Spey O Rama 2012, The World Championship of Spey Casting - Page 20 - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Claves and Other Gatherings
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 2.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM

Spey O Rama 2012 Results

http://flyfishingresearch.net/speyca...orama2012.html

Here is the link to the results of the Men's, Women's and Men's Senior Championships.

http://flyfishingresearch.net/ for science based information on fly fishing.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Flying Spey Fisher

Excellent job Bob! You must be beat.

The CBS-college video and webinar scores / audio commentary worked great here. I had five people over to watch it. Great job to all of the casters!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 PM

great works!

Congrats! Downey,
And also thumbs up for our very own boy Travis! Very impressive!! Brother!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 PM

Great experience - some why's:
  • For the members day I was paired with none other than Gerard Downey, World Record Holder and reigning World Champion. The tone of the session: Gerard was willing to share everything he possibly could about his technique and to critique mine. Though a bit unnerving to see how much I had to learn - it was freaking GREAT!
  • Towards the end of my time shared with Gerard, who comes up to ask some questions of him but Whitney Gould, reigning Women's World Champion. This was a quintessential example of what was everywhere during the five days: the almost incessant sharing of thoughts, techniques, gear,ideas; team to team, individual to individual was truly remarkable. On two separate occasions I personally counted seven different groups kibitzing on distance casting. The best helping the best with their shared passion.
  • I'd be struggling/practicing and people like Gene Oswald, multiyear finalist, or Tommy Aarkvisla, last years longest cast Champion, or Greg Bencivenga, Finalist, THCI, generous thinker in this game, James Chalmers, himself, or Travis Johnson, the distance Champ I have known the longest, each stopped by and, amazingly, had near perfect judgment on how much to offer - knowing that no-one can take in as much as I needed to know.
  • Catch this for a sports story: Prelims of a very competitive field. Gerard Downey had just posted the highest total ever, 692! That score included a new World Record for 15' rod, 185' or 35.388M, beating the old record by 1.38M. Travis Johnson was next up. (Travis had been in the lead at the UK games at Blenheim Castle when Gerard, on his final cast, broke the 18' World Record, so one could argue that Travis was Gerard's biggest threat.) Travis' time had started, he made one cast and his running line became hopelessly tangled. Even before Travis was finding the knot impossible, Gerard was stripping line off his own rod, readying it to give to Travis, -- and it was then Gerard #1 and Travis #2 for the finals. Travis had cast an ominous 666 for his preliminary score, three of four casts with a setup he'd never cast before. I complemented James on the sportsmanship of his teammates. He observed that there was no "I" in "Team." I'm thinking there is a lot of class in those individuals of the Carron Squad.

I could go on and on, but it is hoped the above will provide a notion of just how world class this effort of the GGACC really is. I only wish I knew all the people, beyond Bob Pauli, Tom Keelin., Tom Gong, Glenn, Burt, Cookie Monster... there were a score or more that worked so hard to create this rich spirit of sport, competition and sharing passion. Thank you.

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." John Buchan

Last edited by locvetter; 04-23-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 AM

Amazing casting! It's really motivating to watch that stuff. A big salute to all the competitors and especially the winners.

Off to the river to work on my own game...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Correction to my post re Carron Team

Rob Hesse is the fifth member of the Carron Team. My earlier post is corrected.

Sorry for the oversight Rob. Your casting was terrific--congratulations!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM

Photo of top three

Here I am privileged to pose with the world's three best Spey casters

L-R: James Chalmers, Gerard Downey, RP, Ruairi Costello
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob Pauli; 04-23-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM

A FAQ is "How are ties handled?"

If two competitors are tied, placement is determined by the sum of the second best casts. Tom Keelin's software does this automatically. Long cast is not a factor in tie-breaks.

Note that Women's 3rd place was decided by the tie-breaking formula.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM

Women and Senior Men Championship

Here are the results. Congratulations to the fabulous women casters and to Whitney who is now a 3 time World Champion. The only other person to accomplish this is Gordon Armstrong.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WomenAndSeniorFinal.pdf (10.2 KB, 173 views)

Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up SOR Electronic Scoring and Web Broadcast

the SOR Electronic Scoring and Web Broadcast is the direct product
of Tom Keelin, and really all the credit goes to him. Thanks to Bob Pauli for agreeing to be the broadcaster, and to Jay Grant for his Technical Assistance and the help of CBS.

Again, Tom spent many hours getting this up and going and being on the 2012 SOR steering committee with Tom Gong and the rest of the 2012 team;

and we are all very grateful for his efforts and talent.

Thanks Tom
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 PM

As a participant in SOR for a number of years I have seen the bar raised many times. This years casting was without exception, some of the finest casting I have witnessed. Gerard Downey and James Chalmers from Carron were superb from the moment they arrived at the ponds, truly inspiring and consistent on most every cast. The big Norwegians, Tommy Aarkvisla and Geir Hansen were right there with them cast for cast. Ruairi Costello and Travis Johnson were rock solid as usual. I can't forget about Rob Hesse a member of the Carron team who qualified for the men's finals. He did an outstanding job and has huge potential and he is a wonderful guy. The biggest and most emotional moment for me was when Knut Syrstad stepped into the pond. He is truly an amazing individual and a person I am deeply honored to have come to know and to be able to call a dear friend. I have no doubt he would have won this tournament had his health been better. My new Russian friends Sergy Kluev and Vadim Utrobin are superb casters and a hoot to be around. Sergy qualified in the men's finals with his first visit to SOR and Vadim wasn't far behind. Lastly, my best buddy Greg Bencivenga did a marvelous job and I am very proud of him. He worked very hard the past year and his performance was exceptional.

A very Big Congratulations to Whitney Gould for winning the top spot in the women's event for the third time. She casted beautifully. Way to go Whit!

Also a big congrats to my buddy Tyler Kushnir for taking first place in the men's senior division. I hope he doesn't enter the regular division next year, he casted extremely well.

I would like to thank the Golden Gate Anglers and Casting Club (GGACC) for their tremendous support in putting this event together. So many people to thank, Tom, Mike, Glenn, Burt, Bob, Kerri, Donna and many, many more. It is amazing how you put this event together year after year and everything runs flawlessly. From the moment the casters show up we are treated warmly and feel right at home. There is a great spirit at the club that has existed for many generations and with wonderful people like yourselves it will continue for years to come. Thank you very much for all you do to make this truly the finest Spey Casting event in the world.

Gene Oswald
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Degenerate caster

Mean Gene covered it well
I'm beat!
Cast at pond all day today and tested some line concepts out.
Just about ready to board second flight home.

More later.
NextCast Casting Team/PRO STAFF
Riffle Wrecker flies PRO STAFF

http://longbellycaster.blogspot.com/

http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...3070178916.gif
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Degenerate caster

NextCast Casting Team/PRO STAFF
Riffle Wrecker flies PRO STAFF

http://longbellycaster.blogspot.com/

http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...3070178916.gif
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM
fly on little wing

Send a message via AIM to voodoofly
Quote:
Originally Posted by speyforsteel View Post
Mean Gene covered it well..
Totally agree with Gene-Gene the casting machine.....
And a HUGE THANKS to all of the GGACC volunteers and cookie monsters behind the scene. all of your hard efforts do not go unnoticed.
Gary
Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Sor 2012

Tom Gong, president of the GGACC took over the SOR chair from Donna and did a fantastic job!!

He and is wife Elaine, added the printed program and laborious shopped and worked with so many of the clinic and demonstrators and vendors and sponsors.

Glenn once again had his team of volunteer scorers on the ground making the competition run smooth;

We have new types of awards this year thanks to John Till, Larry Kenny, Don Labbe and Tom Gong- new trophy and wonderful engraved reels with customized stands, again thanks to Don for arranging all that with Ricardo.

Jerry Saltzgaber and Larry Kenny worked on the PR and Advertising for SOR 2012- great job they did as evidenced by the turn out and interest.

Kari helped organize the meals as her role on the SOR steering committee, with special mention to:

Sigi and Tom and their morning breakfast volunteer team;

Thursday dinner was planned and executed by Michael Parsons with help from Glenn and Sigi;

Friday Lunch sponsored by Snake River Outfitters and executed by Michael Parsons with help from Elaine Gong;

Friday Dinner was executed by Gunard and his friend Ivan. They both donated days of preparation, not to mention that it was Ivan who caught those big fat yellowfin tuna himself, and prepared them and cooked them for us! Gunard’s wife Jeanne made the salmon appetizers, which we all enjoyed;

Saturday Lunch was both sponsored and executed by California Fly Shop- with help from Elaine and Dick Yerian; Xav- thank you so much!

Saturday Dinner was sponsored by TFO, and executed by Kari, lamb from Gira Polli of Mill Valley with help from Gunard who picked it up and to Jerry, and Fred for the rest, and as for Saturday's Dinner, Vic Robinson of Heritage Wine Estates an awards sponsor of SOR was so gracious as to pour wine for the dinner (you can still order his special SOR lables and discounted wines, see order form attached); and as if that wasn’t enough, SOR competitor Ed Felice plopped down some of his own wines- La Felice Convivo for all to enjoy.

Sunday Lunch was executed by Dick Yerian and Elaine;- Elaine Gong, thanks so much- the shopping, the programs the name tags, the silent auction, and all done quietly behind the scenes.

Don Labbe organized the McCallan’s scotch tasting and manned the till for the Lunches, while David Borgonovo manned the till for the Dinners

Nick of course was once again the SOR MC for the event and- as I have already posted- the technical Team of Tom Keelin and of course the face of Spey himself here at the GGACC-- Mr. Bob Pauli and his incredible web broadcast- he was perfect! Bob of course put together a wonderful members day instruction on Wednesday where the competitors of SOR volunteered their time teaching the GGACC members and helping them improve their casting skills. The GGACC owes Bob much gratitude for the Spey Instructor program at the Club which he created and continues to run.

The bagpiper Douglas MacLeod was sponsored by Sport Kilt and organized by Kari

And not enough can be said about Michael Parson and all the work he did helping to clean and close the lodge each night- a thankless job but without it, we would have been buried… Thanks so much for all you hard work Michael. We had so many generous volunteer help and thank all the GGACC members who stepped up to make this a wonderful event.

To Tom and Elaine Gong, thank you again for a memorable SOR 2012
Attached Files
File Type: doc Spey-O-Rama Order Form-3.doc (579.5 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by joyfish; 04-24-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: