The Killer Munroe - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Fishing Forums > Hooks, Feathers and Floss
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 PM

The Killer Munroe

I was reading Wilbur Smith's novel, "Those in Peril" and there was a part where the main characters’ were Spey fishing in Norway for Salmon. That was a first for me, to read of Spey fishing in a novel. They were using “The Munroe Killer” fly. (I do not take credit for the name, Ha Ha.) So I looked one up and tied it Hair Wing style.

I wished that when I stacked two different colors (one at a time) of hair, for the wings, I could get my fat hands to tie SMALLER HEADS. Oh well……..more practice, practice, practice. Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to GR8LAKES FLYER Send a message via Skype™ to GR8LAKES FLYER
Great pattern !!
The Munro Killer has done well for me in the past with it's sweet colour scheme !!

Thread tension/pressure is key to tying , not the amount of thread . Each wrap should be made under tension/pressure and one wrap directly in front of the other . Be sure not to cross wrap the thread . I use 8/0 or 70 denier tying thread , much easier to manage than bulky 6/0 thread . Also , when you tie in your hair for the wing , do you remove the under fur ?? This will also remove bulk and allow proper seating of the hair . Do you size up the hair against the fly and cut to length prior to tying it in ?? This will also help for keeping the head small .

I must also mention the hackle . Less is more . An over hackled fly does not track true , can also flip over and ride hook point up . Dense hackles also do not move well , nor do they pulse and "breathe" ..... they are lifeless .

Great fly and practice does make perfect . These are only minor details that can be easily adjusted to make a good fly a great fly

Mike
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Pullin' Thread

A very simple technique to use when desiring smaller heads on hairwing wets is to

1) tie the rear most hackle color in, wrap it, and tie it off; then

2) tie in the lowest (1st) hair color and clip its butts: next

3) tie in the front color hackle, wrap it, and tie it off; and finally

4) tie in the highest (2nd) hair color.

Doing things this way you will reduce the size of the head automatically because most if not all of the 1st hair color portion of the wing will have its butts coved with the hackle.

Even if you tie it with false hackle instead of full (i.e. wrapped hackle), it will reduce the size of the head. I prefer the look and fishing qualities of wrapped hackle, so I use wrapped hackle including on low-water flies tied on #8 hooks.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 AM

Mike and Flytyer

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Mike, I will try smaller thread next time. I had not heard of using that method (Flytyer) for tying in the hackle and hairwing. Makes allot of sense and I will try it on the next hairwing I tie. Once again this site comes through because of members like you guys.

Take care,
Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 AM

One of the things that has helped me with my tying is thread control. Take the twist out of your thread by spinning your bobbin counter clockwise. This will flatten the thread and help keep it from rolling off the end of the head towards the eye. It will also help when tying in materials with a loose loop and yes I learned it here. I like the looks of this pattern.

Phil
Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM
''Speydo-masochist''

A bit pedantic [but it was pointed out to me by a gillie years ago, & he was bigger than me - big red beard, hairy tweeds, fierce eyes!] the fly is correctly called a Munro's Killer & not a Munroe Killer as it is a "killer" tied by Mr Munro rather than a killer of members of the Munroe clan.
I just nodded agreement......it felt like the safer option...

Regards, Tyke.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 PM

Munro's Killer

Mike and Flytyer and Phil

I retied the “Monroe’s Killer” (Thanks Tyke) and used your suggested techniques and got a smaller head. The stacking rear hackle, lower wing, front false hackle and then top wing really helped, along with flatten 8/0 thread. This is going to get even better with more vice time too.

A Big Thanks’ for your Big Help, Guys.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to GR8LAKES FLYER Send a message via Skype™ to GR8LAKES FLYER
Excellent improvement !! Almost night & day
Nicely executed

Mike
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Released to spawn

A great improvement in the overall tie, especially with the attention to the thread and staged tying of the hackle & wing components.

However, this is a variant of the Munro Killer, as the original has a tail of orange hackle fibres, and the wing should be yellow-dyed grey squirrel tail.

There are other well-known variants of the Munro Killer, and all use yellow-dyed grey squirrel tail as the wing, except for the Dark Munro Killer, which uses yellow-dyed under orange-dyed, under black-dyed squirrel tail, and a GP topping as a tail.

Hope this helps your further journey into this classic Scottish hairwing fly.

Mike

Take only photographs, retain only memories, leave only a good impression of yourself, perhaps just footprints.

Your lines, your rivers, your way!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Internet Scientist

great job, at least a 3-dB improvement!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 PM

splendid job rodney
to my eye the difference is
NIGHT AND DAY
keep moving forward
kevin
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM

That is a beaut Rod. Nice work! Life also got a lot easier when I started using wax on my thread. I made my own using a cobbler wax recipe from an article by Steve Williams in GFF. It uses 2 parts bow rosin, 1 part refined bees wax and 1/8 th by volume olive oil. I used unrefined bees wax. The final product is probably quite a bit harder and has to be warmed up in your fingers. I like it. Looking forward to seeing more of your ties.

Phil
Old 03-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Wonderfull and Cheers

Your tying is getting better and better.
Thanks for sharing,post.
Jin.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 AM

Monroe's Killer

Guys, thanks for the complements and suggestions, helping me through my journey with tying.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Pullin' Thread

Notice how the small adjustments suggested made a huge difference in the look of the fly. As others have said, night and day difference between these as a result.

One last suggestion I have is to leave a little bit of space between the head of the fly and the hook eye. How much is a little space, just enough so there is a bit of shank before the hook eye starts its upward angle. Anywhere from a few hundredths of an inch to about 1/32" will do this. Doing so will make an improvement in the look of the fly and eliminate any "crowding of the eye" that may creap in while providing a sleeking, more streamlined profile to the head and front of the fly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: