottom of first verticle line of images.

Any ?'s..just send them to me
Beau, what's the weight on the Dingley 3 3/4??
Old 10-31-2013, 12:23 AM

You just missed out on this very interesting auction
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catal.../page2?rows=20
There's also Lang's coming up in a short while
http://www.langsauction.com/
HOWEVER, IMHO ,Here on Speypages is the best place to buy .

Don't sweat the bad casts for they sometimes bring you fish
Old 10-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Internet Scientist

Older perfects with original foot won't fit that 8126 IIRC without filing the foot
The Spey cast is chiefly remarkable for two distinct facts: (l) That in transit, the line pays a brief visit to the water ; (2) That the cast is entertaining to some, exasperating to others, yet the idol of all. Tips, George M. Kelson

The salmon fly is, after all, a very artificial thing. What it might represent to the salmon is largely conjectural. The Evolution of the Salmon Fly, T.E. Pryce-Tannatt
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 AM

And other Hardy reel models as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlecalf View Post
Older perfects with original foot won't fit that 8126 IIRC without filing the foot
I have found, unfortunately, that vintage Hardy reels with the big ribbed feet, brass and alloy both, will not fit into the reel seats of modern US designed rods. This includes Hardy Marquis Salmon 2s, older Uniquas, and in fact a whole bunch of other makers' reels from the UK.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:34 AM

Thank You

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Haven't ever seen a response like that on a forum. That really helps a lot. I was wondering about the Dingleys. I do like the looks and the price of them, and it seems like they are easier to find. I was wondering about the size also. Currently I am using a CLA 6. It's 4 1/4", and seems like I could go a little smaller. Any other feedback on places to look or who to contact would be appreciated, as I can't find anybody up here in Alaska that is into the vintage reel thing. Is it pretty obvious when a Hardy is korean made? I'd be open to a Korean made reel if the quality is there, but I think it would still be cool to have an authentic english made reel. And again thank you all for the help!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 AM

The only difference imediately noticeable between my two Korean made Hardys and the older England made reels is they are stamped "made by Hardy" instead of "made by Hardy in England at increased cost" ( I added the last three words). Looking/handling further you notice they are machined from high grade aluminum rather than cast metal.

There are some brand new versions on ebay or you can save a search and receive email notifications when any Hardys are listed. Otherwise keep checking the classifieds here because some awesome deals come up here.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
Vintage fly tackle is good place to look for all the different models,etc. Dont buy anything with painted sides..they will chip..to me old is good patina..I like that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: