Hardy Marquis Salmon #2 - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Hardy Marquis Salmon #2

I recently purchased a new model Hardy Marquis Salmon #2. It’s a very nice reel but I noticed that there is a fair amount of wobble when line is screaming off the reel. I know the spool is not counterbalanced and wondered if this was just a characteristic of the reel or something I need to talk to Hardy about.

Thanks for any responses.

GBeeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 03:59 PM
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur

Most of these old Hardy models have no counterbalance. It's part of their charm.
They are available for many models as an add-on if you choose.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Counterbalance

Do you know of a source for counterbalances? I can't seem to find one. Not sure I really need to add it but might be interesting to play around with.

GBeeman
Old 05-25-2012, 04:38 PM
loco alto!

I have 5 counterbalances for a Salmon 2 that Bill Archuleta custom fabricated for me. Seemed like a great idea - he's made them for other reels, and they work well.

Unfortunately, it was only after I paid for them that I realized that a Salmon 2 counter balance would not sit directly opposite the handle due to the hole positioning (offset by 1/2 hole). If you want one that'll sit somewhat directly across from the handle, I'm sure it'll work fine, and I'll let it go for cheap
Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 PM

I think you have a problem with the reel. Something is bent or out of whack. I've several of them and none wobble and none have counter-balances...and none are even close to new. I'd check with Hardy to see if the spool is off kilter or even the center-post.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Gordon, I agree with Klickrolf. I have one that I purchased on this site and it spins freely without wobble. Hooked two hot fish on the Bogachiel this winter on it and it performed flawlessly. Is yours English or Korea made?

Mark Freshley
Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Location: British Columbia, Canada fishing the West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and the Clearwater
Way back when I first fished the Dean...those fish are so darned hot, that yes you will get a high speed wobble. The following year I went back up and had counter balances on my reels....no more wobble.

Eumer Tube Fly Prostaff

Nor-Vise Prostaff

Daiichi hooks Prostaff

Airflo Fly lines Prostaff
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Corvus Ossifragus

Every Hardy I own from 2 9/16" St George Jr to a 4" Bougle does this. So does my little Farlow Perfect and my big Henshaw Perfect. If you pull line really fast, you feel the pulsing from the non-counter balanced spool. That's just part of the deal with these reels.

This isn't to be confused with the wobble felt from a bent spool or spindle or play from a worn bushing.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Spey Is The Way

The wobble is very subtle from a running fish. The faster they run the more you will feel it. If something is out of kilter (out of round) you should see it and possibly feel the spool scraping. It would be either the spindle bent or a dent in the cage. If something is wrong I would think you would feel it when reeling in.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Location: British Columbia, Canada fishing the West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and the Clearwater
Gbee......tie you tippet off to a nail on a fence or a tree and walk slowly away from it......then slowly increase the speed. You should feel the off balance start to kick in. Then put a bit of speed to it and break into a light run....at a speed a really hot fish would take off at. The off balance wobble will be most noticeable at higher speeds. It can't help but wobble, it's not balanced properly without a counterbalance. No different that your car tires. The counterbalance will solve the problem.

Eumer Tube Fly Prostaff

Nor-Vise Prostaff

Daiichi hooks Prostaff

Airflo Fly lines Prostaff
Old 06-07-2012, 04:15 PM

Cracked Gear

Thanks to all for the responses. I took a closer look at the spool and discovered that the gear that engages the pawls is cracked. I called Hardy and they said to send it back and they would make it right. I just love good customer service!

GBeeman
Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Spey Is The Way

Not heard of that one. Hopefully it's a rare occurrence and not a sign of things from Korea. Then again maybe it's common.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 PM

I have experienced the Wobble. I bought two new offshore made spools for my Hardy Marquis Salmon reels. When we tried to put backing on using a motorized line winder, both spools vibrated and chattered so badly we had to stop. It was a shock, actually. So why? We had a careful look at the new spools and compared them to the vintage spools in my Spey bag. On the Marquis, the spool is held onto the grooved reel spindle by the spring latch on the spool. There is a brass bushing at the other end of the spool that seats itself on a wee shelf at the base of the spindle. The result is a good tight fit of the spool on the spindle with no slop or play – even on my reels, which are old and well-used. The offshore spools don’t have a bushing. If the machining is perfect, no bushing would be required, I suppose. That is one big “IF”. My two new spools had an enormous amount of play on all of my reels, which explains the vibrating. I contacted Hardy in the U.S. because Hardy Canada is gone. The result pleased me. I returned the two offshore reels to the U.S. office and two “Made in England” spools were sent to me at no charge from the Hardy factory in Alnwick. The spools that I received were new old stock, complete with brass bushings! They fit perfectly. Hardy has put themselves in a bind by closing down in the U.K., putting old Tom and his mates with their old brown shop coats and fifty year old tools out of work. They have shifted off to Korea where old Tom has been replaced by computers and lasers and automatic milling machines and the occasional chap in a white lab coat with a clipboard, and they can’t get it right. And Hardy has flooded the market with all of these new reels, touting their new technology. Wouldn’t take one of these offshore reels as a gift!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 AM

I have the same issue - noticeable wobble of the spool on new Marquis reel.
is it a warranty case? I mailed to Hardy customer service about that

if this is a "bushing" problem , is it possible to order these bushings separately?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Counter Balance

I sent the reel to Bill Archuleta and he added two counter balances to the spool. It's fine now. I'd be interested in hearing what Hardy has to say to you.

GBeeman

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: