Northwest Spey Casting Open - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Claves and Other Gatherings
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Northwest Spey Casting Open

Well this is my goal for a new Northwest spey casting comp. it will happen the first weekend of April, so the 5-6. The comp will be in Tygh Valley, Or. It will have ladies, seniors, and open 15 foot divisions. An 18 foot off the platform division. A 15 foot over head division, and a fishing rod division featuring rods no longer than 13.5 feet and heads no longer than 55. If anyone has more input or questions feel free to email me at speycaster@hotmail.com

Travis Johnson
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 PM

Awesome. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:30 PM

Will it be like a clave as well...with vendors and classes and demos?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM

Yes vendors, food, maybe live music on Saturday night. Casting clinics. Plus I want to have some fun.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speyfisherman View Post
Yes vendors, food, maybe live music on Saturday night. Casting clinics. Plus I want to have some fun.
Sounds like fun. I don't know the Tygh Valley area but it's not too far from Redmond. Where would the event be held? What water?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Im in.... Sounds like a good time. If theres any help needed, shoot me a message!!!

Kyle d.

http://www.AnglingObsession.com
Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Internet Scientist

Only thought is that's kind of close to SOR (I think it's the next weekend), but maybe that's the point so international travelers only have to make one trip?
The Spey cast is chiefly remarkable for two distinct facts: (l) That in transit, the line pays a brief visit to the water ; (2) That the cast is entertaining to some, exasperating to others, yet the idol of all. Tips, George M. Kelson

The salmon fly is, after all, a very artificial thing. What it might represent to the salmon is largely conjectural. The Evolution of the Salmon Fly, T.E. Pryce-Tannatt
Old 09-24-2013, 07:13 PM

That is exactly the idea!! You want to get better at competing the we need to compete more often. It will be on Pine Hollow reservoir. More to come for info stayed tuned and don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Travis
Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 AM

Sounds like a fun opportunity. Thank you for putting this together.

Last edited by Whit; 09-25-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Pullin' Thread

Why the fishing rod division not allowing belly's over 55' and rods only up to 13.5'? There are a lot of us who fish mid-belly lines on 13' and 13.5' rods, and mid-belly and long-belly lines on 14' and 15' lighter line (i.e. 6wt to 8 wt) rods when fishing in summer/fall. We also use 15'-18' rods for 10wt-12wt lines in winter/early spring and 15' and 16' 6-9' wt rods for early summer/late fall fishing. And these are our standard fishing rods.

Why not allow the use of lines with any belly length, but limit the rods to not longer than 13.5' for the fishing category? And possibly add in a light line (i.e. 6-8 wt line) category for 14'-16' rods?

Using 13.5' and lines with bellies of 55' or under is a very arbitrary definition of "fishing class" rods.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 PM

I am trying to get more people into the comp casting. I was not trying to offend by that definition. Working in a fly shop gives me good in sight to what people in the Spey fishing community are using and rods 13.5 and shorter are the most common not to say they are the only sold or use. Same goes for the lines. I use longer lines and rods commonly but I would like to see more people compete, and with this they masses would not have to by a bunch of new gear.

Travis
Old 09-28-2013, 09:59 PM

Thumbs up Now worries here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speyfisherman View Post
I am trying to get more people into the comp casting. I was not trying to offend by that definition. Working in a fly shop gives me good in sight to what people in the Spey fishing community are using and rods 13.5 and shorter are the most common not to say they are the only sold or use. Same goes for the lines. I use longer lines and rods commonly but I would like to see more people compete, and with this they masses would not have to by a bunch of new gear.

Travis
Comp casting can go out to 18 foot rods ... but when it comes to real fishing what do 90% of us really use? That to me is a 'casting comp;' real gear in real conditions.

fae
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
If you get a lot of interest i would say limit competitors to one rod class. otherwise the competition will take too long.

one competition i think might be interesting is one where you take a rod reel and line off the shelf and everyone competes with the same set up.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:57 AM

+1

Agree with Rob's comment. Went to one 'open' many years back and it was a disaster. Enjoyed the trip in the motor home and my house guests .... even if one dinner was for 22 people.

Amazing what you can do in a small kitchen, the 'why' was my MH guests were the Carron Casting Crew from the UK/Ireland. 32 footer was packed with people sipping Single Malts and hungry as hell.

'Ms. Gweneth' asked 'What do you have to feed these people?' The two of us got damned inventive, but feed we did. 'Jimmie-Jack' just sat there in amazement as the two of us went at it.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the advice. As for the good and feeding people, there is a commercial kitchen and indoor and outdoor eating areas. There will be as many as 3 casting areas and again the two days are invade of mass participation. I want a lot of people to show. I am ordering food for at least 200.

Travis

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: