Take action against Bill C-38 - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > General
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
The Spey Pages Team

Location: Somewhere between the Grizzly Bears and the Machine
Take action against Bill C-38

Article in today's Vancouver Sun:

I urge all Canadians to take the simple actions urged here. The wave is starting to build...
http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...533/story.html

BTW - we are still working on unifying the voice of fish and people who care about them.

The Underground

NextCast Casting Team

C.F. Burkheimer Pro Staff

Vice-President Steelhead Society of BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 04:04 PM

I'm not Canadian, but that bill would certainly get the thumbs down from me.....Bevin Baker Tasmania
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Drags are for Sissys

I wrote my my MP today

Here is how I ended the letter, suggest all you Canadians do something similar -

"If you helped create and/or support a Bill that hurt people's health, hurt this great country's natural legacy and helped further the movement of mankind to wallow in its own waste - could you live with yourself?

Please fix Bill C-38"
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM

(From the Sun) In the words of Ms. Atwood: "Whatever your political affiliations, if you believe in free and open democracy, now is the time to speak out."

You're damn right it is. It's time for Harper to listen and respect the voice of all Canadians and stop bending to big oil (last I checked they were doing just fine under the current system).

The use of omnibus legislation is a slap in the face to our democracy and common value system.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM

This is from Nathan Cullen's FB page.

"Update: it looks like voting on C-38 will start today at 7:00pm Eastern. So that's when we'll aim to start our social media chant.

Again, the idea is starting at 7:00pm, tweet or post on Facebook the following:

#ourbudget not yours #ourbudget not yours #13heroes #splititup save our pensions save our shores #C38 #cdnpoli #24in24

Keep tweeting and posting that every hour for the entirety of the debate on Bill C-38 (expected to be 24 hours).

Let's stand up, speak out, and remind the Harper government that this is Our Budget -- not theirs!"

At the end of the day, its not important that you caught a fish, but rather, that you got into the water and tried.

Last edited by bluemoon; 06-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned

Harper Budget Overturns Canada's Environmental Laws for Oil Industry

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/23756

"If our leaders want to pin all their hopes and our future on a twinned pipeline through Alberta and B.C. to ship raw tar sands bitumen to China, then Canadians at least deserve a proper conversation about it. We've seen recent signs of hope, with the Alberta government calling for a national energy strategy, for example, and with people in the media and elsewhere questioning the wisdom of employing an omnibus budget act to gut environmental laws and attack charitable organizations," says David Suzuki, noted scientist and author.

Trusted advisors to government that provide high-quality analysis for balanced policy are being ignored. The 2012 budget eliminates funding for the last remaining government advisory body - the National Roundtable on the Environment and Economy (NRTEE). The NRTEE provides analysis and advice on how to meet our international commitments to reducing greenhouse gas pollution. Many lakes, rivers and streams that provide habitat to fish will be at greater risk of destruction because of changes to the Fisheries Act contained within the budget implementation bill.

Canada is dismantling the nation's entire ocean contaminants program as part of massive layoffs at the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, says Environmental Health News.

Among the scientists terminated are ones who have conducted landmark research about global pollutants for decades: Peter Ross, who is among the world's leading experts on marine mammals and contaminants, Gary Stern, a mercury expert whose work focuses on the Arctic, Michel Lebeuf, who studies the highly contaminated St. Lawrence belugas and Michael Ikonomou, who researches flame retardants and other endocrine-disrupting contaminants in salmon and other ocean life.

Many scientists say the purpose of the move by the Canadian government is not just cost-cutting but to eliminate environmental rules and protect the oil and gas industry.

Last edited by salmo; 06-13-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Drags are for Sissys

yup - my MP wrote me back in regards to my letter to him in concern of the environmental deregulation in Bill C-38 - he stated parts of environmental bodies such as NRTEE were being shutdown to "save costs".

Part of my reply back to him was around the large pensions Canadian MPs recieve and many only after a minimum of a few years in office - and if MPs are truly concerned about cutting costs they would reduce MP pensions from large payouts to something more normal - these guys make me sick
Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 PM

Canada is being sold right now.

At the end of the day, its not important that you caught a fish, but rather, that you got into the water and tried.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Drags are for Sissys

Next election I'll have a stack of cream pies waiting at my front door.

Words can't describe how angry this make me.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 AM

My MP also wrote back claiming they were "fixing" the Fisheries Act. He had decided to support Bill C-38 over two weeks ago and nothing seems to have changed his mind. He is a back-bencher that just toes the company line. I can't believe how angry and frustrated this crap makes me. If even 1/2 of what I have read is correct, they (Conservatives) should be ashamed of themselves. Make no mistake - this is all about $$$$$$$. Unfortunately, next election may be too late to protect our resources.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: