TFO Switch Rod - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Rods
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM

TFO Switch Rod

I am looking into purchasing the Deer Creek Series Switch from TFO (11ft, 7wt.). Brand new to the spey casting game and was looking for any advice on the line set-up. I am thinking about the Rio Skagit short (350-450grain) I mostly fish smaller rivers in Michigan and occasionally get out on the big boys (Muskegon, Manistee). The typical depths I am fishing range from 4-8feet. Any opinions or help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 PM

I like the SA Skagit Extreme and Airflo Skagit Compact or Switch a bit better than the current Rio Skagit offerings.

Unfortunately I have not used the TFO DC Switch rods to give a comfortable recommendation. Best guess for a 7wt would be somewhere in the range of 425gr to 475gr for skagit.

A few 10ft sink tips (T-8, T-11) and perhaps Rio M.O.W. tips would cover the depths.

At 2.8 to 3.0 ratio of head plus tip to rod length: you will have 30ft to 33ft of line outside of the rod tip. Are the small rivers wide enough for this sort of setup?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the set-up recomendations. The smaller rivers are wide enough, but might be tight for some of the runs. In your opinion what would be the easier lines to cast? Why do you prefer the SA Skagit or Airflro over Rio? Since its amateur hour for me with a spey cast looking for something simple. There is rarely a need for me to bomb 60-80ft casts...
Old 11-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Rounder77,

I'm very familiar with the DC 11'0" short two handers.

For the DC 7 weight you may want to consider the following benchmarks:

Skagit Heads: 19' to 20' in length, and 450 to 475 grains <> Tips to 150+- grains 10' and under

Scandi Heads: 27' to 28' in length, and 425 to 450 grains <> Poly/Versa leaders to 65+- grains 10' and under

As an entry level caster: I'd suggest shooting head length(s) to be at the short end of bench, and head weight towards the heavy end of bench.

Practice low hand dominant power, minimize energy ... Keep your stroke SLOW ...

... Have Fun ... };^) ... !!!

Meiz
Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Tips to 150+-grains 10 feet and under means what exactly? I am assuming this is means staying with T-8, T-11, T-14 only with lengths of 10 feet or less? I think T-14 is 14 grains per foot? Please corrrect me if I am wrong. Thanks for the quick reply Meiz! This site rocks, wish I had stumbled upon it 2 years instead of 2 days ago.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:51 PM
the thinking man's idiot

450-480 grain skagit compact + tips 8-10 feet. I fish the 6wt DC switch a LOT and find a 420 grain skagit compact + tips to 10' is a great combo. These rods can do anything a much longer spey rod can do, albeit on a slightly smaller scale. I'd go with a 390 grain compact scandi head if you're looking at any floating tip duty (I use a 360 for the 6wt). FWIW it's not difficult to throw the scandi head, floating tip and 60 feet of running line if you keep things slow and let the rod load on up.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:24 PM

You got the math figured right Rounderr77 ... Grains are grains, so it doesn't matter what the material make-up of the tip is when married to a correctly balanced Skagit head.

The grain distribution within the taper of a Skagit is designed to carry a defined window of grains <> Exceed it, and the line will not like it, go under it and it ain't too pretty either !!!

... The same basic rules apply for the rod's grain window (it is defined on your DC rod): Stay within the rod's engineered grain window and you'll be fine.

The rod does not have the ability to differentiate, nor have a preference for Scandi or Skagit heads ... It only demands that these shooting heads fall within the rods grain carrying capability, and be of a manageable length in relation to the rods length.

The rod's only 11'0" so keep things short in length, including not only the head, but tip, and Versa/Poly leader lengths as well.

Use the Skagit's for down and dirty and the Scandi's for fine and far.

Meiz
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Just call Steve Godshall at Meiser.He knows every TFO DC rods and he can custom build a line for yaHe made me a superb skagit line for my TFO DC
11`#4.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keef68 View Post
Just call Steve Godshall at Meiser.He knows every TFO DC rods and he can custom build a line for yaHe made me a superb skagit line for my TFO DC
11`#4.
+1 he made me a great scandi for my Meiser 11' 7/8wt switch, and his prices are more than reasonable, IMHO.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Born To Fly Fish

Location: based in Columbus Ohio, but anywhere within 400 mi are my home waters
Line for DC

This should help...

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/sup...line-recs.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: