Rio outbound or outbound short? - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Spey Basics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 PM

Rio outbound or outbound short?

with the local river closing up for awhile. looking to hit the salt for a couple month for SRC or REzzi and a line that will work for lake fishing for trout.. so I stop by a local shop, they recommend me the Rio outbound short(30' head).
I will be using on my Meiser highlander 11'7"567, when I got home got home and saw the Rio website there is a rio Outbound(at 37') and the outbound short(30') which I got.. can anyone one tell me did I got the right line? thanks jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Rocky Mountains

I use the outbound short and like it a lot for this purpose. You going to make use of that hatch?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:00 AM

hello Is this Jeff??

went out with a my neighbor last sunday, and hit couple spot in gig harbor, I was just using airflow 450 skagit compact, which i use for my river fishing.. boy i was able to overhand 80-100' on a single cast, but it do not look pretty with the skagit head on the salt, so my buddy tell me to go get a clear intermediate line to match my rod. so i got the line today, than saw there two rio Outbound line, so you think its a good match??? jimmy

wtb I understand this line is for overhand cast. so what line should I use on the salt to spey cast with my switch rod?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Rocky Mountains

Yeah, buddy this is Jeff

I'm no expert Jimmy, but from what little I know, I can tell you no over head line is going to be a great spey/skagit casting line, and not skagit line is going to be a great over head line. If you want to over head cast on beaches and lakes then mending isn't an issue. I'd say go with the outbound short. If your set on spey casting you might opt for the longer belly to help turn stuff over. The problem i see is not having a moving river to help anchor ect. The outbound short would fit the overhead bill for sure though. It will roll cast decent too. I fished pyramid a few weeks back with a 5wt switch and I used a Rio outbound WF-6-F. I added a 10ft sinking T-8 leader to it and it casted fine, It allso weighed the floating down for me too. I would opt for the intermediate if I had to do it again though. On my 8wt I have a Airflo 40+ thats nice also.

The outbound is great line, I don't think you'd be sorry.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:27 PM

went out to a lake this weekend and hook into couple monster trout on the switch, hey what kind of rod do you use out in the salt down there? is the airflow 40+ or scientific angler streamer express intermedaite line; are they the same type of line, but different company made? can anyone tell which one is there preference??
Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
FISHIN' FREELANCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamonthefly View Post
is the airflow 40+ or scientific angler streamer express intermedaite line; are they the same type of line, but different company made? can anyone tell which one is there preference??
They are not the same type of line. Airflo's 40+ has a taper a lot like a Skandinavian head, they fly super nice and will overhead or speycast.. by far my preference.. Multiple format choices including 15' intermediate tip and full intermediate.

Good luck..

Word origin & history; Wander "move about aimlessly.. wanderlust" http://local-wanderings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
They are not the same type of line. Airflo's 40+ has a taper a lot like a Skandinavian head, they fly super nice and will overhead or speycast.. by far my preference.. Multiple format choices including 15' intermediate tip and full intermediate.

Good luck..
Thank you much shotgunner, this is exactly what I am looking for, maybe I didn't explain myself very well to the shop owner. I need something that i can use in lake, able to speycast when tides push me back in tight spot.. so which one should I get the full sink or the 15' intermediate? I be using in lake for trout and in the salt for src, rezzi, and salmons. Thanks in advance jimmy
Old 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM

i liked the outbound short with intermediate clear head for turning over and puching long distance with wind. Good saltwater type line, Im guessing. I use it in the GLs beach/harbor/surf areas in 10 foot of water or less.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speyday View Post
i liked the outbound short with intermediate clear head for turning over and puching long distance with wind. Good saltwater type line, Im guessing. I use it in the GLs beach/harbor/surf areas in 10 foot of water or less.
I was told it good for two hand overhand cast, not for spey cast(snake roll, Perry poke, switch cast or single spey) is there a line good for spey cast that is like the intermediate line? would a scandi line and a sink tip be fish effectively as the intermediate lines?

Last edited by Dreamonthefly; 04-27-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 AM

I like longer head lines than OutBound Short for general over head casting because short head limits the range. But for big flies fished close it is good.

With long leader OBS 30ft head Scandi Speys just fine because OBS profile is not what the box picture looks. They are almost level with short tapers in both ends. When you fold the head in two and weight both ends the rear half is slightly heavier than the front half. But there are Scandi Heads like AFS which has about 2/3 of head weight in rear half.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamonthefly View Post
is there a line good for spey cast that is like the intermediate line? would a scandi line and a sink tip be fish effectively as the intermediate lines?
When you forward cast a line using good Scandi technique it does not matter if is it sinking or floating because it is in the air and just the leader and fly hits the water. For me the tip of line hits too but it does not have time to adhere and rob much energy from forward cast. And when the sinking head is short it is rather easy to get out of water with one extra phase added to back cast. The higher density faster sinking heads casts better because of less wind resistance.

When leader is long its the fly itself which sinks it so there is not much difference between F/S1 and I lines. But a line which sinks under the "ripple" is not as effected by the ripple.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: