TFO Deek Creek 11' 6 wt switch..Line Recommendation?? - Spey Pages
Spey Pages    

Home | Sponsors | Spey Clave

Go Back   Spey Pages > Spey Clave Casting Forums > Tackle
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 PM

TFO Deek Creek 11' 6 wt switch..Line Recommendation??

please help. I'll be fishing in Alaska in early July for strictly rainbows. Casting large mouse patterns on the surface as well as leaches and sculpins off the bottom with indicators. I would like one line system for both and don't have a need for any sink tips. any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Rio Switch 6/7 or Airflo Speydicator 6wt. Thank you in advance for input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM

I fish a 6wt speydicator on mine and its really nice for throwing the indi rigs and mending is a breeze .as for swinging its good with 10ft. polyleaders up to the slow sink . I found that when you try to throw a tip heavier than the slow sink poly it becomes to much work. A mouse pattern off the end of a floating polyleader would be fine on the speydicator.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 PM

I've asked both Rio and Airflo for their recommendation. here's their reply:

Airflo:
"I would put together a Skagit/Scandi head system. This consists of a 20lb Airflo Ridged floating running line, one Skagit Compact 420grain head, and one Scandi Compact 390grain head. The running line has a 6 loop in the front end so it is quick and easy to change between the two. The Scandi Compact is for surface and near surface presentations and the Skagit Compact is for chucking sink tips and heavier leeches and the like. With this set up you are able to spey cast quite a distance and fish in any zone with one rod and reel."

Rio:
"Our new Switch line would be my first suggestion. The 6/7 line size would be the one to match to this rod. You can attach our 6ft Spey VersiLeaders for sinking tip use."

anybody had experience with either suggestion?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 PM

TFO Switch 6 wt.

I have that rod and I fish a 17' 420 skagit head. Steve Godshall made it for me after a long conversation we had about a specific fishing situation I had on a certain river with lots of trees, branches, stuff behind me, while trying to cast. This was before the Airflo Skagit Switch came out. I would get a short skagit head and use tips for subsurface work. For the mouse, get a floating MOW tip. A skagit head will turn over a mouse better than a scandi head I would think. Call Steve Godshall, he'll hook you up right.

BEK
Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Beulah Elixir??

I was wondering about Beulah's Elixir scandi switch for mine but haven't been able to find the review to convince me just yet, but it sounds good enough I might just have to pull the trigger. Somebody has to be the guinea pig.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Okay, I'm back from my trip (twas epic). I ended up choosing the Rio Switch line #6/7. I fished the line without any polyleaders, just tied on a 5 foot leader for streamers and mousing. I used the switch rod 90% of the time. The line did a great job, BUT for spey casting I was only able to cast the 55' head. I was not able to shoot any of the running line while spey/skagit casting. After getting frustrated by the two-handed limitations I was forced to use the rod/line over head (single hand) for the rest of my trip. The line did a great job casting long distances and mending was effortless. Overall I don't feel this line was the right choice for my application. Next, I'm likely to try the Airflo Skagit Switch line (450gr). Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM

I used a AirFlo Skagit Switch 450gr this past weekend for the first time. The line is thicker in diameter than the Rio Skagit Short equivalent but it cast about the same.

It works best for me on a 11ft 7wt rod,,,,I think it is too much for the TFO DC 11ft 6wt.

We had a student this weekend with your rod and it was great with the AirFlo Scandi Compact in 330gr. I would recommend the Rio Skagit Short in 375gr or possibly 425gr for that rod.

Regards,
FK
Old 09-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Hi,

I tried the Airflo Switch Skagit both in 390 and 420 grains on this TFO Switch #6, and I find the 390 grains absolutely perfect with T8 M.O.W tips. I used C Spey.
The 420 grains feels much too heavy. It impairs the cast, you can definitely feel the rod straining and the line flies all wobbly and not that far.
This rod doesn't load fully, it works in the top part. If you go too heavy, it won't take it.
It would also probably do wonders with a matching Scandi line - haven't tried one yet.
Has anyone tried it overhead casting? Which line(s) would you recommend?
Cheers

Edit: Airflo 40+ recommended on Airflo chart: WF7 (thanks, FK)
NB: I test cast the Switch Skagit lines while wading less than knee deep; might be that it affected the way the lines loaded the rod...? And my casting technique is certainly not perfect. I'm adding this because the Airflo chart recommends a 420 gr Switch Skagit for that rod; so maybe it's just me.

Last edited by Haystack; 09-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: