Short verus Long - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > ISC Archives > ISC Archives
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2001, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Originator: Scott KDate: 5/16/2001 7:25 AM
Quite Simply, if someone is fishing a Short shooting head style line to a Long Belly line, with regards to efficiency, and line control, from your standpoint, which type of line allows you personally to put more fish on the beach, period in more situations than not (Steelhead)?
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2001, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Originator: Frog WaterDate: 5/16/2001 4:34 PM
The fisherman is the key factor in putting fish on the beach.  Flies, lines,or rods make very little difference.
Old 05-17-2001, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Originator: HuckleberryDate: 5/16/2001 9:30 PM
I agree. Three or four years ago a local tackle shop and a fly fishing school organized a course on Spey casting/-fishing on the Margaree River, here in NS, fishing for Atlantic salmon. The guest instructors had come form the Netherlands and both were very accomplished Spey casters. One of them had also fished quite a bit for steelhead in BC. After the course was completed the owner of the tackle shop, a very successful and renowned Atlantic salmon fisherman, took the main instructor out for a day of fishing. The water conditions were typical for fall fishing, water pretty high and cold, and the fish stayed low.
The local guy used his standard 9 ft. 9 wt. rod with sink tip lines and the Spey instructor used a Sage 15 ft. rod with presumably sink tip lines. At the end of the day: local guy 7 fish, guest 4 fish. One should bear in mind that many folks go home skunked under these conditions. I believe Lee Wulff said something to the effect that you can't beat the local guides or fishermen when it comes to locating fish and actually catching them. I don't want to knock Spey rods and fishing, I love it. But as Frog Water said: it's the fisherman, or woman for the sake of political correctness
Tom.
Old 05-17-2001, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Originator: WhistlerDate: 5/17/2001 2:16 AM
Scott, I totally agreee with the others about the individual angler making the difference in productivity. If you were trying to ask if you'd be better off with a shooting head style or long-belly line as an all-around steelhead choice, my $.02:
The shooting head style(windcutter) lines are easier to learn to cast and shoot line thereby allowing more distance to the novice. I think once an angler has sufficient skill to cast a longer belly(accellerator)line it is a more versatile tool. By this I mean, at longer distances the long belly line is easier to control(mend). At short distances(<40') both lines will fish pretty similiar. The longer belly line should have a slightly lower grain weight at very short distances giving a slight casting advantage to the shorter bellied line for most casters. Unless you are always fishing massive rivers the best line is the compromise, something like the mid-spey. Aside from the long distance mending capabilities, the real answer, as mentioned probably has more to do with local knowledge than equipment.
Bria
Old 05-23-2001, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Originator: jerryDate: 5/23/2001 5:08 AM
I use the shooting heads for my sink tip work.  Most of the casts are shorter even on big rivers where one fishes the seams along the heavier water.  On a big river like the Skagit  there are very few drifts where you need to extend the cast.  In the summer when I use a floating line I like the long belly lines.  One is now fishing the tailouts and rock garden type water.  Here long casts are in order.  I do not need to waste time stripping in line.  I can just pick it up and cast it out again.  Jerry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: