Question on SGS Scandit Lines - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 PM

Question on SGS Scandit Lines

From the RB Meiser site:

"The SGS Scandit head will come with a Skagit head looped to accept a balanced looped floating tip.

With the floating tip removed; you have a Skagit shooting head for sink tips and heavy flies

With the floating tip in place; you have a Scandi shooting head looped for Poly Leaders and lighter weight flies
"

We normally select a Scandi line based upon the rod and individual casters style.

The Skagit line is selected for an increase in line weight of 75gr-100gr heavier than the Scandi.
The weight of a Skagit system does not include the tip weight.

I realize that SG is very popular and has a strong following,,, just a point of confusion.

Regards,
FK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Fk,

Why not just give Steve a call or drop an E-Mail ?

Cheers,
sixheads

"Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help."
Alex Haley

WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM

I've had two. Both worked well in Skagit and scandi capacities.

The Skagit portion works because you have a short head (mine were about 24 ft, IIRC) of decent gr/ft.

At the 7-8 ft scandi part, which tapers nicely, and you have a very versatile setup.

The Skagit part handled 10 ft of T-11 with no problem for me.

I use polyleaders with the scandi-tip portion attached. It was sweet.

Call Steve. He will explain it well.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moethedog View Post
I've had two. Both worked well in Skagit and scandi capacities.

The Skagit portion works because you have a short head (mine were about 24 ft, IIRC) of decent gr/ft.

At the 7-8 ft scandi part, which tapers nicely, and you have a very versatile setup.

The Skagit part handled 10 ft of T-11 with no problem for me.

I use polyleaders with the scandi-tip portion attached. It was sweet.

Call Steve. He will explain it well.
Yeah... what Moe said. He's right on the money. I have fished many skagit lines. The SGS Scandit line is a sweet set-up. LOTS of guys on this site fish this line. It's customized for the rod and allows you to keep the process very simple on the water. The integrated ELF running line, particularly if you have a need to mend, etc, is excellent when paired with the Scandit.
Not sure I'll ever get anything different.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 AM
All Tangled Up

FK:

Steve G. has developed a process of incorporating anti-gravitons into line coatings. The weight of the scandit with tip is therefore less than the weight of the skagit head alone. I thought everybody knew this?

Seriously, here are some specs for the scandit system I had done for my Meiser 13' 7/8 MKS (rated grain window 450 to 700 gr). These are rough numbers from memory as I don't have the lines in front of me right now.

Skagit head alone, 530 gr, floating tip, about another 100gr, so about 630 gr for the overall floater.

By comparison, my personal preference for this rod is a skagit head in the 560-580gr range, a scandi head of 480-520gr. Obviously those numbers do not, and cannot, sync up.

Yes, doing touch-and-go casts, going from say a 7/8 AFS (460 gr) directly to the 630 gr scandit floater, it feels a bit weird. Quite deep rod load. But it still can work. OTOH, sustained anchor casts with the floating tip feel quite natural. That is pretty much how I use that system, when I attach a full floating tip, which is not very often.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:14 AM
loco alto!

it is a multi-tip shooting-head that can serve the same all-around role as a Rage line, a bit shorter in the main belly, which gives it slightly different configuration parameters

whether that makes it skagit, scandi, scandit, skagdi, ragedi, ragit, scanrage, skagdiragit ... is up to the user
Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Junkyard Spey

I think SSPey makes a great point. Does it really matter what it's called as long as it flies for the user and fishes in the manner he/she wants?

How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM

I didn't know this! I suppose it makes sense that the skagit set-up should be heavier than the scandi set-up, but how is this scientifically possible?
If my skagit head is xx grains and I add the 10' scandi tip, than the scandi tip has to weigh more - at least until I add my sink-tip to the skagit set-up. Right?
I'm going to have to invest in a scale. I think there's a meth lab at the end of my street. I'll see if I can borrow theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutless View Post
FK:

Steve G. has developed a process of incorporating anti-gravitons into line coatings. The weight of the scandit with tip is therefore less than the weight of the skagit head alone. I thought everybody knew this? .
Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Its basically the same concept as the Rio Scandi short versitip idea. Although I like Steve's floating tip maybe just a little better for mono leaders.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM

I've got two on different rods. While I have a scandi compact and a compact skagit for the rods, I rarely use them. The skagit version of the scandit could probably be looked at as a compromise for convenience, but I rarely feel the need for the beefier compact skagit that I used previously. Flies great, and very convenient.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 PM

Actually FKrow ... The language that you quoted is mine ... Not Steve's.

When we do custom lines for our anglers <> For my rods specifically (irrelevant of the line system requested): I determine the formulas based on the angler's requested criteria ... This taking into consideration the anglers targeted fishing environments, casting styles, and the rods action/length and power ...

... I relay this information to Steve, and he does the engineering.

This process seems to work quite well for the vast majority of our clientele.

The Scandit line system is actually my concept, so if you have any specific questions in regards to this line system, I would be more then happy to discuss your agenda.

Please feel free to call: 541-770-4766

... And again FKrow <> Thanks for giving us the opportunity to explain how we do things in our shop !!

Meiz
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 PM

Read wha Bob said agin.

All the lines are 'one offs' for what he out lines above. I've purchased many rods from The Meiz, Sage, Anderson, Burkie, whom-ever, and each line was built for a specific set of fishing conditions/need. (New one came to the door just minutes ago. Everything I can do to keep my hands off the package until tomorrow!!)

From 3wt's to 10 wts and only one has me scratching my head. You can hand to anyone whose a reasonable caster, and a couple of minutes of 'here's how the rod/line works' and they're busting out line. In some cases far better than me. There are times I want to toss Nate Bailey in the river, this young man is good, like very-very good. And I taught him how to cast a 2hander many years back.

Nate, he's also a new guide here on the upper Rogue and in SE Oregon streams. Contact him.

fae
Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 AM
e-truth detector

As stated a convenient compromise...
I've used em, I like em. But they ain't a skagit and they ain't a scandi. Who cares?

Last edited by SteelerHeeler; 11-08-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Scandit sublima virtus

that pig sure has a purty mouf.

The Skandit concept has been around for quite awhile and has proven to be very versatile. In the days when beercan skagits were pulling lengths of bicycle chain and a half-chicken out and firing it across a swollen river, some of us thought hey, maybe we can lighten this up a bit, retain some versatility, and make it more castable and fun for T&G?
I think Bob and Steve came up with a really great solution to this problem. I don't have to chop and splice to get a line anymore; a skandit will pull a reasonable fly and tip out and fire it with a scandi-tight loop, and everybody's happy. Other manufacturers followed, and did well.

So now that everybody can comfortably snake or single a 4" fly, what's the complaint?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:57 AM

I agree with steelerhealer. A versatile summer line that fished well and was user friendly with the floating tip and poly leader for dry line work. It's floating tip could then quickly be removed and the skagit driver would handle lighter tips and heavier flies if I wanted to get down a bit midday when the sun was high on the water. I'd typically switch to heavier compact skagit if I was committed to sink tips and/or heavier tips and flies or a more specific Scandi or short belly if I was committed to floating lines for the day. But, I like this line or a Rage type line if I plan on fishing floating and subsurface on the same rod in the same day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: