Casting amnesia - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Technique
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 AM

Casting amnesia

The winter started out fine, I started slow and was getting into the "swing" of things. I practiced several times a week before a guided trip with Travis Johnson on the Sandy. Once i got warmed up, and talked to him about some of the issues i perceived i was having, i had the best casting day of my life. I was bombing casts for my skill level, consistently 60-70 ft or so. With tight loops forehand and cachanded, i felt like my cast was really coming together. I watched him cast my setup about 100', it was a great day despite the frigid 10 hr skunking in the rain.

Since that day, i have barely been able to put a decent cast together.
It was like his presence made me a better caster.

I have a terrible case of casting amnesia, the feel i had that day is GONE. I have inserted a pause in the d loop of the skagit casts, I'm consistently blowing my anchor (slow down), aiming my forward stroke down somehow (lifting too far?) and tangling my running line (ironically, amnesia) around the reel on my cachanded casts

How do i find the strength to go on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 02:32 PM

I go through this too, sometimes midway through fishing a long (time or distance) run. My suggestion would be to start shorter again, slow down, and break your cast into several (not more than a few however to keep it simple) 'fundementals' which you focus on and really feel during the cast. I would start with starting short above all........
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MReber View Post
I go through this too, sometimes midway through fishing a long (time or distance) run. My suggestion would be to start shorter again, slow down, and break your cast into several (not more than a few however to keep it simple) 'fundementals' which you focus on and really feel during the cast. I would start with starting short above all........
Great advice! I'm not a great spey caster, but when I go through periods of being in the "zone" and then suddenly suffer all sorts of casting maladies, reeling in everything back to the hangover and then making a few shortish casts generally restores that wonderful rhythm. Something about trying to shoot line to a far run brings out too much speed and power in my casting. Shortening the line helps me focus on timing and proper bottom hand pull.

Jim
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM

Man, I get this alllllll the time... Make beauty casts, tight loops, no effort, and then out of the blue I'm throwing piles of line in a heap.

I try to just back up and slow down. Gradually get the casts out further again.

Jon
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM

When my casting goes for a %#8@, I usually catch myself having sped up, desperate to regain my form. A fix, for me, is to slow everything down, to the point of failure, then slowly speeding up until it comes together again. It's surprising how quickly it comes together after dead slow. With this, I also concentrate on placing, not powering, my anchor into the best possible position to build my D-loop.
If I allow my rod to do what it's designed for, it doesn't really need much extra help from me......
Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 PM

Same as single hand. Trying to reach for distance, start trying too hard.

With single hand you get a tailing loop.

I haven't narrowed down the list of calamities that come with trying too hard with spey casting.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM

I remember something from Derek Brown

that helps me in those situations. The Waltz to the tempo of: lift 1,2, Swing 1,2, Cast 1,2, Plop. May not have the wording exact, but you get the idea. Give it a try.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 PM

I agree, I make some long casts with little effort, let your rod load up and push that line out there.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 AM

I have a drink or a smoke
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM

one thing that works for me is to concentrate on keeping my right elbow tucked tight to my side and as others have said slow down - once your elbow leaves your side you start coming out of the box and going out to the side or worse raising your hand too high and things easily go to hell. When going for distance you really do not need to change your casting stroke - keep it tight and confined and just change the angle of your launch
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM

I had to deal with this pretty much every fishing trip I took this fall and winter. I got my first DH rod in early November so I'm still pretty new, but I did a LOT of practice and took quite a few steelhead trips. One thing I found was that whatever light bulbs had clicked for me on the last couple of trips would inevitably be dark at the start of each new trip. My 70' pretty casts (pretty for my skill set), were back to being 30-40 heaping piles of line/leader with any hopeful running line tangled around my hand and rod. The funny part is that I actually had all the right "ideas" in my head, but my body was just not doing things quite like I thought it should. I wanted to blame it all on a cheap rod, but of course previous successful trips ruined that excuse. Where I'm at now is that it usually is a matter of a few hours, rather than a couple days, before my casts start to flow... so it gets better

Probably more than anything else shortening up again on my casts helped to get the movements more relaxed and fluid. I find that once my casting goes to hell I cannot help but tense up as frustration sets in... and we all know where that leads. So going SHORT helps to just ease up again and get the body flowing more and more fluidly. I also found that switching away from the heavy sink tip and chunky flies for a bit really helps sometimes too. Sometimes switching to a different cast really works for me too, even though I have my normally dominant power cast (snap-T), there are times where I get in a rut of sloppiness on it and need to shift to another set of movements. And if all else fails, it's probably time to give that piece of water that I've been absolutely flogging and frothing a break and take a walk/drive...
JB
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Internet Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofishdude View Post
...a guided trip with Travis Johnson...It was like his presence made me a better caster...How do i find the strength to go on?
Duh, go fishing with Travis again. You're welcome. ()
The Spey cast is chiefly remarkable for two distinct facts: (l) That in transit, the line pays a brief visit to the water ; (2) That the cast is entertaining to some, exasperating to others, yet the idol of all. Tips, George M. Kelson
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to gcarlson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MReber View Post
My suggestion would be to start shorter again, slow down, and break your cast into several (not more than a few however to keep it simple) 'fundementals' which you focus on and really feel during the cast. I would start with starting short above all........
It does help to focus on the parts of the cast and break them down into separate movements. Dec Hogan said in one of his clinics that I attended that if your casting stroke isn't working it's probably the fault of the D-loop, if the D-loop isn't working it's the fault of the sweep, and if the sweep isn't working it's probably the lift that's too fast, leaving no room for acceleration for the remaining cast. So if the cast isn't working, focus on the move before the part that isn't working.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Welcome to the club.

1. Go back to a short cast.
2. Pretend you're in a phone booth and keep your elbows and hands in close.

It'll work.

L
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 PM

thanks y'all,

i went back out a couple times, focused myself on slooooowiiing dowwwwn. Had a pretty decent casting day the last time i was out, felt like i was getting the groove back.

Slowing down and getting my bottom hand in line with the top hand at the end of the sweep (to rotate the d loop into position for the forward stroke) seemed to straighten things out for me. that is, until next time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: